Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 04:20 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times

Advertisements

Shabbat Shalom bro.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:50 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I would like to ask . . .

Could anyone point me to somewhere on the web where I can find information about the meaning of the elements in a Passover Seder?

Wikipedia has a discussion, but I'm looking for something a little more in depth, (and more authoritative). Thank you.

A Seder is one instance where you should attend in person. Sit close to the rabbi. Repeat year after year, and you'll learn more each year. Nothing on the internet can capture any essence of the sheer wonderful beauty and comraderie of a Seder.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:36 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
I like all the Etrog stories about Sukkot, seems to be a million of them, but in tradition one story has stuck with me, a story I read on Chabad, and Chabad is a great place to look up the bitter herbs, the cups of wine and so forth about Passover, and I don't remember the Holy day involving the story, but it was of a disciple who visited his Rabbi, and the Rabbi had the table all set for his disciple. He had the disciple sit down and the two of them said nothing and it became awkward till the disciple spilled the glass of water on the table that splashed over a bag of seeds and while the disciple wanted to apologize, the rabbi is like,'' For what? I had waited long enough for you to spill the water.''

But they tell the story better, and of etrogs there is no end.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:53 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
My wife started us watching this show that reminded me of this thread. It's a hoot!

"The series received critically acclaimed and won the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy in 2017 and the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series in 2018. In addition, Brosnahan won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series in 2018 and two consecutive Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Television Series Musical or Comedy in 2018 and 2019."

Anyone else seen it?

Old 07-02-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I'm glad that you said that this was your opinion, HF. It's an interesting interpretation, but I'm not familiar with this as being consistent with Jewish teaching.
You are not by chance THEE Rachel? 976? Are you? This comment in this thread sure has me wondering...

Old 07-02-2019, 12:18 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You are not by chance THEE Rachel? 976? Are you? This comment in this thread sure has me wondering...

I know Rachel976. I'm the "other Rachel" around here.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Oh. Thanks. Uncanny...

Old 07-04-2019, 08:48 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Oh. Thanks. Uncanny...
TWO Jewish posters named Rachel! Who woulda ever thought...

Now two Jewish posters named "Christine", that would be weird.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:05 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
I just want to apologize to you all here for all my strong speech in this forum. I’ll try to soften my approach going forward. I saw a beautiful idea on parshas Korach from Rav Elimelech Biedermeier that I wanted to share.

Quote:
The Orchos Tzaddikim compares Torah scholars who aren't cautious with their speech to an old leaking barrel. Only a fool would pour wine into that barrel. If the wine is very expensive, he is an even greater fool, because everything will go to waste. He must first seal the holes and then pour in the good wine. The nimshal is that if his mouth is sullied with lashon hara, how can he put Torah and mitzvos in there? They will get ruined and go to waste, just as a leaking barrel ...

The Shav Shmatsa teaches that the oral Torah and the written Torah both have to be contained in a vessel. The vessel for the written Torah is parchment, and the vessel for the Torah shebe'al peh is a Yid's mouth, and therefore it must be kept holy and pure. The Shav Shmatsa writes, "Reb Shimon bar Yochai said, 'If I were at Har Sinai, I would have asked for two mouths: One mouth to study Torah with, and one mouth to speak worldly matters.’ ...

The mouth is the parchment for the oral Torah. Just as the parchment for the written Torah needs to be made lishmah, and it must be pure and not tamei, so too, the parchment of the oral Torah, which is the mouth, must be solely lishmah..."

In contrast, if one is cautious with his speech, but he isn’t holy in other ways (he isn’t filled with Torah and mitzvos) we can nevertheless call him holy. Like a house that has no sefarim in it requires a mezuzah on the doorpost, so too, his caution with his mouth sanctifies him, although he is imperfect in other ways.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:07 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I just want to apologize to you all here for all my strong speech in this forum. I’ll try to soften my approach going forward. I saw a beautiful idea on parshas Korach from Rav Elimelech Biedermeier that I wanted to share.

Nicely done, TFF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism