Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Hundreds of ultra-Orthodox protesters riot in flashpoint town of Beit Shemesh Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

I was speaking of 1 incident, there have been more. But it speaks to more then the 1 person you say spit on a little girl.

It speaks to an incident of violence where 100's came out and acted violently.

Whether 1000's or 100's it is the ultra orthodox and it is unacceptable.

What I find really strange is on the one hand you condemn them, and on the other hand you blame the victims and media.

On the one hand you say all orthodoxy is being blamed yet we all know that haridim are a very extreme form of orthodoxy. And on the other hand you say the orthodox have spoken out against it.

We know the orthodox world has spoken out against it and condemned it as have all the progressive movements.

You seem to find it hard to simply say it is wrong.
Becasue the subject isn't so black and white (ha ha). Can't you see that blame for what happened in Beit Shemesh goes both directions? Each side should stand up and take responsibility for what they have done wrong. The Chareidim have among their numbers a few provocateurs who think violence is the solution to what bothers them. The non-Chareidim have among their numbers a few provocateurs who think that purposely baiting the most extreme among the Chareidim is the solution to what bothers them.

Don't you see, there are two sides to this story? I have owned up to the improper actions of the few Chareidim who caused this tiff. Can you do the same?

Quote:
yet we all know that haridim are a very extreme form of orthodoxy.
What a silly statement. I thought we were trying to be better than that type of phobic hyperbole in this forum now. That statement is no better than me calling the Women of the Wall a bunch of bra burners.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM

584 posts, read 597,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
OK, that's fair. I like to use strong words when I'm describing the actions of provocateurs, as I do not like provocateurs. If those people wanted to change the behavior of the extremist chareidim in Beit Shemesh (and I can see why they would), they should have gone to the courts - not intentionally put themselves in harm's way. I'm not blaming that little girl who was walking to school and got spit on. I'm not blaming innocent secularists who are walking to a doctor's clinic. But I am blaming that female soldier who organized a group of her friends, called the media in advance, and then boarded a clearly identified segragated bus and refused to sit in the section reserved for women. That's provocation and is behavior I cannot admire or condone. Nor should you.
Full disclosure: you're talking to someone who was active in the US civil rights movement and jailed for my efforts.

One of my favorite people is Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel who once wrote: "To be is to stand for," - I stand with those women.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Becasue the subject isn't so black and white (ha ha). Can't you see that blame for what happened in Beit Shemesh goes both directions? Each side should stand up and take responsibility for what they have done wrong. The Chareidim have among their numbers a few provocateurs who think violence is the solution to what bothers them. The non-Chareidim have among their numbers a few provocateurs who think that purposely baiting the most extreme among the Chareidim is the solution to what bothers them.

Don't you see, there are two sides to this story? I have owned up to the improper actions of the few Chareidim who caused this tiff. Can you do the same?

What a silly statement. I thought we were trying to be better than that type of phobic hyperbole in this forum now. That statement is no better than me calling the Women of the Wall a bunch of bra burners.
Moderator cut: rudeness is deleted

Orthodoxy is not a monolith and to say mainstream orthodoxy is the same as ultra orthodoxy is what I would expect from someone who is not Jewish.

Yes it is as black and white as what I have said.

Right is right and wrong is wrong.

As long as the ultra orthodox rabbinate is in control and the orthodox are the only form of Judaism supported by the state we will continue to have these issues.

Once other forms of Judaism are supported by the state and given equal status in Israel then we will have a Jewish population that is diverse and healthy.

As long as the ultra orthodox has a monopoly in Israel we will continue to see the practices of the ultra orthodox creeping into the society as a whole.

Israel needs to be a secular democracy with a diversity of Judaism practiced.

Please stop with the bra burning comments it really shows your true colors.................

Last edited by june 7th; 07-11-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM

311 posts, read 605,418 times
When I visited Jerusalem, any non-Jews were not allowed to enter that area.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:44 PM

584 posts, read 597,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
When I visited Jerusalem, any non-Jews were not allowed to enter that area.
What area was that?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

loca people - Orthodox version -

Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post

Oye Vey..........

The video speaks volumes..........

Old 07-10-2012, 03:36 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Interesting video. Oye vey is right. Clearly this video was made for the purposes of fear mongering and dividing k'lal yisrael. As if simply the images of frum men and women is supposed to be damning. All I see is images of beautiful frum Torah Jews, with a few slides of hate speech added for effect.

And BTW, this video supports the statistics showing frum Jews will soon be in the majority as non-frum Jews are disappearing at such alarming rates. Maybe it's time for you all to get with the Torah and stop standing against it?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Interesting video. Oye vey is right. Clearly this video was made for the purposes of fear mongering and dividing k'lal yisrael. As if simply the images of frum men and women is supposed to be damning. All I see is images of beautiful frum Torah Jews, with a few slides of hate speech added for effect.

And BTW, this video supports the statistics showing frum Jews will soon be in the majority as non-frum Jews are disappearing at such alarming rates. Maybe it's time for you all to get with the Torah and stop standing against it?

The other scenario is that now that the Israeli supreme court has said the Tal Law needs to be replaced it will be and haridim will serve in the idf and national service.

As they serve they will become a part of the state as the idf is the great equalizer in Israeli society.

The supreme court has ruled that the non orthodox streams of Judaism may now be classified as non orthodox rabbis and be paid as the orthodox are.

The result will be a growth of the non orthodox streams of Judaism.

If Israel keeps on this track and they really want a secular and democratic state then they will remove the monopoly the haradim have and allow for a diverse state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism