Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 05:48 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,931 times

Advertisements

No, I'm referring to OT and NT. And by God, I mean Yahweh, Father of Jesus. I understand that there are irreconcilable difference between OT and Torah, but they do share the same origin. No?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:00 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
No, I'm referring to OT and NT. And by God, I mean Yahweh, Father of Jesus. I understand that there are irreconcilable difference between OT and Torah, but they do share the same origin. No?
They absolutely do not share the same origen. The Torah was taught by G-d to Moses on Mount Sinai and was given to the Jews as our document detailing how to live our lives.

The OT is a man made document that was created entirely with the purpose of destroying the Jewish people, and de facto has become a roadmap on how to murder Jewish souls. Hardly the same origen. Hardly the same document.

What we Jews want is for the Chrstians who have attempted to graft us Jews out of our own tree, to graft themselves right back out. I have no problem with a Chrstian being a Chrstian. But why must they constantly seek out Jewish souls in an attempt to murder those souls? Why must they tell us what is meant by the words in our Torah. And funny on that - they can't even read out written Torah in its native language (Hebrew), and they certainly cannot even begin to understand what is in the Talmud, our Oral Torah, which is written in Aramaic and Hebrew, and cannot be learned without the guidance of oral transmission from Jewish parent /teacher/ rabbi to student. The written Torah is worthless and impossible to properly understand without the oral Torah (Talmud) to explain what it all means.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:31 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Like TFF, I'd have to say no. While the original Christians might have been Jews, the origin of modern Christianity is not the same as Judaism, and the two religions are very different.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
No they don't share the same origin. This was shown in #918. The OT is the Greek version with multiple changes to the original. Thus it's a branch. Plus they created the word Y****h from a word that's not pronounceable in Hebrew. Judaism does not even attempt to pronounce it and replaces it with a salutation.

Instead of trying to match book to book, you need to research and read how Christianity was transformed from it's original version to it's current version. You need to research how by creating a new book it wiped out all the rituals of the old one. You need to research JC and who he was as a physical person. Without reverse engineering and following the steps backwards, you will not comprehend Judaism.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,931 times
Very interesting. I'll study it further on my own to find out more on the differences between Torah and the OT. However, if the written Torah is useless without the oral Torah as TFF says, how can a gentile like myself learn about it properly?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:24 AM

864 posts, read 871,208 times
Quote:
Very interesting. I'll study it further on my own to find out more on the differences between Torah and the OT. However, if the written Torah is useless without the oral Torah as TFF says, how can a gentile like myself learn about it properly?
Seriously, why don't you read or listen to the history series by either Rabbi Wein, or Ken Spiro. They're both interesting and easy to understand. Once you know what happened and when, your questions will fall away.

Do you even know WHY the written Torah is useless without the oral Torah?

For differences between Torah and OT, anything by Jews for Judaism Intl. | Together We Can Keep Jews Jewish or by Outreach Judaism - Judaism's Response to Christian Missionaries will enlighten you.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Crusoe you might find this book interesting to read.
The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity:Amazon:Books

Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Crusoe you might find this book interesting to read.
The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity:Amazon:Books
This book is the most informative book I've ever read on the birth of Chrstianity.

Yeah, Hyperion and I agree on something. :-)

Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but you cannot learn about it properly. The Torah was never intended to be a static written document. Without the mesorah (oral tradition), it has no context. And as we've seen with the history of persecution of the Jews, that lack of context has proven to be very dangerous.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:13 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Nah. You're a Reform Jew. You probably don't believe in anything.
Got you a bit worked up there didn't I.

Also, with regards to the whole multiple gods thing this is mainly the historical aspect I was coming from.
http://booksnthoughts.com/ancient-je...-of-many-gods/

After your and iwish's responses it is clear this thought process is heretical to orthodoxy and I will go elsewhere to find the answers I was looking for instead of getting you even more riled up.

Last edited by HyperionGap; 01-03-2014 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism