Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 09:14 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
So, what was the final consensus of opinion on the word חבונה, its possible English transliteration, and its possible use as a feminine name? Here's what I've gotten so far:

1. The word means "wisdom" or, perhaps more specifically, "discernment." (This I already knew.)

2. The word appears in Torah, in Devarim 32:28 (I provided a link in a previous post.)

3. Rosends has transliterated the word as "Havana" (Chavana)? As well as provided a dictionary link for it.

4. Pruzhany found something like it in the book Biblical Baby Names for Today in the form of "Chavonna." (Although I wouldn't completely trust the name meanings given in most baby name books.)

So, are we done here? I'd already decided to include this Hebrew word in a names list I'm compiling, but I'm still undecided as to how to transliterate it for speakers of English.

Thanks for all help given thus far! I greatly appreciate it!
The connection I made was to the word T'vunah כִּי־ג֛וֹי אֹבַ֥ד עֵצ֖וֹת הֵ֑מָּה וְאֵ֥ין בָּהֶ֖ם תְּבוּנָֽה׃
For they are a folk void of sense, Lacking in all discernment.

The first letter should be a tav, not a chet which is how you have it written. It, as t'vunah is related to the word Havana. What you wrote is not transliterated or connected to Havana in any way.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:58 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The connection I made was to the word T'vunah כִּי־ג֛וֹי אֹבַ֥ד עֵצ֖וֹת הֵ֑מָּה וְאֵ֥ין בָּהֶ֖ם תְּבוּנָֽה׃
For they are a folk void of sense, Lacking in all discernment.

The first letter should be a tav, not a chet which is how you have it written. It, as t'vunah is related to the word Havana. What you wrote is not transliterated or connected to Havana in any way.

Ah, I get it now. I misread the initial Hebrew letter. Many thanks, Rabbi!

Old 08-08-2019, 12:25 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Reminder: This subforum is about Judaism, and this thread is for asking questions of Jews about their religion. Please stay on topic.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:31 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Moderator cut: Quoted post removed.

It is her forum, it's a family.

There are only a handful of people here, and until Mother Rachel and a couple others came, nobody hardly ever spoke in here, because it is just a handful of people who share a common interest.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted

Old 08-09-2019, 10:33 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post

<<snip>>

Once again, I will not respond further to you until a Mod checks this out. If you don't like the fact that I defer to the decisions of the Moderators rather than stick around and argue with you... Tuff.
We're going to close this thread so no more posts will be made while the moderators get the mess cleaned up. We'll reopen it later, probably today.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:23 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Thread reopened after deleting 38 posts. Let's keep this thread focused on Judaism.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
This may have already been covered, but why are Kosher foods denoted with a "U" inside a circle? Sometimes this is replaced with a "K" in a circle, which makes sense. Does the Hebrew word for Kosher start with a "U" sound? Thanks.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This may have already been covered, but why are Kosher foods denoted with a "U" inside a circle? Sometimes this is replaced with a "K" in a circle, which makes sense. Does the Hebrew word for Kosher start with a "U" sound? Thanks.

Both symbols mean that the product is kosher. The different symbols represent which organization has done the proper certifying of the product. I think there are several different organizations that do kosher certification. I don't know which one has the "K" symbol, but I do know that the "U" symbol is used by the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations. The "K" and "U" symbols are the ones most commonly seen. You can probably Google up the complete list somewhere.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:03 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Food that is kosher is supervised by agencies which are familiar with the laws regarding the ingredients and the preparation of the food. Different organizations use symbols to indicate their presence. The U in an O (the "OU") is a trademarked symbol of the Orthodox Union. https://oukosher.org/

The OK is a different organization Kosher certification and compliance | OK Kosher

There are plenty of others - some with symbols some not.
https://www.kashrut.com/agencies/

Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Food that is kosher is supervised by agencies which are familiar with the laws regarding the ingredients and the preparation of the food. Different organizations use symbols to indicate their presence. The U in an O (the "OU") is a trademarked symbol of the Orthodox Union. https://oukosher.org/

The OK is a different organization Kosher certification and compliance | OK Kosher

There are plenty of others - some with symbols some not.
https://www.kashrut.com/agencies/

Ah, I knew you'd be able to provide that list of kosher certification organizations! Thank you, Rabbi!

I just want to add for Mitch that kosher restaurants also must have proper certification. It's not enough that they simply serve kosher food. A restaurant that I frequent is Ben's in Bayside, Queens, NY. They have their kosher certification prominently displayed in their front window. You can see a copy of it at this link:

https://www.bensdeli.net/kashrut-cer...big_plotkin-2/

You won't get a cheeseburger at Ben's. (I have a gentile friend that I brought there once, and I had to explain it to her when she asked if she could get a cheeseburger.)

Even though Ben's is absolutely kosher in food, practice, and cleanliness, I know a few Orthodox Jews who will not eat there because they adhere to far stricter rules. They will only eat in a place that is glatt kosher, which means that the meat served there comes from animals whose lungs have been scrupulously examined to be "smooth" and free of any lesions. (Glatt is a word that means "smooth".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism