Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

About a year ago I did some DNA testing and found many genetic matches among people who were unmistakably Ashkenazic. The genes show that I have distant ancestors who came from somewhere in eastern Europe and that my relatives who share these ancestors live all over what could be called the Jewish Diaspora, including Israel. They seem to be concentrated - or are Americans with roots in - Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Romania, and Germany. Most openly identify as Jewish and appear as such via looks and surname.

I know I cannot consider myself Jewish, as I had no knowledge of these relatives, and there is nothing about my upbringing that signifies Jewish religion or culture.

But I have always had an affinity both for Judaism and the Jewish-influence cultures of eastern Europe.

I know this is more of a culture/ethnicity question than a religious one, but I have seen ethnicity/culture discussions on this forum as well.

So, where does someone like me fit in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:12 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
About a year ago I did some DNA testing and found many genetic matches among people who were unmistakably Ashkenazic. The genes show that I have distant ancestors who came from somewhere in eastern Europe and that my relatives who share these ancestors live all over what could be called the Jewish Diaspora, including Israel. They seem to be concentrated - or are Americans with roots in - Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Romania, and Germany. Most openly identify as Jewish and appear as such via looks and surname.

I know I cannot consider myself Jewish, as I had no knowledge of these relatives, and there is nothing about my upbringing that signifies Jewish religion or culture.

But I have always had an affinity both for Judaism and the Jewish-influence cultures of eastern Europe.

I know this is more of a culture/ethnicity question than a religious one, but I have seen ethnicity/culture discussions on this forum as well.

So, where does someone like me fit in?
You're a friend of the Jews, then, and/or perhaps a righteous Gentile. (That's how I started, and eventually I converted. My mother told me she was Jewish, but she died when I was young. I studied and converted, which is the best thing I've ever done.)

So, you can fit in wherever your soul leads you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism