U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM
 
1 posts, read 438 times
Reputation: 10
Default Kosher

Hello everyone, I have a question and am hoping it doesn't sound too stupid!

We're having a gathering at work, and one of my colleagues is Jewish. He can never eat anything at these gatherings because the food isn't kosher, so I really want to make him something. I was thinking I'd make samosas, but I'm getting confused about what I need to do to make it kosher. I already knew what ingredients are and aren't allowed, but I hadn't realized that for a food to be kosher it also requires preparation using kosher only equipment/dishes. I'm vegetarian so nothing has been used for meat, but has been for eggs, cheese....does this mean that essentially I wouldn't be able to make him anything after all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Status: "40cal per mile beats 40MPG" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: You want kimchi with that?
8,479 posts, read 5,761,622 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
He is obviously just a troll wearing a Kippah.


oh cmon, saying that jesus, when he said a brocha over bread or whatever, was leading to the messiahship of the lubavitcher rebbe, could be seen as a much finer troll, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Status: "40cal per mile beats 40MPG" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: You want kimchi with that?
8,479 posts, read 5,761,622 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by namset View Post
Hello everyone, I have a question and am hoping it doesn't sound too stupid!

We're having a gathering at work, and one of my colleagues is Jewish. He can never eat anything at these gatherings because the food isn't kosher, so I really want to make him something. I was thinking I'd make samosas, but I'm getting confused about what I need to do to make it kosher. I already knew what ingredients are and aren't allowed, but I hadn't realized that for a food to be kosher it also requires preparation using kosher only equipment/dishes. I'm vegetarian so nothing has been used for meat, but has been for eggs, cheese....does this mean that essentially I wouldn't be able to make him anything after all?
it depends - many kosher observant conservative jews would be okay with vegetarian food period, but some observant conservative Jews and most Orthodox jews would need it to be cooked on kosher equipment/dishes but would be okay with a cold salad (but NO cheese - thats complicated) And some ultra O jews would probably not be comfortable even with a cold salad not made in a kosher kitchen, I guess.

Note, I know some pretty seriously observant modern O jews who WILL eat hot food cooked in a reliably vegetarian kitchen (at least a vegetarian restaurant, where the owners reputation is at stake if his food is not vegetarian) but Flip, for example, had an issue with that.


best thing to do is to ask youir colleague about his level of observance - I am 99% sure he will appreciate your concern, whether you can come up with something he can eat, or not.

note theres a lot of interesting material on the overlap and non-overlap between dairy and parve (not meat nor dairy) kosher food, and vegetarian/vegan food. While the overlap is considerable, there are issues both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
 
2,957 posts, read 1,135,745 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
He can never eat anything at these gatherings because the food isn't kosher, so I really want to make him something.
Are there any kosher restaurants in your town? If so, I'm sure he'd much prefer you simply buy him a pizza or a falafel from one of these restaurants (if it comes sealed, DO NOT break open the seals for him). There are so so many complications with him eating any food you prepare him, no matter how much effort you put into making it kosher. I won't even eat food cooked by my own parents, who do not keep kosher themselves, unless I've personally supervised them preparing the food in the parts of their kitchen they've made kosher for my family when we visit. And I won't eat anything prepared by a non-Jew ever (that's a big statement, and there are many items that would need to be clarified for any of you to understand why I do this).

As far as the trolling comments, If a majority of people here at C/D think I'm a troll (as oppossed to a Yid willing to use strong words to make my points), then I guess I could leave this site and let you all go back to your regularly sheltered lives, free of Jews challenging your Chrstian viewpoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,803 posts, read 1,146,346 times
Reputation: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
As far as the trolling comments, If a majority of people here at C/D think I'm a troll (as oppossed to a Yid willing to use strong words to make my points), then I guess I could leave this site and let you all go back to your regularly sheltered lives, free of Jews challenging your Chrstian viewpoints.
I don't really ever agree with you on anything, but I'm glad you're around here. You're definitely not a troll, just strongly opinionated and not afraid to stand your ground. Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 PM
 
294 posts, read 33,682 times
Reputation: 86
Perhaps troll was a bit strong.

I was basing it on the following :

If Chrstians would be intellectually honest, and just admit the "OT" is simply a man-made book loosely based on the Torah, and that they have no idea what any of the Torah means (since they have no Oral Torah, i.e. guidebook, toi explain it),then I could sit back and sing cumbaya with you folks.

The good news, is that you Chrstians have a type of version of our Torah (the OT), even if translated twice before it hits your eyes, that gives you a 30,000 foot view of what's inside the Torah. It's all you've got. The only way to get access to the keys to the kingdon is to convert, but we're (mostly) not accepting converts either. So you take what you've got...


At one point I commented:
I am rooting for you to change my mind, as I like the "ideas" of no hell, and everyone gets to go to Heaven eventually, etc etc.

He replied:
I think the thing that drives most Chrstians nuts is that we deny the validity of your books. We believe only ours contain the truth (luckily our books give you excellent and easy pathways to fully connect with G-d and heaven), and we're not terribly interested whether you accept our truths or not. Nor are we asking you to join us. We mainly just don't want you to kill us, and after that, we Jews believe the rest are details.


another time: I think the thing that drives most Chrstians nuts is that we deny the validity of your books.

to which I replied:
Which is fine, provided there is actual evidence.

We believe only ours contain the truth (luckily our books give you excellent and easy pathways to fully connect with G-d and heaven),

and yet again here:
Originally Posted by theflipflop
and we're not terribly interested whether you accept our truths or not.
I replied:
With a doctrine like yours that is perfectly reasonable.
Although a bit rude to those who WOULD seek the truth if only they were worthy enough in the eye of the Jew.

Seems that although I try to post sincere questions in good faith, I am inundated with posts of "too bad the Christians are reallt bad at converting (tricking) Jews. That must be frustrating."

To which I reply: No it doesn't surprise the Christian nor frustrate one bit. I am not looking to proselytize, but rather looking for answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 05:01 PM
 
22,733 posts, read 10,470,473 times
Reputation: 3816
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
As far as the trolling comments, If a majority of people here at C/D think I'm a troll (as oppossed to a Yid willing to use strong words to make my points), then I guess I could leave this site and let you all go back to your regularly sheltered lives, free of Jews challenging your Chrstian viewpoints.
I don't think you are a troll . . . just unpleasantly blunt and condescending to non-Jews. Of course I am sure you are equally accepting of bluntness from the other side. I don't generally engage Jews on issues of God. In my view . . . they have been wrong on just about everything about God and what God wants from us. With that kind of track record engaging someone clearly fundamentalist (I guess you call it Orthodox Torah Observant) has little point. I avoid Creationists on the Christian side for similar reasons.

Although I will admit to a degree of consternation about the descriptions of the nature of God that you accept . . . as I do with the fundamentalist Christians. The Jewish God (or OT God for Christians) is a thoroughly unlovable and reprehensible character with no redeeming qualities. Christian double-mindedness in accepting the OT beliefs and the NT beliefs as if they are equally valid descriptions of God is difficult for me to understand. But the single-mindedness of the Jewish Orthodox accepting the Torah descriptions is completely inexplicable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 PM
 
2,957 posts, read 1,135,745 times
Reputation: 704
Hey folks, I'm sorry for the bluntness and rudeness I've shown some of you. I get really passionate about stuff and push the envelope of communication to be loud and forceful - I'll try to cool it off. Thanks for calling it like it is (I sure like that!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Status: "40cal per mile beats 40MPG" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: You want kimchi with that?
8,479 posts, read 5,761,622 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And I won't eat anything prepared by a non-Jew ever (that's a big statement, and there are many items that would need to be clarified for any of you to understand why I do this).
I understand why you do this (well I don't understand why you are THAT strict, since lots of food items are not "fit for a king")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 9,053,528 times
Reputation: 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't think you are a troll . . . just unpleasantly blunt and condescending to non-Jews. Of course I am sure you are equally accepting of bluntness from the other side. I don't generally engage Jews on issues of God. In my view . . . they have been wrong on just about everything about God and what God wants from us. With that kind of track record engaging someone clearly fundamentalist (I guess you call it Orthodox Torah Observant) has little point. I avoid Creationists on the Christian side for similar reasons.

Although I will admit to a degree of consternation about the descriptions of the nature of God that you accept . . . as I do with the fundamentalist Christians. The Jewish God (or OT God for Christians) is a thoroughly unlovable and reprehensible character with no redeeming qualities. Christian double-mindedness in accepting the OT beliefs and the NT beliefs as if they are equally valid descriptions of God is difficult for me to understand. But the single-mindedness of the Jewish Orthodox accepting the Torah descriptions is completely inexplicable to me.
You're going to find aspects of every religion which hit you the wrong way. I think flip has tried to be as delicate as he can in conversing with us, and it takes courage to do so considering our history.

I don't agree with everything he says, and yes, the OT religion seems brutal, but on the other hand I have left religion, personally, yet have had experiences and I believe that some of what flip is saying hits the reality of spirituality as I've experienced it right on the head, whereas Christianity does seem more pieced together by someone's imagination.

He is not here trying to convert anyone, just to explain his religion, to be a good guy, to smooth relationships. If you believe that you have the truth, really, you would not take umbrage so easily - he would pose no threat to you or your beliefs.

Please, make room in your world for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:13 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top