Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 11:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,914,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentosa712 View Post
Are Gentile converts to Judaism expected to follow the 613 mitzvot? For example, when the Moabitess Ruth converted, would she have followed them?
Yes...When a Gentile converts to Judaism he/she is viewed as if he/she was there at Mt. Sinai and accepted all that HaShem has commanded...Wait for the Rabbi to concur...

Old 02-20-2016, 07:57 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,855,616 times
Quote:
Are Gentile converts to Judaism expected to follow the 613 mitzvot? For example, when the Moabitess Ruth converted, would she have followed them?
Converts to Judaism are Jews, and we all have the same obligations.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 PM

2,673 posts, read 1,250,190 times
Quote:
Just as a clarification, while we account for 613 mitzvot, I don't think that all 613 are incumbent on most people. Laws regarding the priestly service, or farming for example are not followed by non-priests or non-farmers.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:45 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,914,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Just as a clarification, while we account for 613 mitzvot, I don't think that all 613 are incumbent on most people. Laws regarding the priestly service, or farming for example are not followed by non-priests or non-farmers.
Ah yes...I forgot that part...

Old 02-21-2016, 12:01 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,579,335 times
Quote:
In a nutshell, evil is temptation -- it is the urge to go against what we know is right. Satan, though, is just an angel who works for God. His job is (among other things) to help set up those temptations and then speak out against us when we make a bad choice.

After death, we are judged and if we are found to need to be reminded of the primacy of God, there is a period of "re-education" -- a separation from the divine during which we are faced with our bad decisions and remove our evil temptation until we can be back in the presence of the divine.

This is, by the way, a reduced and simplified description, but it should give you a starting point.
Thanks for your response.
As thoughtful followers of our traditions, Im sure we are troubled by the issue of evil. Your response mentions the reaction we have to our consciences I believe. Presuming G-d informs our consciences. But we know some people arent as ethical or as good as others. Also illness and exploitation and nationalism. This issue causes suffering to my heart.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:21 AM

21,959 posts, read 19,080,264 times
Quote:
for those we can't fulfill (such as farming or those that can only be done in Eretz Yisrael), aren't we still obligated to learn the laws pertaining to these mitzvot?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-22-2016 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-22-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
for those we can't fulfill, such as farming or those that can only be done in Eretz Yisrael, aren't we still obligated to learn the laws pertaining to these mitzvot?
Yes, limud is not dependent on being able, personally to fulfill it. We learn certain ones in anticipation of being able to learn, and we learn others because understanding the halachic process and having a well rounded knowledge base is important.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:58 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,704,632 times
QUESTION:

I am not Jewish. However, a Rabbi at a temple in my neighborhood has agreed to help me with a project I am working on. I will be meeting with him one time and hope to get some answers about my project and input from him.

I would like to bring him a gift as a thank you for his help. What should I bring? I was thinking a bottle of (kosher) wine and maybe cookies or something but I don't know what is an appropriate gift.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-05-2016, 11:30 AM

21 posts, read 20,515 times
Were was Solomon's temple built? 2 Chronicles 3:1 describes it being built on the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite. Elsewhere I have read that it was built on the spot where Abraham attempted to sacrifice Isaac. Are they the same location?

Old 03-05-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
QUESTION:

I am not Jewish. However, a Rabbi at a temple in my neighborhood has agreed to help me with a project I am working on. I will be meeting with him one time and hope to get some answers about my project and input from him.

I would like to bring him a gift as a thank you for his help. What should I bring? I was thinking a bottle of (kosher) wine and maybe cookies or something but I don't know what is an appropriate gift.

Any suggestions?
a (closed) bottle of kosher wine is nice but wine is a taste thing and not everyone likes the same one. Plus it can range from cheap to pricey. Also, if you get any other food product, it must be supervised as kosher. I like when people get me an Amazon gift card...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism