Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 01:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Being a Jew is illegal = not Kosher...See how that works?...
My point is that to be a kosher Jew (that is follow halachah Jewish law) i dont do something if it is illegal in the land I am presiding in.

The example under discussion was illegal recreational drug use.

However now Pruz has given an example and got me thinking There are plenty of times we as Jews do break the civil law to fulfill Torah. Rabbi Akiva and others throughout the centuries taught Torah, all across Russia Jews risked their lives to teach Torah with underground schools.

So can we hear more from those knowledgable in halachah on that? Is it that we can break the law to fulfill Torah?

Old 07-04-2017, 01:49 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
So how does that work in those countries? How do Jews in those countries get kosher meat? If I am understanding correctly what you are saying that kosher schechting is illegal in those countries. What do Jews do? This is fascinating.
Become vegetarians.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Become vegetarians.
Can they import it? Can they bring into the country kosher meat from elsewhere?

It looks like kosher meat is imported and sold in these countries. I will study further.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-04-2017 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 02:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Can they import it? Can they bring into the country kosher meat from elsewhere?

It looks like kosher meat is imported and sold in these countries. I will study further.
Extremely expensive. All Kosher and Halal restaurants are 4-5 $ signs (5 is most expensive)

Kosher food - ChabaDanmark

Old 07-04-2017, 07:31 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
My point is that to be a kosher Jew (that is follow halachah Jewish law) i dont do something if it is illegal in the land I am presiding in.

The example under discussion was illegal recreational drug use.

However now Pruz has given an example and got me thinking There are plenty of times we as Jews do break the civil law to fulfill Torah. Rabbi Akiva and others throughout the centuries taught Torah, all across Russia Jews risked their lives to teach Torah with underground schools.

So can we hear more from those knowledgable in halachah on that? Is it that we can break the law to fulfill Torah?
See?...This is what I mean...Where do we draw the line?...

I have read that, at times, we must break Torah in order to uphold a higher Torah...Like saving a life...

Old 07-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
It's still a federal offense richard.

From the link rose posted

"In the case of marijuana, this means that its nation-wide ban overrules the legality within states, and the "law of the land" is that it is illegal.... it is still illegal all over the country.

"Therefore, the rules of Dina Demalchuta alone are enough to prohibit the smoking of marijuana in the United States. And in general, for the purpose of determining what the Dina Demalchuta is when state law contradicts federal law, federal law is the law of the land."

According to halachah

And also according to secular law. That's why federal hospitals do not dispense or prescribe even medical marijuana. It is violation of a federal law. On federal employees:

"Marijuana may be legal now in the District of Columbia, but the hundreds of thousands of federal workers in the nation’s capital and other locales that now allow recreational use of the drug should think twice before sparking up that joint.

"An executive order dating back to the Reagan administration prohibits federal employees from using illegal drugs, on or off duty. And though recreational pot is now legal in the District — as well as [some states] — the prohibition still applies to the ranks of federal workers who live there.

“The federal law prohibits marijuana use,” said R. Scott Oswald, managing principal at The Employment Law Group P.C. “Say you work for DOD [the Department of Defense] in D.C., the fact that it’s legal has no bearing at all for the federal worker.”
No...the federal law does not overide state law...

Old 07-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
No...the federal law does not overide state law...
It's a federal offense Richard. It doesn't get any simpler than that. These are criminal lawyers providing this information in the articles. Are you going to call them lemmings?

"Any marijuana possession, cultivation, or use is a federal crime."

Legal pot? Not for federal workers | TheHill

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...deral-laws.htm

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-04-2017 at 07:54 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
It's a federal offense Richard. It doesn't get any simpler than that. These are criminal lawyers providing this information in the articles. Are you going to call them lemmings?

Legal pot? Not for federal workers | TheHill

Medical Marijuana and Federal Law | CriminalDefenseLawyer.com
Maybe do a little study on state law vs. Federal law...Yes, if you work for a Federal agency, it is illegal....But, the Federal government cannot tell the state's what to do...

Old 07-04-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe do a little study on state law vs. Federal law...Yes, if you work for a Federal agency, it is illegal....But, the Federal government cannot tell the state's what to do...
It's a federal offense even if you don't work for the federal government.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Yup I did

Here's what I found.

"The law that applies to situations where state and federal laws disagree is called the supremacy clause, which is part of article VI of the Constitution. The supremacy clause contains what’s known as the doctrine of pre-emption, which says that the federal government wins in the case of conflicting legislation. Basically, if a federal and state law contradict, then when you’re in the state you can follow the state law, but the feds can decide to stop you. When there is a conflict between a state law and federal law, it is the federal law that prevails. For example, if a federal regulation prohibits the use of medical marijuana, but a state regulation allows it, the federal law prevails.

"At the federal level there is the Controlled Substances Act, which classifies marijuana as a Schedule I substance. This act considers pot to have a high potential for dependency and no accepted medical use, making distribution of marijuana a federal offense. In October of 2009, the Obama Administration sent a memo to federal prosecutors encouraging them not to prosecute people who distribute marijuana for medical purposes in accordance with state law. So what happens when you get caught with the green bud in a state that allows it (for now let’s say medicinally)?

"Gerald Duval Jr thought his Michigan pot farm was protected under state law — then the feds came. Now, he will soon serve a 10-year prison sentence for breaking the U.S. government’s marijuana regulations. "

How about you Richard what have you come up with in your research?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4676579
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism