Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 03:31 AM

377 posts, read 575,705 times

Advertisements

All my life, until 1997, this subject statement wasn't true. In fact, it was a huge problem in my own family. I had an Orthodox Hebrew education 7-12YO. My husband did not. His mom said she couldn't afford it. I was made to go to work to help support my children. I made sure they had a Conservative Hebrew education. Reform Judaism trivialized Biblical Hebrew until 1997. Inroads were being made before that individually in USA Reform Congregations. I was lucky that my grand daughter who started out in a Conservative synagogue and ended up in a Reform one for her Bat Mitzvah had a regular Bar Mitzvah type of Bat Mitzvah on Saturday morning and my two daughters, her aunts, and I were called to the Beema for Torah Reading. I was given the first aliyah.

In addition, I attended the Reform bicentennial in 1997 in Dallas where it was established that Hebrew language would be taught in all Reform Judaism in the USA.

Can we all agree with this much? That all forms of Judaism in the USA are based on TaNaKh in the Biblical Hebrew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 AM

Default Also About Sefer Torah

Does it really contain 304,805 letters?

Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM

Default Gender of God

Gender of God in Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Nature of G-d
The important realization is this:
If a group of people consist of all females and only one male is in the group, then Biblical Hebrew grammar uses the masculine form of the verb.
If a group of people consist of all females, then the Biblical Hebrew grammar uses the feminine form of the verb.
Thus any group of gods is either singular masculine or plural masculine. Such an easy way to accumulate and merge the "common laws" of different tribes of ancient Middle East by a thoughtful group of ancient men interested in universal ideas. Also observant of human behavior.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:05 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
...If a group of people consist of all females, then the Biblical Hebrew grammar uses the feminine form of the verb.
Thus any group of gods is either singular masculine or plural masculine. Such an easy way to accumulate and merge the "common laws" of different tribes of ancient Middle East by a thoughtful group of ancient men interested in universal ideas. Also observant of human behavior.
Trying to daven with the word Gaverit or Gvira in some form would not have a natural feel of flow in a hebrew sentence.

daven=pray
gaverit/gvira=madam/lady

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 AM

From my USA-Jewish Culture&Civilization there are two modern Internationally political leaders who misrepresented TaNaKh: Hitler and Marx. City-Data won't let me use my MEIN KAMPF quotes to show how brilliant a politico Hitler was because of copyright issues (assumption). Marx was brought up without a Jewish education in order to survive economically as a human being.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
Can we all agree with this much? That all forms of Judaism in the USA are based on TaNaKh in the Biblical Hebrew?
Only in the United States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism