Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,518,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherOH View Post
I had requested information from a Chaplaincy Program from a Jewish School in California. The school is a “satellite of Methodist Hospital of Southern California” (direct quote from the school’s website). When someone from the school called we discussed the details of the program. The representative qualified that a perspective could be “gay, strait, transgender, bisexual, Orthodox, Reform, Conservative, or any other version of being Jewish” but had to be Jewish. A perspective student didn’t have to believe in TORAH or have any leaning towards Judaism, as long as they were Jewish.

So as I understand this school’s position, you can be anything else other than a “goy” to be a part of their Chaplaincy Program from a Methodist Hospital. Does this make sense to anyone?

As a reference point:
I would not be a candidate for “other” Chaplaincy Programs as I only adhere to Tanach (and can clearly delineate why I do not use other sets of “texts”). My past undergrad and post-grad study was in theology from a “different perspective” other than a Torah Perspective. I have spent over 20 years changing that.

A Jewish chaplain can come from any strand of Judaism, as long as they tolerant of the forms of Judaism of the jews they are working with. "belief in torah" is too complex a term in Judaism for a program like that to define. I assume they teach the things one needs to know. And yes, in terms of identity, I cant see a non Jew being a Jewish chaplain, regardless of beliefs.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 AM

5,335 posts, read 5,067,614 times
I don't know if someone already asked this, but what does the star of David mean/represent?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,346,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I don't know if someone already asked this, but what does the star of David mean/represent?
I know the answer was given somewhere in this super sized thread. I'll let someone else in this forum answer. I'm no expert on the matter. But I think it's some kind of Zionist thing.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 PM

5,335 posts, read 5,067,614 times
Another question: Do Jews also believe that God is omnipotent, omnicient, omnipresent, and unchanging as Christians do?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Another question: Do Jews also believe that God is omnipotent, omnicient, omnipresent, and unchanging as Christians do?
I'm not sure about "unchanging," but the rest yes.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,629,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
.... But I think it's some kind of Zionist thing.
Only you would take a current symbol that represents Judaism and turn it into a anti-Jew comment.

Quote:
Neturei Karta and Satmar reject it because they associate it with Zionism.......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_David

Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Only you would take a current symbol that represents Judaism and turn it into a anti-Jew comment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_David
Come on Pruzhany, no need to take offense. Being Zionist is not an exclusive Jewish trait. Nor is being anti-Zionist. Like most Jewish subjects, there is a range of belief - and Zionism is one of those. I see both sides of the equation clearly, and as long as the goal is a unified Jewish people, living lives focused on Torah and mitzvahs, well, the rest is just detail. The land of Israel belongs to us - how we set up governments on that land, however, is a matter of debate.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 PM

938 posts, read 1,510,373 times
Zionism means different things to different people. All religious Jews are in some definition, Zionist, including the Neturei Karta and Satmar, but differ in what they define as Zionist from a secular Jew or non-Jew who strongly supports the right of the State of Israel to exist without believing in the existence of messiah / mashiach.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Zionism means different things to different people. All religious Jews are in some definition, Zionist, including the Neturei Karta and Satmar, but differ in what they define as Zionist from a secular Jew or non-Jew who strongly supports the right of the State of Israel to exist without believing in the existence of messiah / mashiach.
That all very true. I'm just glad Hashem has allowed the Jews to currently be the stewards of the land of Israel. May we merit to coming of moschiach and the worldwide recognition that Torah is truth.

And for the record, if he re-reads what I said above, I gave exactly zero commentary on Zionism when I said "I think it's some kind of Zionist thing." For All he knows, I might be a Zionist.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,629,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
.....For All he knows, I might be a Zionist.
I know you're not as we've had this conversation before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism