U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM

2,897 posts, read 1,016,734 times
Default Born Jewish?

I'm curious if anybody participating in this forum was born Jewish? (just to share first - I was born Jewish and was bar mitzvah'd in a Reform temple. Only later in life did I hear about Torah). What about you all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 PM

995 posts, read 603,789 times
Not sure. My mother told me she was Jewish, but a gentile family adopted her. I can't prove her lineage, as everyone is gone now.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 PM

10,124 posts, read 7,424,384 times
Born Orthodox Jewish with a proven maternal line that dates back close to 200 years.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Born Orthodox Jewish with a proven maternal line that dates back close to 200 years.
How long have you been OTD? Are you comfortable talking about it? I'll shut up, if not.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
How long have you been OTD?
Past tense, up to around middle school age.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
How long have you been OTD? Are you comfortable talking about it? I'll shut up, if not.
Sorry, by "OTD" I thought you would know I meant off the derech. I purposely used "code" so the others would not know what it meant. So you went off the derech in middle school? Wanna tell us more of your story? Helps us to know where you're coming from.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:12 PM

Not really. Auschwitz survivor father. Mizrahi Jewish mother whose family lived in Azza( now called Gaza) under Ottoman rule for numerous generations ( have tax stamped paperwork to prove land ownership from Ottomans and from British). Was Ger until 14 and basically left to go live with a secular family because I could see past the lies. Thats all I'm going to say on the subject.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 AM

40,060 posts, read 18,444,154 times
I was born Jewish. And as a matter of fact, the rabbi at my bar-mitzvah was Meir Kahane (it was one of the last congregations he led in New York City before going to Israel).

Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I was born Jewish. And as a matter of fact, the rabbi at my bar-mitzvah was Meir Kahane (it was one of the last congregations he led in New York City before going to Israel).
Since Kahane was an Orthodox Jew (or perhaps he called himself tradional?), that means you must have grown up with some Yiddishkite, Fred. Do you still have any of that, or have you gone the other direction?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 AM

6,714 posts, read 7,979,002 times
I was born to a Conservative mother and a nonreligious (but raised Christian) father. We moved to the deep South when I was 2 and my parents just assumed there would be a synagogue nearby. Unfortunately, the closest synagogue that was not Jews for Jesus affiliated was about 2 hours away. I grew up self-teaching a lot about Judaism and Israel, reading everything I could. I kept Kosher-style as a child (my parents did not and we had no access to Kosher meats).

I went to a Jewish university where I remain as a full time staff member and grad student. I found the Jewish community wholely unwelcoming to people who were not raised in it. Still, I was able to go to services with the wonderful Rabbi Al of Tuesdays with Morrie fame. I studied abroad in 3 different countries and sought the Jewish communities in London, Mexico, and Iceland (which amounted to the president's wife - but the PM was an alum of my university and set us up). While in London, I had a very traumatic experience with at a Jewish society meeting where an Orthodox rabbi led a discussion on dating. In the course of the discussion, he spoke about how infertile women could not marry a Jewish man who has not already had both a biological son and daughter. I have PCOS and so that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Later, after I graduated I tried to get involved in the post-college community. Then I got cancer, and found more doors slamming in my face in the Jewish community. I was 1000 miles away, 4 months into my first job (that I had to work full time through 6 months of chemo with), few friends left in the area, and handling a Stage IV cancer diagnosis alone - and could not find any emotional or logistical support from the people who should have been most present. Harkening back to that discussion in London, chemo has almost definitely rendered me infertile (instead of the likely infertile due to PCOS) so I struggle with feelings of resentment over that.

As it stands now, I will likely raise my children culturally Jewish, but my experiences do not make me very enthusiastic about raising them in the Jewish faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism