Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 01:10 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
You are confusing the directive given to the Children of Israel which indicated what they should do in Joshua's time with the political establishing of a secular state in the 20th century. Don't conflate the two and try to apply the laws of one with the events of the other.
Duly noted, but I was focused on when Jews came to "possess" this land more present day...

That aside, I am interested to know if there is a simple quick answer to why those seven nations deserved all that destruction, wrath of God if you will. If not too much to ask here or perhaps you can point me in the direction of some worthy reading about this, to help me understand why those seven nations should be annihilated per God's directive to the Children of Israel, in Joshua's time or after.

If I read Deuteronomy 7:1-5 correctly, this directive applies to "when God brings you into the land where you are entering to possess it," but when that day should actually occur is not specified. "Possess" something of the operative word here. Right?

You have obviously studied this far more than I have, so I appreciate you steering me toward a better understanding even if/when my questions seem less informed to you. Seems that way because they are...

Thanks again Rabbi. Really.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:10 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Duly noted, but I was focused on when Jews came to "possess" this land more present day...

That aside, I am interested to know if there is a simple quick answer to why those seven nations deserved all that destruction, wrath of God if you will. If not too much to ask here or perhaps you can point me in the direction of some worthy reading about this, to help me understand why those seven nations should be annihilated per God's directive to the Children of Israel, in Joshua's time or after.

If I read Deuteronomy 7:1-5 correctly, this directive applies to "when God brings you into the land where you are entering to possess it," but when that day should actually occur is not specified. "Possess" something of the operative word here. Right?

You have obviously studied this far more than I have, so I appreciate you steering me toward a better understanding even if/when my questions seem less informed to you. Seems that way because they are...

The possess it was to fulfill the promise to the forefathers and this what happened in Joshua's days. There are many textual laws based on when the people come to the land (like Deut 26:1 and forward). 7:1 tells of God's promise to help in the conquest (7:2) in order to remove their stain of idolatry from the land (6:18-19).

You should also take a look at Deut 20:10 - the commentators are split about this section, with some major ones saying it does NOT include the 7 nations whereas others say that this DOES refer to the 7 nations.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:30 PM

23,126 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:

Have you ever looked into the Myans religion, the Egyptian religions to see what they did? God chose one people out of the land to put his name on, and God has never excluded Gentiles from following his ways, but have you looked into what those 7 nations and the things they did to their own children?

Like those Myans and many cultures who might have committed genocide against themselves, people could call you a witch in any society in those days and you die, a rule of law had to be set up ad observed.

But the sacrificing of the children practiced by those 7 nations was horrendous, should God have let them carry on in their corruption?

THIS is what those other nations taught Israel
The Broken Jar
…4"Because they have forsaken Me and have made this an alien place and have burned sacrifices in it to other gods, that neither they nor their forefathers nor the kings of Judah had ever known, and because they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent 5and have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as burnt offerings to Baal,a thing which I never commanded or spoke of, nor did it ever enter My mind; 6therefore, behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when this place will no longer be called Topheth or the valley of Ben-hinnom, but rather the valley of Slaughter.…

Had God wiped them all out in one single blast, he would have been righteous.

But then people who don't believe in God look at death as the end saying,'' Why was God so cruel as to let them die?'' and I would say,'' What makes you think they are dead?''

Old 04-05-2018, 06:55 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Have you ever looked into the Myans religion, the Egyptian religions to see what they did? God chose one people out of the land to put his name on, and God has never excluded Gentiles from following his ways, but have you looked into what those 7 nations and the things they did to their own children?

Like those Myans and many cultures who might have committed genocide against themselves, people could call you a witch in any society in those days and you die, a rule of law had to be set up ad observed.

But the sacrificing of the children practiced by those 7 nations was horrendous, should God have let them carry on in their corruption?

The Broken Jar
…4"Because they have forsaken Me and have made this an alien place and have burned sacrifices in it to other gods, that neither they nor their forefathers nor the kings of Judah had ever known, and because they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent 5and have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as burnt offerings to Baal,a thing which I never commanded or spoke of, nor did it ever enter My mind; 6therefore, behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when this place will no longer be called Topheth or the valley of Ben-hinnom, but rather the valley of Slaughter.…

But then people who don't believe in God look at death as the end saying,'' Why was God so cruel as to let them die?'' and I would say,'' What makes you think they are dead?''
Huh, no one ever murdered or sacrificed children!
That was some old seed of lies spread about middle America by you know full well who. In order to justify the market value put on innocent people.

Canaan, kenites, is whole other conversation hanni and you know better.

Please, in the future, refraim from blending current history.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

The Broken Jar

Such coarseness of speech is like the pleasant reminder of a man who was hidden.
You yourself spoke of sand recently.

So,
What did moses hide that day?

Guilt, shame, mercy, justice?

Have you ever considered with keen eyes and ears?
Or is that arrangement of syllables known of as Moses acceptable to you?

Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
The possess it was to fulfill the promise to the forefathers and this what happened in Joshua's days. There are many textual laws based on when the people come to the land (like Deut 26:1 and forward). 7:1 tells of God's promise to help in the conquest (7:2) in order to remove their stain of idolatry from the land (6:18-19).

You should also take a look at Deut 20:10 - the commentators are split about this section, with some major ones saying it does NOT include the 7 nations whereas others say that this DOES refer to the 7 nations.
Forgive me sir, for being so bold as to remind the readers here that there are ten sylables freely given.

There is more to the man (name)moses than most are willing to admit.
The honor that is intricately woven with truth will bring Blessings upon

Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Of some interest to me is the reason to believe the seven nations should be annihilated; "defeated, destroyed, smashed and burned" and/or why people may be driven to violence "in the name of God." Is the reason because they were idolaters then?

Old 04-06-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Forgive me sir, for being so bold as to remind the readers here that there are ten sylables freely given.

There is more to the man (name)moses than most are willing to admit.
The honor that is intricately woven with truth will bring Blessings upon
Over my head. No doubt.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:43 AM

23,126 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Of some interest to me is the reason to believe the seven nations should be annihilated; "defeated, destroyed, smashed and burned" and/or why people may be driven to violence "in the name of God." Is the reason because they were idolaters then?
God has worked with every nation, not just Israel. Israel are God's people and yet he has punished them every time they strayed, ever since they left Egypt.

But before there was Moses, there had been many Moses's before him when God has done the same to other nations before he ever came to Israel.

The Destruction of Israel
…6The One who builds His upper chambers in the heavens And has founded His vaulted dome over the earth, He who calls for the waters of the sea And pours them out on the face of the earth, The LORD is His name. 7"Are you not as the sons of Ethiopia to Me, O sons of Israel?" declares the LORD. "Have I not brought up Israel from the land of Egypt, And the Philistines from Caphtor and the Arameans from Kir? 8"Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are on the sinful kingdom, And I will destroy it from the face of the earth; Nevertheless, I will not totally destroy the house of Jacob," Declares the LORD.…{With any people, there are two sides, and evil kingdom and a righteous kingdom, and the whole world has already been invited to join the righteous kingdom}

Before Moses, these other countries were God's people where there are always two people's striving together where the strong rule the weak, and the weak bend their knee to God and become God's people, and he delivers them.

But all those nations left God just as many in Israel left God and were punished. Those nations had already had their turn and now it was Israel.

All those nations went back to Paganism, and began sacrificing their own children. We read that when God did such great miracles to save Israel, that the nations knew God was on their side, and yet they went against God and his people.

The Jews alone have been loyal to God and his ways, right up until this day. Even when Gentiles had a chance to join God's people, they always set themselves against Israel.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Over my head. No doubt.
No, of coarse not
Substance with cause is highly valued where I'm from.
Hebrew Syllable Classification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism