Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Advertisements

And go where??

Shas paper against haredi draft: We'll leave Israel - Israel Jewish Scene, Ynetnews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times

Good question..... I have few thoughts where they could go....... But what upsets me is that he isn't going to go anywhere, he is using the threat of leaving to get his way.

Kind of like a spoiled child.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Assuming the secular politicians get their way, I think the IDF stands to benefit greatly by having to increase their standards of yiddishkite to accomodate for thousands of Torah scholars joining their military ranks. I am quite certain HaKadosh BaruchHu's hand is to be found in all of this Chareidim draft talk.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM

I know the OP was created to enflame the situation, by quoting an out of the mainstream opinion. But I have a right down the middle (slightly left) opinion that I also think is valuable in this discussion. These words are from Likud MK Ze'Ev Elkin:

Quote:
MK (Likud) Ze’ev Elkin announced his party is working to reach a mutually agreeable solution to drafting chareidim explaining Likud does not support imposing ultimatums and the party will not support a plan that harms the torah community.

Meeting with chareidi representatives last week, Elkin explained that he will not permit anyone to harm the torah world. He acknowledged that his stance, along with the position of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu carries a political price, one they are willing to pay since they will not permit any harm to come to the torah community.
He went on to say these beautiful words:

Quote:
He feels that the torah community in Eretz Yisrael is among the nation’s biggest accomplishments of the last decades and therefore, he cannot be part of any plan that seeks to destroy this accomplishment. He explained that as a result of his position, the same position held by the prime minister, they will pay a heavy price in the media and political arena but this is simply the way things will play out because they remained committed to not harming the torah community.

The Yeshiva World MK Elkin: No Forced Draft, No Harming Torah « » Frum Jewish News

Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I know the OP was created to enflame the situation, by quoting an out of the mainstream opinion. But I have a right down the middle (slightly left) opinion that I also think is valuable in this discussion. These words are from Likud MK Ze'Ev Elkin:

He went on to say these beautiful words:

The Yeshiva World MK Elkin: No Forced Draft, No Harming Torah « » Frum Jewish News
Good grief it is not harming the Torah world to expect haridim to do 2 years in the Idf, or national service. Like every other Israeli they need to do their 2-3 years then go study to their hearts content.

Hopefully the majority of Israelis will step up and make known to those making the decisions that there needs to be fairness.

All Israelis need to serve and those who don't and those Yeshivas who don't support it ought to lose any funding from the government.

Those haridim who refuse ought to lose any subsidies they have.

It is not going to destroy Torah, Judaism and Jews for the haridim to serve for 2-3 years then either go to work or on to yeshiva to study Torah.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 PM

Hey, that was one of your own non-Chareidi Jews who said those words. I'm just reporting what I read.

And if you want fairness, then I expect secular Jews to sit and learn in yishiva for 2-3 years so that there is true egalitarianism in Israel.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Hey, that was one of your own non-Chareidi Jews who said those words. I'm just reporting what I read.

And if you want fairness, then I expect secular Jews to sit and learn in yishiva for 2-3 years so that there is true egalitarianism in Israel.
The idf protects Israel and Israelis and those studying Torah don't. Israel is a democratic state. I don't care who said those words.

As far as I am concerned I would be proud if my children when they grew up wanted to go to Israel and be in the idf as lone soldiers to defend the homeland of the Jewish people.

Those who refuse should not be allowed to even live in Israel as Israeli citiens, they are traitors.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The idf protects Israel and Israelis and those studying Torah don't.
And therein lies the crux of the difference between secular and Torah Jews. You could not have said it any better. You think it's the efforts of mankind and womankind that protects mankind and womankind. I think think that Hashem protects us, and all we are called upon to do is put in our best effort.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
And therein lies the crux of the difference between secular and Torah Jews. You could not have said it any better. You think it's the efforts of mankind and womankind that protects mankind and womankind. I think think that Hashem protects us, and all we are called upon to do is put in our best effort.

The Arab nations would have destroyed the remnant that survived the camps had Jews just stood there holding the Torah.

G-d was with those who fought and won against all odds.

But if they had all stood there with Torahs there would be no Israel.

G-d protects those who stand up and protect themselves.

Never again.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
But if they had all stood there with Torahs there would be no Israel.
How do you know that? It could be that if they had stood there with their Torahs, there wouldn't be any Arabs left to fight with Israel. They chose instead to stand there with rifles. And look how nicely that has worked out for them.

Hashem can sanctify His name in whatever fashion he chooses. I doubt Hashem thinks a gun is more powerful than the Torah. But I recognize many of us mere mortals think otherwise.

Last edited by theflipflop; 07-16-2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: edited to fix the broken quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism