Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I have a question: Can one be Jewish and adhere to a religion other than Judaism?
Ask the same question, but substitute another religion. Does it make any more sense that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I have a question: Can one be Jewish and adhere to a religion other than Judaism?

by halacha, yes. When Bnai Israel followed the golden calf, they were sinners, worthy of death - but Taanach does not say they ceased to be Bnai Israel. If thats the case for the worst idolatry, why would it be different for christianity or islam?

By the wisdom of the folk, of Am Israel itself, however, one CAN cease to be Jewish. A Jew who claims atheism is still a Jew. But a Jew who converts to Christianity or Islam is not. Why would this be? because, for millenia, in christian and muslim societies, atheism was not recognized legally. A jew who denied G-d was still restricted to the Jewish ghetto - his FATE was still with Am Israel. A Jew who converted joined the ruling people, left the ghetto (often was forbidden by law to return to it, even to visit close relatives) and so had seperated himself from the fate of Am Israel.

This is why I think the folk wisdom also distinguishes between, say, a secularist Yiddishist Atheist (like the Bundists) , and a russian speaking communist like Trotsky. The bundists affirm the common fate with the rest of the people. The bolshevik denies his peoplehood, and sets himself against Jewish peoplehood. Ergo we say Trotsky was "born Jewish" but say Abraham Cahan, or even Sigmund Freud (who joined Bnai Brith) were "jewish atheists"

Old 08-16-2012, 05:31 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I'm a Christian and I'm always amazed of how often I agree with Jews.

I think is ridiculous to say that Jewish is a religion (what you believe) and a race (genes)
it doesn't make sense at all.
Otherwise, people could claim to be Jewish-Catholic, Jewish-Buddhist, etc.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:34 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Or much worse... Jewish-Chrstian.

Why do I say much worse? Because a group of Chrstians have organized to create this label in order to trick Jews into giving up their Olam Haba (world to come) by getting these poor uneducated Jews to believe that one can be a Jewish-Chrstian. Preposterous!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:19 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Or much worse... Jewish-Chrstian.

Why do I say much worse? Because a group of Chrstians have organized to create this label in order to trick Jews into giving up their Olam Haba (world to come) by getting these poor uneducated Jews to believe that one can be a Jewish-Chrstian. Preposterous!
I completely agree with you,
as a Christian, I'm also offended by the people that talk about "Judeo-Christianity"
You can't be both of them.

I believe is BS made up for political reasons (long story) and has nothing to do with religion.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
I believe is BS made up for political reasons (long story) and has nothing to do with religion.
Funny how the concepts of BS and politics wind up being linked so frequently, isn't it?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I completely agree with you,
as a Christian, I'm also offended by the people that talk about "Judeo-Christianity"
You can't be both of them.

Hard to be waiting for a messiah and believing that he already came at the same time. I think it's just a political or media term, too.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hard to be waiting for a messiah and believing that he already came at the same time. I think it's just a political or media term, too.
Genetic Jew here. Jew by birth. Christian by choice.

I'll let God sort it out.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:13 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
there ARE people who call themselves "jewbu's" There are halachic issues with buddism, but rather different from those involved with christianity - complicated by the fact that there really isnt a "standard" buddism - you can be a buddist polytheist, or, effectively, a buddist atheist.

for a good discussion of some of the issues, and a lot of other interesting stuff, read Amazon.com: The Jew in the Lotus: A Poet's Re-Discovery of Jewish Identity in Buddhist India (9780060645748): Rodger Kamenetz: Books

the story of a group of Jews, including the kinda sorta Orthodox Yitz and Blu Greenberg, and the ex-chabad (and now Jewish Renewal) Schachter shalomi, who go to India to visit the Dalai Lama (who was interested in learning how to survive in exile)

Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
The term race has never had a discrete definition. For most of history, up until well into the 20th century, the meaning of the word 'race' most often referred to what we call ethnicity or even nationality.

From an anthropological standpoint, it would be more accurate to describe the population of the religion of Jews as a tribe, not a race. A tribe is predicated on the notion of kinship, that is blood relations and familial ties who share a common belief and/or worldview that is passed down generation to generation and with a system of inheritance. So obviously, genes and blood relations play a very important role in understanding what Judaism is (not that I claim to be anything more than an interested outside observer).

However, acceptance into a tribal body, while guaranteed by birthright does not mean it is exclusive to a genotype. Tribes, in the anthropological sense, generally accept intermarriage and new members assuming the outsider is willing to assimilate, and according to whatever rules the tribe operates by.

Whatever one may think about Judaism being strictly a religion and having no racial component, recent genetic testing has indicated that the haplotypes present in Middle Eastern Jewish populations who have no known ancestry outside the region are present in the majority of members of even the most genetically mixed Germanic and Slavic Jews. Jews who settled in Medieval Europe certainly brought Germans and Poles into the tribe and it shows phenotypically, but they still have strong genetic ties to their Hebrew ancestors. This continues today obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism