Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 AM

584 posts, read 597,586 times

Advertisements

Let me say right off the bat that I'm not a big fan of Pinchas. The Torah portion disturbs me: the zealot Pinchas disturbs me and the covenant of peace bestowed on Pinchas by God disturbs me.

What redeems the text for me is not what it says but how it is rendered. The slightest defect in a Torah scroll can render it unusable, but here - in referring to the brit shalom - we find shalom written ...

... with a broken vav, as if the spear used to kill was broken by God as as sign for all of us. There are other interpretations ... conflicting interpretations. Nu? Still, I look forward to an Israel where the brit shalom is whole ...

Oseh shalom bimromav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
I guess it won't surprise you when I tell you I'm named after Pinchas.

I think he was a hero. 24,000 Jewish men died due to the sexual immorality displayed by Zimri and his fellow sinners. The very existential existence of k'lal yisroel was in peril when Pinchas put an immediate stop to the plague by his actions. He saved countless Jewish souls. And the only "opportunity cost' was the life of this dangerous provocoteur (here we go again), Zimri.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Since the broken vav is inside the word Shalom, perhaps Hashem was trying to tell us that it was the spear (and Pinchas' actions) that caused Shalom with K'lal Yisroel? The spear (and his actions) seem to be embedded in shalom, telling us that sometimes violence is the only path to peace.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM

My kids and I had a long discussion at Shabbos lunch this last Shabbos about Zimri and Cozbi (although I admittedly told my kids Zimri and Cosbi were kissing in front of Moshe Rabbeinu's tent. They eventually be old enough to understand the true sin). My kids simply could not believe that a Jew - a prince at that - would be so disrespectful to their Rav, or to any Rav. We discussed the fact that k'lal yisroel stood by and failed to take action against Zimri for his actions, and that it was the heroism of Pinchas that saved the nation.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by june 7th; 07-10-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I guess it won't surprise you when I tell you I'm named after Pinchas.

Quote:
I think he was a hero. 24,000 Jewish men died due to the sexual immorality displayed by Zimri and his fellow sinners.
That is, indeed, the story.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Jayhawker, I had a good talk with a close friend of mine today who is one of America's most respected sofer's (not to mention being a gadol), and I asked him about this vav. He said there are no less than 20 major explanations for this "broken" vav, but here's the pshat (the surface explanation):

The meforshim tell us that Pinchas acted exactly as he was supposed to when he speared Zimri and Cozbi, and in doing so, he did indeed save all of k'lal yisroel. However, the broken vav in the word shalom comes to tell us that there is something unusual (as do all of the "abberations" in the ksav of the written Torah). In this case, it comes to tell us that although Pinchas acted properly in Hashem's eyes, that the action he took was only right for him and at that time, and that going forward, nobody else has a psak (rabbinic permission) to act similarly. For one, Pinchas took action directly in front of his Rav (Moshe Rabbeinu) without first asking a shaila (a halachic question of his Rav). And second, for the beinoni (the average Jew), violence is rarely if ever the route to reaching shalom.

Pinchas earned the bris shalom, and there's no machloches (dispute) among the poskim (the major halachic deciders) that what he did was correct. Furthermore, there are halachic concepts that the zealous are permitted to act zealously, but nobody else is. Chas v 'shalom that people should think they have this heter (permission) in today's times without first asking a shaila.

My sofer friend told me there's a book that came out recently that details every single "change" in the written ksav of the Torah, and it provides the mesorah on each, consulting many different midrashim and shailas. I'm going to track that book down. Should be fascinating.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Jayhawker, I had a good talk with a close friend of mine ... He said there are no less than 20 major explanations for this "broken" vav, ...
I am not at all surprised.

Quote:
..., but here's the pshat (the surface explanation): ...
... acoording to your friend.

Quote:
My sofer friend told me there's a book that came out recently that details every single "change" in the written ksav of the Torah, and it provides the mesorah on each, consulting many different midrashim and shailas. I'm going to track that book down. Should be fascinating.
It certainly could be. Or it could be yet another example of inkblot theology. Let me know when it comes out.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM

What is "inkblot theology?" I never heard that term before?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 AM

Etz Hayim offers ...
Quote:
In the text of the Torah scroll, the letter yod in Phinehas's name in the second verse (v.11) is written smaller than the other letters. When we commit violence, even if justifiable, the yod in us (standing for the name of God and for y'hudi, "Jew") is diminished thereby. In verse 12, the letter vav in shalom in the Torah scroll is written with a break in its stem. This is interpreted homiletically to suggest that the sort of peace one achieves by destroying one's opponent will inevitably be a flawed, incomplete peace.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM

And all of this goes to show something rather unique about the Jewish "good book." We should be commended for our ability to take even among the most revered Jewish leaders in all of history, and rebuke them for what they need rebuke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism