Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,516 times

Advertisements

(and forgive me, I've learned this once, but can't read my own writing in my scribbled session with the Rabbi),

The appearance of doing something wrong, even if it's technically not? Such as, (a very simplistic example), I'm eating fake bacon on a veggie burger with cheese?

Thanks very much,

Chana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
maarat ayin

Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 PM

Thanks very much.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
though eating fake bacon on veggie burger with cheese might NOT be considered maarat ayin, or at least not discouraged on that basis. The actual application is historically based, and somewhat arbitrary. The original basis for not eating dairy with chicken was maarat ayin, IIUC, but today jews of extreme frumkeit will eat toffuti after a meat meal. Similarly ashkenazim dont eat legumes on Passover due to maarant ayin, but WILL eat kosherforPassover baked goods on passover, which to any unknowing person, look exactly lack forbidden chametz.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:10 PM

377 posts, read 576,004 times
I tried looking it up but there's nothing factual about it all. The Jewish Virtual Library doesn't know what you are talking about. Where in TaNaKh does it occur? Where in the Talmud? The closest I can search includes Marit Ha-Ayin. But it's all very vague. This might be a very local and modern addition. Does it exist in Israel? Can you link to the source where it can be seen in Hebrew letters? That way I can search TaNaKh and Talmud myself in my Davka Soncino Talmud DVD.
The Wikipedia has a general article on "Appearance of Impropriety".

Old 09-02-2012, 12:44 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
I tried looking it up but there's nothing factual about it all. The Jewish Virtual Library doesn't know what you are talking about. Where in TaNaKh does it occur? Where in the Talmud? The closest I can search includes Marit Ha-Ayin. But it's all very vague. This might be a very local and modern addition. Does it exist in Israel? Can you link to the source where it can be seen in Hebrew letters? That way I can search TaNaKh and Talmud myself in my Davka Soncino Talmud DVD.
Judaism cannot be found on a CD, nor is it found in Wikipedia. It's a people,and it's how we live our lives. There are millions of Jews in the world who are very careful not to commit the aveira of maris ayin. If your current rabbi is unfamiliar with the idea, I suspect he/she is not really a rabbi. Grab a shulchan aruch and ask for help understanding what is inside. There are exhaustive discussions on maris ayin in the Mishna, Gamara, the works of the rishonim, the Tour, the Shulchan Aruch, the mishna berura as well as the shailos and t'shuvahs of the modern day posim. Please don't doubt or minimize such a concept, just because you can't find it on the internet.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:53 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
Apologies for spelling it wrong. It's spelled "מראית עין" in Hebrew, and is properly transliterated as Mar'it ayin. theflipflop is right, it does appear in all these texts, including the Talmud.

The Conservative seminary has a page with an example of it here:

The Jewish Theological Seminary - Tze U'lmad Va-y'hi

Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Apologies for spelling it wrong. It's spelled "מראית עין" in Hebrew, and is properly transliterated as Mar'it ayin. theflipflop is right, it does appear in all these texts, including the Talmud.

I knew what you meant - thanks.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:52 AM

377 posts, read 576,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post

Todah Rabah. I am using these discussions to help me navigate my Davka Soncino Talmud DVD. In doing so, the whole subject of "for appearances sake" is very interesting and very important in my own life. A very powerful tool. As is most of Talmud study. Very biological. That's why I have to be a Mediterranean person who lived there 2000 years ago to understand their reasoning. A lot still makes sense although it can be very abusive. It's based on majority observations as the norm. Still works naturally. We call it stereotyping today? Or "out of sight, out of mind'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism