Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times

Advertisements

According to When Handling Precious Scrolls, Torah Lifters Pray for Successful Hoist - WSJ.com, "Dropsies Have 'Dire' Consequences; After a Fall, a Long Fast for All"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to When Handling Precious Scrolls, Torah Lifters Pray for Successful Hoist - WSJ.com, "Dropsies Have 'Dire' Consequences; After a Fall, a Long Fast for All"
Very interesting link, Walter!

Lots of good information in the link, too. In the Jewish Community, do weight-lifters measure their strength by how many Torah Scrolls they can bench-press? Maybe the ceremony needs someone to "rep" the lifter, like in weight-lifting.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,812,279 times
I see the spotters.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
There was a dropped Torah in my community recently (not at my shul). After consulting many great Rav's the result was the entire shul was obligated to a one-day daytime fast. It was big news locally.

I take great pride in my Haggbah (the honor of hoisting the Torah scroll for all to see, at the conclusion of the Shabbos Torah reading). It must be done in a way that preserves the scroll, as most of our Torah scrolls are 30+ years old. And it must be done in a halachically proscribed manner, i.e. a minimum of three columns of writing must be visible, and it must be held in a way that all congregants can see the actual writing.

The real trick (and Walter will know what I mean) is doing Haggbah on the holiday of Simchas Torah. That's the one Haggbah a year that requires both skill and stength. Walter, you want to explain that one?

BTW, the rule of the Gabbai (the man in charge of dispensing honors during the Torah reading) in my shul, is that any less than perfect Haggbah, and he puts you on "the bench" for a few weeks to view others' Haggbahs before he gives you another chance.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
The real trick (and Walter will know what I mean) is doing Haggbah on the holiday of Simchas Torah. That's the one Haggbah a year that requires both skill and stength. Walter, you want to explain that one?
It's at the end of/beginning of reading from the Torah scrolls and almost all the weight is on the left hand side. It's a tough one to lift and, with your back to the congregation and with your arms spread apart, raise above your head.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:40 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I see the spotters.
Ah - THAT'S the word I was looking for...
I guess my secret's out - I don't spend a lot of time at the gym...

Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
Quote:
It's at the end of/beginning of reading from the Torah scrolls and almost all the weight is on the left hand side. It's a tough one to lift and, with your back to the congregation and with your arms spread apart, raise above your head.
In addition to Walter's great answer, the person doing Haggbah also places their left hand on the right spindle and their right hand on the left spindle, lifts the Torah and switches the spindles mid lift. VERY difficult - and only done this one time a year. My shul actively seeks out one of a few men/strong boys in the community for this one day to assure we have somebody to do the haggbah properly.

I'v never known why this is the minhag (custom). I should ask my Rav.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,589,995 times
Quote:

I am curious as to what you think about the incident involving this bishop in Atlanta Eddie Long who was crowned a King and a so called ancient Torah was used in the ceremony? They placed him on a Throne and lifted him up in the air and walked him around.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM

380 posts, read 430,483 times
I apologize for bumping this thread.

I remember when my Zaidy was receiving an aliyah at the Synagogue because of his 90th birthday or some other occasion that I was going to have to lift up the Torah. I wasn't looking forward to this in the slightest because I was terrified I was going to have an "incident," but thankfully something happened and I guess the lifting was assigned to another person and I was quite relieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism