Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Oprah's Visit to Hasidic Brooklyn - A Jewish.TV Exclusive Interview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 AM

295 posts, read 554,843 times
Chabad is very modern compared to WIlliamsburgh or boro park. be much different if she was with the Satmars.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Watching part of it this evening, and Oprah asked the women about their role in the family, are they subservient to the man. The women were quick to say no, and to further make it clear that they were the more knowledgeable and worldly than the men because they have multiple degrees, and spend a lot of reading (no TV or computers), while the men typically study only the Torah.

I suspect the same is true for those that spend the majority of their study time with their mind immersed solely in any single book, and especially when that book is so absurdly out of touch.

Perhaps that's why one of the more mopic theists believed that if you look at an object in space that was a light years distant, that through a telescope you saw events in real time. The original thread was about creation and that the entire universe was only 13,000 years old. I asked why then was it possible to see light just arriving from 100,000 light years distant. To which I was set straight with this gem of astounding ignorance.

Quote:
ok, if your using a telescope doesnt this bring your vision closer. And when a light is turned on can't you see it instantly? Sure, the light may travel at a speed but my eye can see instantly, especially if I bring my eye closer to what I'm looking at. Think about it. Does it take light years for your eye to see millions of lightyears away? Of course not. It's pretty instantly, as soon as you put your eye up to it. Do you see the light now?

I didn't even have to pray about this one. wow.
Sorry to hijack a thread about Hasidic Jews, but this was the question that immediately came to mind watching the interview with the Hasidic women tonight.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Sorry to hijack a thread about Hasidic Jews, but this was the question that immediately came to mind watching the interview with the Hasidic women tonight.
Oh, that Oprah! She'll do anything for television. She asks Hasidic women if they're subservient to men. You might think there would've been a little more research going into the process beforehand. (That's probably just me; I majored in journalism at school, and the standards have evidently decreased since those days).

Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You might think there would've been a little more research going into the process beforehand. (That's probably just me; I majored in journalism at school, and the standards have evidently decreased since those days).
Then as a journalist you would think that you would know that from time to time journalist ask questions for which they already know the answer to. The purpose of which is to allow the subject to speak in their own words, answers to questions that their viewers/readers might have.

Or don't they teach such thing in journalism schools these days?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
(That's probably just me; I majored in journalism at school, and the standards have evidently decreased since those days).
Oprah's not a journalist. She's a personality who asks questions.

I watched her afternoon show when she went to the FLDS compound in Texas a few years ago. Unbelievable. They pretty much led her around and told her what they wanted the world to hear. She never challenged any of their statements. She never asked a follow up question.

It might be an interesting program to watch (I'd like to learn more about the community), but no one should watch Oprah and expect in-depth reporting.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:45 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Oprah is the Tom Green of Journalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism