Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Whats wrong with a Jew believing in Jesus? He was a pretty smart rabbi...and out shone Moses or Abraham.....don't get it why the Jews don't like the king of the Judeans (Jews) as Pilate once called him...Even the Muslims see Jesus as a great prophet....after all Christianity is a Jewish sect...is it not?
Christianity is not a Jewish sect and hasn't been for more than 2,000 years. Paul saw to that by discarding Jewish law, ritual and tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I think "messianic jews" are an insidious nasty little Christian group with obvious alterior motives.

They are some of the worse sorts of Christians, IMO.
Sure that Jesus did not go around - rounding up followers...You either followed or you did not..He was not concerned about those that did not want to follow...He never forced anyone to do anything.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Christianity is not a Jewish sect and hasn't been for more than 2,000 years. Paul saw to that by discarding Jewish law, ritual and tradition.
Not so sure about that.

Paul was an observant Jew and remained so for his lifetime, obeying all of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) that are binding on the individual.

Was Paul a Jew? will help you understand who Paul was.

In Was Paul a Jew? (http://tinyurl.com/yhbps6s - broken link), her first piece as a columnist for Tablet, Judith Shulevitz writes about a new school of thought on Paul: The apostle, long considered the progenitor of anti-Semitism, may never have left his Judaism behind.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 AM

467 posts, read 1,521,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just for s&g's what say you my friend to these findings:
Reporting in the April issue of PLoS Genetics, the researchers found that modern day Jews can attribute about 3% to 5% of their ancestry to sub-Saharan Africans, and that the exchange of genes between Jews and sub-Saharan Africans occurred approximately 72 generations, or about 2,000 years, ago.

Priya Moorjani, a doctoral student in Reich’s lab who led the research, was surprised that the degree of African DNA was so consistent across the various Jewish populations. She had expected, for example, that North African and Middle Eastern Jews would have a greater degree of genetic mingling than Europeans, based on their geographic proximities.

So the findings, Moorjani said, may point to a shared ancestry among the various Jewish groups. “It’s definitely suggestive that most Jewish populations have a common ancestral population,” she said.
Read more: Genes Tell Tale of Jewish Ties to Africa
This is very well established science and nothing new. Look into the Cohen modal haploid. Jewish groups all over the world share similar ancestry.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:
Sure that Jesus did not go around - rounding up followers...You either followed or you did not..He was not concerned about those that did not want to follow...He never forced anyone to do anything.
Didn't he purportedly say, "No one gets to the Father except through me?", though? That's a pretty potent statement. Please forgive me if I misquote anything; I'm not an expert in Christian literature. Moreover, some of his followers murdered people who wouldn't convert.

Last edited by 1+1=5; 04-04-2012 at 05:06 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Whats wrong with a Jew believing in Jesus? He was a pretty smart rabbi...and out shone Moses or Abraham.....don't get it why the Jews don't like the king of the Judeans (Jews) as Pilate once called him...Even the Muslims see Jesus as a great prophet....after all Christianity is a Jewish sect...is it not?
It's not that we don't "like" him; many Jews are understandably apprehensive and resentful after thousands of years of forced conversions and persecutions. "Like" isn't perhaps the right word. It's not about liking; we don't elevate him over other historical figures. Then we've got people insisting we have to believe he is G-d; as theflipflop said, we just want to live our lives, do our thing, because we don't try to tell everyone else what they should do or believe.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Not so sure about that.

Paul was an observant Jew and remained so for his lifetime, obeying all of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) that are binding on the individual.

Was Paul a Jew? will help you understand who Paul was.

In Was Paul a Jew? (http://tinyurl.com/yhbps6s - broken link), her first piece as a columnist for Tablet, Judith Shulevitz writes about a new school of thought on Paul: The apostle, long considered the progenitor of anti-Semitism, may never have left his Judaism behind.
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here; I really am trying to wrap my mind around this. Didn't Paul violate the mitzvah where you don't entertain any G-d but the eternal? If not, what's the difference between Paul and these people nowadays that are Christians but do Passover dinners and try to keep mitzvot?

Thanks.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
Yes, they did airlift the Falasha people out of Ethiopa. I am not aware of any that were left behind unless it was their choice. Israel is not known for leaving anyone behind. It has been said that the Ark of the Covenant has been or is somewhere in Ethiopia, which may explain Jews so far removed from the Middle East.
As far as the Messianic movement its not logical, at least to me. The basic difference between Jews and Christians is that Jews believe the Messiah is to come while Christians believe he has been here and gone. I equate the Messianic movement to being a little pregnant, you either are or not, your either a Jew or a Christian.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
If not, what's the difference between Paul and these people nowadays that are Christians but do Passover dinners and try to keep mitzvot?
From Was Paul a Jew?

Quote:
Paul didn’t nullify Jewish law, nor did he, as Luther would claim later, place grace above works (that is, to paraphrase crudely, the acceptance of Jesus over the performance of mitzvot), or justification by faith above justification by law (being seen as righteous by God by virtue of your belief, rather than by virtue of your good deeds). Or rather, Paul did do those things—a less Lutheran version of them, anyway—but he didn’t mean for the whole world to do them, too. He attacked Jewish law only in the context of a very narrow debate raging in the earliest decades of the Jesus movement. Some Jewish Jesus-movement activists said that their pagan acolytes had to convert to Judaism before they could join the movement. Paul disagreed in the strongest possible terms (he did everything in the strongest possible terms). He maintained that these gentiles had to follow only the pre-rabbinic equivalent of the Noahide laws—the seven edicts against idolatry, adultery, etc., that all non-Jews are expected to follow. After hearing Jesus’ call—the first and still greatest revisionist, Krister Stendahl, insists that Paul experienced a call, in the manner of a Protestant minister, not a conversion—Paul took it upon himself to roam Asia Minor and preach the gospel to gentiles, and he so opposed their becoming Torah Jews that he devoted most of his letters to assaulting all the other evangelists who thought they should. These, one deduces, had been following him from city to city and telling his congregants that he was wrong about Judaism, which naturally enraged him.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I continue to thank people for answering my original question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism