Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 12:40 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I appreciate your comment and the patience as well, if that's what seems to be necessary with regard to my comments, but with all due respect...

I am forever feeling the "push back" is because I question, or don't necessarily agree with all explanation about one thing or another. I have never known such aversion to simply explaining where there are points of confusion or disagreement, and I struggle to understand this. I continue, because I think there are people not so quickly inclined to dismiss the exchange simply because we don't all quickly agree about everything.

Take your example of my reply to rosends, who has probably exchanged opinion with me in this thread more than anyone, with far fewer stones thrown if any. rosends has made clear to me she does not agree with me about many things. Why is that okay but when I further address what seems to be the point of our different opinion and/or perspective, I'm called on the carpet for it?

Why is it wrong to explain I am not altogether accepting of something, and why should I presume NOBODY is going to want to communicate with me, when just about everyone has communicated with me? Some with thoughtful comment worthy of consideration -- consideration -- not necessarily full agreement. Others simply want to throw stones and nothing else. Am I to leave a thread and/or topic of interest to me, because of the stone throwers?

I surely hope not, as I too am using all the patience I can muster with them...
I will will speak for myself, and not for others here. I don't care if you "don't necessarily agree with all explanation(s) about one thing or another." Your agreement is not needed. Our beliefs are exactly that - OUR beliefs. YOU do not need to understand or agree with them in any way. I'm sure you have your own beliefs, in which I have no interest, curiosity, questioning, etc. Your beliefs are yours - have at 'em.

No one has "thrown stones" at you. On the contrary, I know that I would much prefer to ignore you entirely. However, you seem to have some reason for coming here repeatedly and questioning things, yet you do not accept the answers you are given. That is why I (and I believe others) "push back" on any dialogue with you, because there is no "dialogue" - only endless, stubborn, statements on your part.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:31 PM

623 posts, read 312,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I will will speak for myself, and not for others here. I don't care if you "don't necessarily agree with all explanation(s) about one thing or another." Your agreement is not needed. Our beliefs are exactly that - OUR beliefs. YOU do not need to understand or agree with them in any way. I'm sure you have your own beliefs, in which I have no interest, curiosity, questioning, etc. Your beliefs are yours - have at 'em.

No one has "thrown stones" at you. On the contrary, I know that I would much prefer to ignore you entirely. However, you seem to have some reason for coming here repeatedly and questioning things, yet you do not accept the answers you are given. That is why I (and I believe others) "push back" on any dialogue with you, because there is no "dialogue" - only endless, stubborn, statements on your part.
Very well put, and worth repeating.

However, as it happens, you are speaking for at least one other, even if that was not your intention.

Thank you.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:28 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Very well put, and worth repeating.

However, as it happens, you are speaking for at least one other, even if that was not your intention.

Thank you.
You're welcome.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:10 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Okay to wish everyone a happy Valentine's Day as I sign off now?
Not our holiday. But thanks for the sentiment.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post

The Hasidic way of dating and marriage (in honor of Valentine)
https://orthodoxsunflower.wordpress....-of-valentine/

Old 02-15-2018, 10:21 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I don't know whom you mean by "we" but those who stay closed off are generally people of a faith group who prefer not to try and explain complex beliefs in soundbites.
As you know, I'm not exactly big on "soundbites" either. I do my best to do better than that, especially with regard to matters that matter most...

Old 02-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post

Again, no need to explain what is necessary and what is not, because we all understand this simple fact very well I think. I have no notion or expectation we necessarily all agree or disagree, but I got to wondering after signing off yesterday whether the title of this thread is part of the problem, for me anyway...

I came here because I had a question or two, about Judaism. The title of this thread simply lead me here. I've since begun to wonder if the title of this thread should read "For Jews Only," or "No Disagreement Allowed Here."

If you look at the record, fairly and in an unbiased manner, I have pretty well simply replied to comments directed to me, about these questions and/or issues that revolve around what we all believe and why. How you characterize my comments, questions or opinion is born of a dynamic I did not anticipate when I came to this thread.

Fact is, I have learned far more than I expected about followers of Judaism, Jewish people, by way of experiencing the reaction to my comments in this thread. Although I don't know how well those commenting in this thread represent all Jewish people, and although the reactions are varied, there is no doubt about a thing or two I have learned about the Jewish faith and its followers that I did not know before I got here.

Among several "take aways," for example, that I still don't understand too well, is why I have become the sole focus with some participating in this thread rather than simply ignore me and comment about whatever better suits, whatever of other interest. I have seen those comments about other topics and not responded if of no interest to me. Why is that so difficult for you and others I wonder...

I have participated in many threads in this forum over the last few years, and I have never encountered anything like the experience here. When it comes to understanding "what makes people tick," this thread has perhaps been the most fascinating to me of all so far. Quite a surprise if the truth be told. So, I have continued returning to have a look and perhaps learn still more about people drawn to this thread for whatever their reasons, whether they appreciate my part or not.

I am always hopeful of whatever civil exchange can be had without all the insult and emotion that tends to get in the way...

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-15-2018 at 10:58 AM..

Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Another interesting comment if you ask me. If I may...

When it comes to what we deem "our holiday," like say Valentine's Day (not really a holiday), or Halloween, or MLK day (that is a holiday), Thanksgiving..., are people of different faiths, the Jewish faith, not allowed to share and/or honor these days not necessarily born of our specific religion? Not sure Valentine's Day is my holiday either, but I'd have Hell to pay trying to explain that to my wife.

Thank you for your comment/reply with regard to my sentiment.

PS: Our son-in-law apparent is Jewish, and he just gave our daughter a puppy as his Valentine's gift to her. Am I to understand that's also a no no according to you?

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-15-2018 at 10:56 AM..

Old 02-15-2018, 02:35 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Torah observant Jews do not typically participate in any activities that have even an appearance of paganism or idol worship. My son’s yeshiva, for example, held parents weekend during the super bowl. Totally missed the game and totally don’t care. Last year I went to a wedding on Thanksgiving day. They served brisket and kugel, but no turkey or cranberry. We’re not interested in your world.

I started this thread in order to give questioners a Jewish View. It’s one way. I’m happy to tell you what I think, and I offer that out of kindness. But what you think is irrelevant to me, and I’d appreciate you keeping your views to yourself. This is not meant to be a dialog. It’s an info session.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
These are the holidays of Judaism:

https://www.hebcal.com/holidays/2018-2019
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism