Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM

294 posts, read 191,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to Judaism 101: Aseret ha-Dibrot: The "Ten Commandments", Judaism, unlike Catholicism and Protestantism, considers "I am the L-rd, your G-d" to be the first "commandment." Catholicism, unlike Judaism and Protestantism, considers coveting property to be separate from coveting a spouse. Protestantism, unlike Judaism and Catholicism, considers the prohibition against idolatry to be separate from the prohibition against worshipping other gods.

Additionally, what translation should we use? Should Judaism's sixth declaration be rendered as "Thou shalt not kill" as in the popular KJV translation, or as "Thou shalt not murder," which is a bit closer to the connotations of the original Hebrew though still not entirely accurate?

I am at a loss as to why in the world the First Jewish commandment is to Believe in God?
If there is no belief, there wouldn't be a need to list the remainder.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
What I found most interesting is that the ten sayings include all of the commandments (613), not just ten. There are many sub categories which fall under each of the main ten categories. That makes perfect sense to me.

Katie
Which is interesting to me because they are more encompassing which is what Jesus was teaching.

For example:
6. Prohibition of Physically Harming a Person This category is derived from Ex. 20:13, saying, "You shall not murder." So they seem to have taken it deeper from the beginning. Although Jesus took it even further still, by pointing out if you have malice in your heart, you have broken this commitment. The fact that you didn't actually commit violence is really of litle value, because the heart is still sick.
Still very interesting to read. Thanks for the links.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,346,099 times
Quote:
Hi Flip,

If you get sick of my questions, let me know. I do appreciate your patience. I have learned a lot from this thread.

My next question is this. Who is God speaking to in Genesis 1:26 when He says, "Let US make man in OUR image."

Do Jews see the US and the OUR as the future Messiah?

Who is God speaking to in this verse?

Katie
Katie, ask away!!! It's the purpose of this thread. Now to your question, I'll need access to some of my sefarim (religious books) to give you the best possible answer. This is a question I've heard many times before. For sure it's not any kind of reference to messiah (as there are not ANY references to moschiach in the Torah). Give me some time to answer this one for you. I recall Rashi (11th century commentator on the Torah - perhaps the most famous to ever live) had an excellent explanation on this question.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
I am at a loss as to why in the world the First Jewish commandment is to Believe in God?
I hate to sound like a broken record, but the answer to this question is debated at length in the Talmud. How in the world could you have any idea how to answer your very good question without the proper guide books? Or the proper teacher?

But like Katie pointed out, all 613 mitzvahs (commandments) are found inside the 10 utterances Hashem made at Mount Sinai.

(Keep in mind, this is all just Jewish belief. If other religions believe otherwise, they'll likely want to dispute all of this. That's fine, as long as somebody from another religion isn't trying to tell Jews how to read their own books. If a Chrsitian wants to say Jesus is found in the OT, by all means, he probably is. But if a Chrsitian wants to say Jesus is found, or even hinted at in the Torah, well those are fighting words to a Jew).

Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,517,425 times
Quote:

"I am the Lord your G-d who brought you out of slavery in Egypt."

is rather more specific than "there is at least one higher being capable of giving you commandments" Even if its still subject to interpretation.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 PM

9,707 posts, read 1,192,685 times
Quote:
Which is interesting to me because they are more encompassing which is what Jesus was teaching.

For example:
6. Prohibition of Physically Harming a Person This category is derived from Ex. 20:13, saying, "You shall not murder." So they seem to have taken it deeper from the beginning. Although Jesus took it even further still, by pointing out if you have malice in your heart, you have broken this commitment. The fact that you didn't actually commit violence is really of litle value, because the heart is still sick.
Still very interesting to read. Thanks for the links.
Yes and thank you for writing what I wasn't able to express.

Katie

Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Yes and thank you for writing what I wasn't able to express.

Katie
Thanks!

Another point on this.

For Jesus to "expand" on the Word of G-d is one thing.
But for the Jews, deciding to "expand" on G-d's Word is a bit difdferent. On whose authority do they make 613 laws out of 10?

I am not making any decisions yet, but I see a pattern of taking the written word of G-d, and expounding on it so much, as to make it seem as though something of a "forest for the trees" issue is going on here.

Where you NEED a Rabbi to unlock the secret code to understanding what G-d REALLY meant. That's fine and their decision, but so far I still have not found any significant TRANSLATIONAL differences to make me confused. Often it is beneficial to learn the actual Hebrew or Greek, and see the many different possible translations, and why the publishers chose the one they did. Sometimes just to compare and see a scripture verse in a new light.

I feel G-d is my Rabbi, through the Holy Spirit.
I find that if I am struggling with a scripture, often He will point me in the right direction. Sometimes in the form of a video, sometimes my preacher will address it at church, sometimes a different scripture verse will shed light onto the scripture I am struggling with, and sometimes I seek the original text, and see if there is something "rotten in Denmark". Ultimately, if G-d thinks it would benefit me to know/understand better at this point in time, He will reveal the truth to me in any number of ways, including, but not limited to, the ones I just mentioned.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,517,425 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Another point on this.

For Jesus to "expand" on the Word of G-d is one thing.
But for the Jews, deciding to "expand" on G-d's Word is a bit difdferent. On whose authority do they make 613 laws out of 10?
there are a number of prooftexts for the authority of human interpretation. One that I know is Deut 30:12 through 30:14, "it is not in heaven.."

Rabbinic interpretation is human interpretation, empowered by study and knowledge. Rabbis arent magic, just learned.

"Where you NEED a Rabbi to unlock the secret code to understanding what G-d REALLY meant."

Theres no secret code - there are complexities, and accepted procedures, and traditions said to come down from Moses via an oral chain of transmission.

"I feel G-d is my Rabbi, through the Holy Spirit.
I find that if I am struggling with a scripture, often He will point me in the right direction. Sometimes in the form of a video, sometimes my preacher will address it at church, sometimes a different scripture verse will shed light onto the scripture I am struggling with, and sometimes I seek the original text, and see if there is something "rotten in Denmark". Ultimately, if G-d thinks it would benefit me to know/understand better at this point in time, He will reveal the truth to me in any number of ways, including, but not limited to, the ones I just mentioned."

The notion of a holy spirit ensuring correct interpretation was an invention of the Reformation, to address the Catholic churches claim that individual interpretation would lead to anarchy, and to incorrect interpretation. AFAIK even the New Testament does not state that the "holy spirit" assures correct biblical interpretation - and of course to Jews, who don't acknowledge the trinity to begin with, theres no reason to accept the validity of any "holy spirit" And if there is, why couldnt it affirm the jewish tradition and approach to interpretation?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

On whose authority do they make 613 laws out of 10?
We don't make 613 out of 10. The 613 are found in the Torah independant of the 10. It's just that we understand Hashem's words well enough to find clues or hints to all 613 in the 10.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by theflipflop
We believe only ours contain the truth (luckily our books give you excellent and easy pathways to fully connect with G-d and heaven),

I bolded the word YOU above. Defined how? the Jew, Me, any non-believer?
Luckily your books give WHO excellent and easy pathways...?

Last edited by cledussnow; 03-27-2012 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism