Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 01:11 PM

623 posts, read 311,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
As a Jew, are you against Homosexuality and believe it is a sin?
Do you believe one can be a gay Jew?
Doesn't matter what I am for or against, or believe. You want "as a Jew," ask an orthodox rabbi.

As for me? As a Jew or not as a Jew, I am not really for it or against it. I regard it as a physical or mental disorder, but that's just my outlook. Others don't have to share it. I don't even know whether it is congenital or acquired. Probably both, usually in different cases. AFAIK, it is not a sin, whatever exactly that means, to BE a male homosexual, whatever exactly that means. What is prohibited is lying with a man as with a woman.

Of course, one can be a ***** (the word "gay" was already taken - you can't have it) Jew. All that is necessary is to be ***** and have a Jewish mother, or be a legitimate convert according to Jewish law. Once a Jew, always a Jew, and sexual inclinations or actions have nothing at all to do with this. This would seem to be something about which I would refer you to your LORD (Local Orthodox Rabbi Dude), but it is so straightforward that probably even I can't mess it up.

Hope this answers your questions.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:43 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
What are the view of Homosexuality by Judaism?

I ask as Christianity is a offshoot of Judsiam, and that topic is forced down the throats of Christians to agree with it on the Christianity forums and the Jews in the forum are typically silent on it, so im just wondering what many Jews think of that topic in general.
Homosexuality is named as an abomination in the Torah, as are eating pork, using rigged weights in the marketplace, dishonesty, and usury (just to name a few).

Christianity seems to pick and choose what it wants to share with the Torah and what to throw out.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:39 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Homosexuality is named as an abomination in the Torah, as are eating pork, using rigged weights in the marketplace, dishonesty, and usury (just to name a few).

Christianity seems to pick and choose what it wants to share with the Torah and what to throw out.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:54 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
As I suspected, Orthodox are not very tolerant
These are some of the things that are not kosher or transgress Jewish law: eating pork, shrimp, lobster, shopping on Shabbat (the Sabbath), homosexual acts, profanity.

So you are saying a person is "intolerant" if they don't eat ham? That a person is " intolerant" if they don't go shopping on Shabbat? That a person is "intolerant" if they don't use profanity?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-05-2019 at 07:32 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
These are some of the things that are not kosher or transgress Jewish law: eating pork, shrimp, lobster, shopping on Shabbat (the Sabbath), homosexual acts, profanity.

So you are saying a person is "intolerant" if they don't eat ham? That a person is " intolerant" if they don't go shopping on Shabbat? That a person is "intolerant" if they don't use profanity?
Where’s profanity listed?...

Old 01-05-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Where’s profanity listed?...
Nivul peh "Disgusting speech"

Kosher Speech

"Another kind of "non-kosher" speech is disgusting language. Included in this category are such things as curse words, off-color jokes, or negative innuendo. What's wrong with saying an occasional curse word?

"The Torah teaches that the way one acts on the outside affects who one is on the inside. So even if a person is basically good, once he begins to speak in a crude way, his character will become negatively affected. The more crude a person's speech, the more crude he becomes."

Chapter 11 of Mesillas Yesharim "Path of the Just" has sources, book by Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzato

https://dafyomireview.com/mesilat.php?d=14

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-05-2019 at 08:54 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Nivul peh "Disgusting speech"

Kosher Speech

"Another kind of "non-kosher" speech is disgusting language. Included in this category are such things as curse words, off-color jokes, or negative innuendo. What's wrong with saying an occasional curse word?

"The Torah teaches that the way one acts on the outside affects who one is on the inside. So even if a person is basically good, once he begins to speak in a crude way, his character will become negatively affected. The more crude a person's speech, the more crude he becomes."

Chapter 11 of Mesillas Yesharim "Path of the Just" has sources, book by Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzato

https://dafyomireview.com/mesilat.php?d=14
Makes sense...

Old 01-13-2019, 06:56 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I have a question about this verse:

It is too little, the Lord says,
for you to be my servant,
… I will make you a light to the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the end
of the earth.
- Isaiah 49: 6

This if from a Christian source, so this may not be a correct translation of the actual scripture. If so, please correct or disregard the error.

My specific question is about the word "salvation". If that is a correct translation, what does that mean to Jews?

As you know, in fundamentalist Christianity it means redemption from the idea of original sin. In progressive Christianity, it can mean something different.

But, since it is Jewish scripture to begin with, addressed to Jews, and salvation from original sin is not Jewish, what is meant here?

I am just curious. I saw the verse in an email, and it caught my eye and I wondered.

Hoping to hear from my fellow New Jerseyan.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

of the earth.

This if from a Christian source, so this may not be a correct translation of the actual scripture. If so, please correct or disregard the error.

My specific question is about the word "salvation". If that is a correct translation, what does that mean to Jews?

As you know, in fundamentalist Christianity it means redemption from the idea of original sin. In progressive Christianity, it can mean something different.

But, since it is Jewish scripture to begin with, addressed to Jews, and salvation from original sin is not Jewish, what is meant here?....
Salvation from What?
"The concept of salvation from sin as it is understood in Crstnty has no equivalent in Judaism.

"Salvation from sin is unnecessary in Judaism, because Judaism does not believe that mankind is inherently evil or sinful or in need of Divine Intervention in order to escape eternal damnation. In fact, Judaism does not even believe in eternal damnation."

Judaism recognizes that people are tempted to do bad stuff, and also that people have an inclination to do good and be good. We have free will to choose good over evil. We clearly have G-d’s promise of an inner ability to do this,
“Turn from evil and do good.” Psalm 37:27

"When the Torah speaks of G-d as our salvation or our redeemer, it is not speaking of salvation or redemption from sin; rather, it speaks of salvation from the very concrete, day-to-day problems that we face, such as redemption from slavery in Egypt, or salvation from our enemies."

Judaism 101: Search the Glossary and Index

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-14-2019 at 02:58 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

of the earth.

But, since it is Jewish scripture to begin with, addressed to Jews, and salvation from original sin is not Jewish, what is meant here?

I am just curious. I saw the verse in an email, and it caught my eye and I wondered.

Hoping to hear from my fellow New Jerseyan.
And He said, "It is too light for you to be My servant, to establish the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the besieged of Israel, but I will make you a light of nations, so that My salvation shall be until the end of the earth."
https://www.chabad.org/library/bible...hapter-49.htm#

The chapter is speaking about bringing the Jewish people out of captivity/exile and returning them to Israel.
The rest of the chapter explains what the "salvation" is. It is freedom, a return to the land promised to Abraham, divine protection from physical enemies, and a fruitful existence on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism