Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times

Advertisements

Hey folks. In the discussions I've been having here at this forum, I've had many times where an answer I gave to a question led the thread down an alternate pathway than what the OP intended (sorry Mods, I'm not being bad on purpose). Somebody suggested I start a new thread called "Ask a Jew."

Who am I? I'm an Orthodox Jew living in a major city in America. Any views I present will be the views of a Torah Observant Jew - one who attempts to follow all 613 mitzvahs given in the Torah. I'm not a rabbi, but I learn Torah and Talmud every day of the week and have immersed myself in a life of Torah. There's no such thing as a person who knows "All" of the Torah, but for the purposes of this forum, I can give it a shot.

One quick thing, is I will not be online during the Jewish Sabbath (sundown Friday to sundown Saturday night). So if you ask a question during that time, perhaps one of the fellow non observant Jews on this site can answer.

Speaking of non-observant Jews, their answers will sometimes differ from mine. It doesn't make mine right and theirs wrong - just different views.

My friends, ask away...

Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Who am I? I'm an Orthodox Jew living in a major city in America.
Any views I present will be the views of a Torah Observant Jew.
Just be careful to qualify your statements and perspective so as to reflect this.

Quote:
Speaking of non-observant Jews, their answers will sometimes differ from mine.
It doesn't make mine right and theirs wrong - just different views.
Like that.

When you KNOW what the specific differences are...
you have the obligation of the informed to pass that along.

hth

Old 12-29-2011, 03:21 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,022 times
Since you mentioned the Sabbath, what does keeping the Sabbath entail for you personally? What sort of things do you do with yourself on a typical Sabbath? I've heard that some people take it to the point of not even flipping light switches, while others are more relaxed about it. I'm just curious where you stand with it.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:26 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
give it a shot.

One quick thing, is I will not be online during the Jewish Sabbath (sundown Friday to sundown Saturday night). So if you ask a question during that time, perhaps one of the fellow non observant Jews on this site can answer.
Im not that observant, but even I know that suggesting that a Jew violate shabbos is an aveirah.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Speaking of non-observant Jews, their answers will sometimes differ from mine. It doesn't make mine right and theirs wrong - just different views.
As possibly will that of observant jews who differ from your outlook. Anyway, I think it will differ more by philosphy/outlook (hashkafah) than by praxis. I am a Conservative Jew who is somewhat observant (but not shomer shabbos - yet) - I am sure there are reform jews who are about as observant as I am, and Im pretty sure there are orthodox affiliated people who consider O answers superior to C answers who are nonetheless no more observant than I am. We would all give very different answers, though we might eat and not eat (as an example) the same things.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im not that observant, but even I know that suggesting that a Jew violate shabbos is an aveirah.
Sorry BBD, you are right. I could have worded that differently. Chas v' shalom I would suggest another Jew violate the Shabbos.

Quote:
Since you mentioned the Sabbath, what does keeping the Sabbath entail for you personally? What sort of things do you do with yourself on a typical Sabbath? I've heard that some people take it to the point of not even flipping light switches, while others are more relaxed about it. I'm just curious where you stand with it.
Stavemaster, I plan to answer your question, but I'm about to go offline for several hours, and this response is going to take some time. I'm one of those no-light-switchers on Shabbos Jews you referenced. If I forget to come back to your question, please remind me later.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Mosaic Law. Was it ever rescinded? Why would you not follow it?

So no sacrifice is needed since there is no temple? Why did Solomon build a temple then? It would have just been easier to not do them, wouldn't it?

er cause G-d told him to, and it was an honor.

There is a school of thought that says that the sacrifices were a compromise with human inclination, when the neighbors of the Jews all did animal sacrifices, and that G-d kindly instituted them, but that when mashiach comes the beit ha mikdash is rebuilt there will not be sacrifices, or at least not animal sacrifices.

Though O Jews do pray daily for the reinstitution of the sacrifices (the C liturgy says something a bit vaguer about remembering the sacrifices and restoring the ancient worship)

Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry BBD, you are right. I could have worded that differently. Chas v' shalom I would suggest another Jew violate the Shabbos.
consider yourself forgiven, as far as its in my power

But do remind yourself to be tolerant of all those whose observance is dominated by "not yet"

Old 12-29-2011, 03:36 PM

And one more quick point. I reserve the right to try to determine who is trying to proselytize or trick me with their questions. The purpose of this thread is for sincere questions you always wanted to know.

And like BBD said in an earlier post, there are other Jews who can and I'm sure will answer your questions as well. And don't take our lack of consensus to mean much. Internal arguing among Jews about what is the true Jewish view on any subject is the foundation upon which the Jewish faith is built, so it should be expected and even celebrated.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
And one more quick point. I reserve the right to try to determine who is trying to proselytize or trick me with their questions. The purpose of this thread is for sincere questions you always wanted to know.
there are a lot of christian obsessions with aspects of Judaism that are rooted in polemic, whether or not the person currently expressing them is even aware of it. The whole obsession with why and how sacrifices were ended is one those. Its not a real issue of interest to most modern jews (now whether the beit hamikdash hashlishi folks hanging out in Jer and preparing cohenim's garments are gantze meshuggah, thats a different question) Its mostly of interest to folks trying to prove something about an alternative to sacrifice other than prayer, repentance, and charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism