Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 11:07 AM

10,084 posts, read 6,392,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
These are all Germanic names that came into existence in the early 1500s that have been Americanized. Gold/Silver in the first part is the material they worked with. The second part is what they did in relation the material. So -stein would have been a person who beat the metal into a shape, -berg was a person who looked for the raw materials -farb was a mixer to create different lusters, -feld was another person who looked for materials, -haber was a person who stored it, -hagen was a transporter, -in is a descriptor, - man was a generic term for any occupation,-waser was father figure or business leader. Wolf is the animal. Fox is also the animal, but probably looked betters than fuchs.
The above posted is extremely informative. Thank you!

Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,976,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I have no interest in history of illegal substances. The only element that is pertinent for me with regards to Torah is whether it is illegal and whether it is kosher.
There is nothing wrong with educating yourself...

Old 07-08-2017, 06:23 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,927,406 times
Quote:
These are all Germanic names that came into existence in the early 1500s that have been Americanized. Gold/Silver in the first part is the material they worked with. The second part is what they did in relation the material. So -stein would have been a person who beat the metal into a shape, -berg was a person who looked for the raw materials -farb was a mixer to create different lusters, -feld was another person who looked for materials, -haber was a person who stored it, -hagen was a transporter, -in is a descriptor, - man was a generic term for any occupation,-waser was father figure or business leader. Wolf is the animal. Fox is also the animal, but probably looked betters than fuchs.
Interesting, do you think these Germanic names had anything to do with
God's people whom He blessed with working on His Temple?

Old 07-08-2017, 01:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,692,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Interesting, do you think these Germanic names had anything to do with G-d's people whom He blessed with working on His Temple?
No, Their names were related to the occupation their ancestors held in Germany. The German word for Gold is Gold- and the German word for Silver is Silber-. Yiddish follows a similar path of Gald- & Zilber-. Hebrew uses Zahav- & Kesef-. And if you want Arabic then it's Dhahab- & Fida-. Thus no connection to Middle Eastern versions of the word.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:03 PM

23,050 posts, read 10,373,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Actually, I do.
COOL BEANS, Dang the bad luck, I was born with too much Cherokee to have any facial hair, it's really a serious downer when you want to put on a robe to be the false prophet, can't fool nobody without a beard lol.

Your Jewish huh?

Orthodox, attend synagogue?

If you don't mind me asking, can you tell us anything about yourself? Sound like a really cool dude. I'm Joel, 56 I think. Born on the 7th of Tevet, Irish and Cherokee, non Jew. I live around Houston.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:00 PM

612 posts, read 307,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
COOL BEANS, Dang the bad luck, I was born with too much Cherokee to have any facial hair, it's really a serious downer when you want to put on a robe to be the false prophet, can't fool nobody without a beard lol.
The beard is not that important. The main thing is sincerity. Once you learn to fake that, you have it made.
Quote:

Your Jewish huh?
Yes.
Quote:

Orthodox, attend synagogue?
Yes, yes.
Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, can you tell us anything about yourself?
Not much on a public forum.
Quote:
Sound like a really cool dude.
See "sincerity," above.
Quote:
I'm Joel, 56 I think. Born on the 7th of Tevet, Irish and Cherokee, non Jew. I live around Houston.
Born in Shevat, vaguely fifteen years before you. All ancestors Jewish, AFAIK. Stand by for slight amplification by direct message within a day or so, or when I get a round tuit.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:13 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,692,475 times
The 17th of Tammuz
Jews fast, mourn on 17th Day of Tammuz - Israel National News
17th of Tammuz: History, Laws and Customs - >

fyi
It is permitted to wake up early before the fast begins and eat, provided that prior to going to sleep one had in mind to do so.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
The 17th of Tammuz
Jews fast, mourn on 17th Day of Tammuz - Israel National News
17th of Tammuz: History, Laws and Customs - >

fyi
It is permitted to wake up early before the fast begins and eat, provided that prior to going to sleep one had in mind to do so.
Always good posts Phuzhany.

I like this information that comes with your post from Chabad.

Jerusalem Walls Breached (69 CE)
The other three national tragedies mourned on Tammuz 17 are connected with the Roman conquest of Jerusalem and their destruction of the Second Temple in the year 69 CE:
--The walls of the besieged city of Jerusalem were breached.
--The Roman general Apostomus burned the Torah and,
--placed an idol in the Holy Temple.

I think some people look for info like this.

Nothing better than looking back on history, and when you do that, you can't help but think History is going to repeat itself.

The world can't tolerate somebody who loves and keeps the commandments of God, All the lawless come walking like Antiochus Epiphanies to set up an abomination in the Temple of God.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:45 PM

102,162 posts, read 107,578,294 times
I have a question for the Designated Authority on this thread.

Jesus' ministry was said to cause a revolution in the image people had of God at that time; Jesus preached that God was forgiving and loving, whereas the God of the Old Testament is wrathful. From that ministry, a new religion was created eventually. Did Jesus' ministry also influence beliefs among practitioners of Judaism with respect to God?

Bonus question (maybe dumb question): Do Jews believe Jesus died on the cross? Or in any case, not long thereafter, as a result of his ordeal on the cross? I ask, because I've come across reference two a couple of apocryphal books of the Bible that discuss his ministry and life after recovering from his ordeal.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I have a question for the Designated Authority on this thread.

Jesus' ministry was said to cause a revolution in the image people had of God at that time; Jesus preached that God was forgiving and loving, whereas the God of the Old Testament is wrathful.

If Jesus came bringing a different religion that teaches lawlessness, then he was a false prophet deserving of death. If you show a Jew bringing a different word than the word of God, he is a false prophet. If you show a Jew coming to make the God of Israel wrong in anyway, what would it matter what Jesus said anyway, I mean, after you have brought down the God of Israel, who can make a claim of anything at all? Who can raise a God after he has been brought down?

If you think Jesus came teaching a different thing than the laws of Moses teach, then you should consider throwing the words of a false prophet out the window because false prophets come to teach the children of Israel to turn away from the God of Israel and his commandments, if you think Jesus did that, then Jesus is a false prophet deserving of death, and either way, if you prove God's commandments unjust, there is no God as far as I can see.

In one place we are told that the commandments of God can be summed up as loving your neighbor as yourself, what happened to that? The law is the definition of sin, and if you love your neighbor as yourself, you will not break the law and sin.

The law is made so that things will go good for you, and whoever keeps the laws and teaches others to keep the laws will the greatest in the kingdom of heaven, that is, from Jesus advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism