Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 08:09 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,440,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Thank you.

Now for a follow-up. The quote said that this book was not accepted into the Hebrew Bible. Was there a gathering or Council which determined just which books were accepted?

El Nox

Old 03-14-2016, 10:46 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,156,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Thank you.

Now for a follow-up. The quote said that this book was not accepted into the Hebrew Bible. Was there a gathering or Council which determined just which books were accepted?

El Nox
Any idea of a Council at Yavne is largely discredited

Old 03-15-2016, 06:55 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,440,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
I read all of the link and I guess I have to think about it. I don't see the "common denominator" of those Jewish texts. Christianity uses the phrase "inspired" for the New Testament ... but I find that rationale to be weak. I guess I was hoping that there was a more definitive set of criteria for the OT, but maybe the Deuteronomy phrase of adding and subtracting is more telling.

From the link ...

Thus, there is no scholarly consensus as to when the Jewish canon was set. Nevertheless, the outcomes attributed to the Council of Jamnia did occur whether gradually or as the ruling of a definitive, authoritative council. According to Gerald Larue,[19] the criteria used in the selection of sacred books to be included in the Jewish canon have not been set forth in any "clear-cut delineation"

Thank you for your time and effort.

El Nox

Old 03-17-2016, 05:39 PM

9,766 posts, read 15,720,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This caught my eye.

I worked in the Flatiron district of Manhattan for a number of years, an area where a lot of young junkies set up shop with cardboard signs written in magic marker putting forth a tale of woe they hope will catch the sympathy of passersby in order to support their habits.

I noticed over the years that the sum of money they often mention--for the "bus ticket home", or to "replace the stolen sleeping bag"--is $18! This has baffled me for years. I even asked on the NYC forum if anyone knows if this is the price of a bag of heroin. It seems like such a random amount of money to seek, yet I saw it too many times not to have been a coincidence.

Now I wonder if the addict subculture is aware that there is a group in the population to whom $18 has meaning, and they purposely word their signs to manipulate that. Very interesting.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,920,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I read all of the link and I guess I have to think about it. I don't see the "common denominator" of those Jewish texts. Christianity uses the phrase "inspired" for the New Testament ... but I find that rationale to be weak. I guess I was hoping that there was a more definitive set of criteria for the OT, but maybe the Deuteronomy phrase of adding and subtracting is more telling.

From the link ...

Thus, there is no scholarly consensus as to when the Jewish canon was set. Nevertheless, the outcomes attributed to the Council of Jamnia did occur whether gradually or as the ruling of a definitive, authoritative council. According to Gerald Larue,[19] the criteria used in the selection of sacred books to be included in the Jewish canon have not been set forth in any "clear-cut delineation"

Thank you for your time and effort.

El Nox

- Christians interpret the word 'Inspiration' as God-breathed; for every word of 'the bible'.
As their false doctrine teaches them that their whole 'bible' O.T and N.T. is God's word God-breathed.
"Infallible and Inerrant".

To which they associate this verse written of Paul stating:
"All Scripture is given by the Inspiration of God
and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
that the man of God may be complete thoroughly equipped for every good work." - 2Tim.3:16

- What they don't know, as I guess no one but me has ever done a complete study of
the words 'Scripture' and 'Scriptures' used in the new testament. (LOL)
Is that, the only times Jesus and His Disciples used the words 'Scripture' and 'Scriptures' is when
they were in fact referring to what The Prophets Of God Wrote.

So when Paul made that statement about "All Scripture" ?
He was referring to what The Prophets Of God said.
And not to what christians say about the letters of Jesus disciples.

No where did Jesus, or His disciples consider what they wrote as 'Scriptures'.
Unless they were in fact every-time talking about what The Prophets Of God said.
Astonishing to me that no christian scholars or 'church leaders' have never noticed that.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:27 AM

88,213 posts, read 84,110,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- Christians interpret the word 'Inspiration' as God-breathed; for every word of 'the bible'.
As their false doctrine teaches them that their whole 'bible' O.T and N.T. is God's word God-breathed.

and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
that the man of God may be complete thoroughly equipped for every good work." - 2Tim.3:16

- What they don't know, as I guess no one but me has ever done a complete study of
Is that, the only times Jesus and His Disciples used the words 'Scripture' and 'Scriptures' is when

Unless they were in fact every-time talking about what The Prophets Of God said.
Astonishing to me that no christian scholars or 'church leaders' have never noticed that.
A minority subset of Christianity believes what you said above, not Christianity overall. What is your agenda for posting false information--and completely off topic? What does this have to do with asking Jews about their religion? Do you think they are stupid people who will swallow what you tell them? Or that they even CARE about the subject lol?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 AM

- Nope.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:36 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,909,206 times
Quote:

That's old news to me...

Old 03-24-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A minority subset of Christianity believes what you said above, not Christianity overall. What is your agenda for posting false information--and completely off topic? What does this have to do with asking Jews about their religion? Do you think they are stupid people who will swallow what you tell them? Or that they even CARE about the subject lol?

- I have never heard any christian say that they believed what I found by
studying every verse on the words 'scripture' and 'scriptures'.
So you did that study too?
Forgive my ignorance I would not want to post false information about anyone.

By the way, where is a site of these 'subset' christians that know what I do?
I would like very much to talk with them too.

- I posted my findings in relation to the post that I put within my post of
the comment he made on the word 'inspire' that christians believe.
So I felt it was okay to submit my finding on it to him. I didn't know he was off topic as well.

- Coming from a christian background when someone comments about what christians believe,
even in this, ask a Jew thread. To that of a christian understanding being 'weak.
I might know why and say so.
I apologize if no one thought my findings were accommodating to his comment.

* Thanks for being concerned about me and others
but I think we are able to handle our selves from here.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:14 AM

88,213 posts, read 84,110,758 times
Quote:
- I have never heard any christian say that they believed what I found by
studying every verse on the words 'scripture' and 'scriptures'.
So you did that study too?
Forgive my ignorance I would not want to post false information about anyone.

By the way, where is a site of these 'subset' christians that know what I do?
I would like very much to talk with them too.

- I posted my findings in relation to the post that I put within my post of
the comment he made on the word 'inspire' that christians believe.
So I felt it was okay to submit my finding on it to him. I didn't know he was off topic as well.

- Coming from a christian background when someone comments about what christians believe,
even in this, ask a Jew thread. To that of a christian understanding being 'weak.
I might know why and say so.
I apologize if no one thought my findings were accommodating to his comment.

* Thanks for being concerned about me and others
but I think we are able to handle our selves from here.
OK, to be clear, I wasn't referring to the study on the word "Scripture" referenced in El Nox's post.

My complaint was about your claim that Christians believe in the "God-breathed" claim as all Christians think that way. So many of us do not and study scripture from a completely different point of view, and see the raising of the Bible to equality with God Himself as idolatry. The Bible when viewed in that way is often misused to harm others. It just gets tiresome to see us all lumped that way. I hope you can understand where I am coming from.

Fundamentalist Christians are everywhere and probably have many websites. Baptist, Church of God, and Assembly of God churches are generally fundamentalist (meaning they believe the Christian scripture is the inerrant, actual words of God.)

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-24-2016 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism