Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

It's the latest prescription for extreme ultra-Orthodox Jewish men who shun contact with the opposite sex: Glasses that blur their vision, so they don't have to see women they consider to be immodestly dressed. In an effort to maintain their strictly devout lifestyle, the ultra-Orthodox have separated the sexes on buses, sidewalks, and other public spaces in their neighborhoods. Their interpretation of Jewish law forbids contact between men and women who are not married. Now they're trying to keep them out of clear sight altogether.

For Orthodox Jewish Men: Glasses That Blur Women - Lenses help keep Israeli females out of sight and temptation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,299 times
Interesting. Whatever it takes, I suppose. I might get a pair of those myself, if they make them for females or stop going into the lunchroom at work. The married ladies spend all of their time looking up pictures of men online on their iPhones and trying to pass them around to look at. Not too into that one.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
John, I'm not sure you know how difficult it can be, at times, to live a tzniusdik life (a life where modesty is prized). And modesty applies to both Jewish men and women equally. I admire the men who purchase those glasses.

I imagine you created the thread to demonstrate how crazy these Jews are. I'm ok with that label, as long as it means we Jews are following Hashem's will. And I'm quite sure Hashem does not want Jewish men oogling women.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
John, I'm not sure you know how difficult it can be, at times, to live a tzniusdik life (a life where modesty is prized). And modesty applies to both Jewish men and women equally. I admire the men who purchase those glasses.

I imagine you created the thread to demonstrate how crazy these Jews are. I'm ok with that label, as long as it means we Jews are following Hashem's will. And I'm quite sure Hashem does not want Jewish men oogling women.

Mishna Taanit 4:8

I am pretty sure that our entire approach to tznius developed after Mishnaic times, probably under Islamic influence.

Still better that they wear blurry glasses than that they try to gender segregate the streets of Mea Shearim or Williamsburg.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 08-13-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,299 times
Quote:
And I'm quite sure Hashem does not want Jewish men oogling women.
Nor Jewish women ogling men.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
And just to think that I've been wearing glasses to correct nearsightedness for decades.....

Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
But can the glasses blur the imagination?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Oy vey--someone actually came up with the idea of glasses that blur? If anyone was looking for signs of the imminent demise of civilization...I think we've just seen one. (And, hopefully, it wasn't a blurry image!)

Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Oy vey--someone actually came up with the idea of glasses that blur? If anyone was looking for signs of the imminent demise of civilization...I think we've just seen one. (And, hopefully, it wasn't a blurry image!)
Some might say public beaches, Cinemax and mixed seating at concerts is a sign of the imminent demise of civilization. It's all POV.

Quote:
I am pretty sure that our entire approach to tznius developed after Mishnaic times, probably under Islamic influence.
I was thinking about this last night, BBD, and I'm quite sure all the laws of tznius are learned out from the actions of our matriarchs - Sarah, Rivka and Rachel.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this last night, BBD, and I'm quite sure all the laws of tznius are learned out from the actions of our matriarchs - Sarah, Rivka and Rachel.

the lines about them in Bereshis are few. If you mean to say that clever later authorities wrote midrash to attach the social views of their time to the matriarchs, I am not surprised. (and NO, thats not accuse the authorities of dishonesty, since they probably believed those to be true)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism