Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 08:23 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
Ok, so why dont American Jews move to Israel? They got a Jewish state after 2000 years, so go there!
Do Chasidim hate Zionists?
1. Some American Jews do, but simply having a state doesn't require everyone who supports its existence move there. There are Irish Americans who have not moved to Ireland.

2. Some ultra Orthodox Jews (mostly Satmar or a subgroup of Satmar) have a problem with a secular state which exists now. They want the secular state to be replaced with a purely religious one.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:41 PM

566 posts, read 503,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
There are Irish Americans who have not moved to Ireland.
no, because they emigrated OUT of Ireland, with no desire to return.
bad example as the Irish did not lose their land 2000 years ago, and have not fought wars to return from other lands back into Ireland.

About 1/2 of Jews do not live in Israel.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:08 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
no, because they emigrated OUT of Ireland, with no desire to return.
bad example as the Irish did not lose their land 2000 years ago, and have not fought wars to return from other lands back into Ireland.

About 1/2 of Jews do not live in Israel.
And the Jews were chased out of Israel with the intent to move back. But over time, though they identify with a homeland, many don't feel the urge to return. Even in biblical times, many didn't return from the exile after the 1st temple was destroyed.

So an African American's not returning to Africa doesn't negate his identity or his belief that he is inextricably linked to Africa whether or not he lives there.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 PM

566 posts, read 503,479 times
I dont see European-Americans boarding planes back to Europe.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:33 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I dont see European-Americans boarding planes back to Europe.
Europe won't let us in, except as tourists.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Europe won't let us in, except as tourists.
They let me...

Old 08-05-2016, 10:48 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
What would Tziker be?

Let me explain. I gave up eating meat last year, but I have an older cat who is sick--she has inflammatory bowel disease. It can be treated but not cured, and one of the things recommended to help IBD cats is to give them bone broth. I decided to look for some soup bones to make the broth, but my local supermarket in NJ didn't have any. So while at work in Boro Park, I went to a nice grocery store where I buy lunch and fruit sometimes (Gourmet Glatt on 39th and 13th Avenue) and I decided to look for bones there. They did have some, very cheap, very little meat on them, and they were labeled for "Tziker". I bought them and they made a good broth, but I wondered what Tziker was. I looked it up but nothing by that name comes up in a search.

And while I'm at it...there's another little store in the neighborhood that has a pay-by-the-pound salad bar and some other foods. They have prepared foods to buy, and one of the things is potato kugel. I've never had it and want to try. It's in a thing that keeps it hot and it is cut into rectangles and it says it is $2.50 or something. Does that mean by the pound, or do you buy kugel by the piece? The guy behind the counter is always talking on his cell phone and I don't want to interrupt to ask. Please help the hungry goy.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:28 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What would Tziker be?
This song is all I could find, not sure how it applies to broth bones, though:

Manhattan 2.0 - All You Got

Vu bist du gevehn, az der gelt iz gevehn?
Leben iz gevehn tziker zees
Haiynt bist du duh, kein gelt iz nisht duh
Lomer aleh nemehn ah tz’gis

The translation is in the comments...

Where were you when the money was here?
Life was sugar sweet
Today you are here, there is no money
Let's all take a drink

As far as the kugel goes, just buy one and see what you get?

Old 08-09-2016, 10:50 AM

170 posts, read 106,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What would Tziker be?

Let me explain. I gave up eating meat last year, but I have an older cat who is sick--she has inflammatory bowel disease. It can be treated but not cured, and one of the things recommended to help IBD cats is to give them bone broth. I decided to look for some soup bones to make the broth, but my local supermarket in NJ didn't have any. So while at work in Boro Park, I went to a nice grocery store where I buy lunch and fruit sometimes (Gourmet Glatt on 39th and 13th Avenue) and I decided to look for bones there. They did have some, very cheap, very little meat on them, and they were labeled for "Tziker". I bought them and they made a good broth, but I wondered what Tziker was. I looked it up but nothing by that name comes up in a search.

And while I'm at it...there's another little store in the neighborhood that has a pay-by-the-pound salad bar and some other foods. They have prepared foods to buy, and one of the things is potato kugel. I've never had it and want to try. It's in a thing that keeps it hot and it is cut into rectangles and it says it is $2.50 or something. Does that mean by the pound, or do you buy kugel by the piece? The guy behind the counter is always talking on his cell phone and I don't want to interrupt to ask. Please help the hungry goy.
Tziker is Yiddish for sugar. You bought sugar bones, which in Yiddish refer to the softer edible parts of the bone. I'm not sure if Americans call it the same thing.

That's a weird way of spelling it though. Usually it's spelled "Zucker".

Old 08-09-2016, 03:08 PM

467 posts, read 352,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D231 View Post
Tziker is Yiddish for sugar. You bought sugar bones, which in Yiddish refer to the softer edible parts of the bone. I'm not sure if Americans call it the same thing.

That's a weird way of spelling it though. Usually it's spelled "Zucker".
Thanks for clearing that up!

As far as the pronunciation (thus English spelling), Yidn from certain parts of eastern Europe say kigl instead of kugel, git instead of goot, meshige instead of meshuge, etc. So I'm pretty sure it's the same thing here. I don't know the actual geography of the differences, but I suspect that there is a book or two on the subject, including one by one of my sister's in-laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism