Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:11 PM

938 posts, read 1,510,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I love your posts, Usuario, but, I have to disagree on this one. There's nothing really racist about it; if a Jewish man marries a gentile woman, their kids aren't Jewish, and assimilation has won.
Do we really disagree? If I only want to marry someone commited to Judaism because I want my kids to be raised Jewish, that's not racist. But if I don't care about Judaism and only want to marry anotehr Jewish person because I think non-Jews aren't as intelligent and worldly as Jews, then THAT is racist. It all depends on the reason.

I'd be curious as to whether theflipflop has an opinion as to why some secular Jews want to marry fellow secular Jews over gentiles.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:18 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,726,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Do we really disagree? If I only want to marry someone commited to Judaism because I want my kids to be raised Jewish, that's not racist. But if I don't care about Judaism and only want to marry anotehr Jewish person because I think non-Jews aren't as intelligent and worldly as Jews, then THAT is racist. It all depends on the reason.

I'd be curious as to whether theflipflop has an opinion as to why some secular Jews want to marry fellow secular Jews over gentiles.
I see what you're saying now. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:29 PM

15,830 posts, read 21,340,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Wow, nearly every post on this page (except for 1+1's and Juliet Bravo's) state some kind of blatant misconception, or outright libel, about what Orthodox Jews believe. I'm so saddened. Are you folks just not reading what I say? Or are your pre-conceptions so strong, that what I say isn't getting through to you? Everyone of these ideas is uterrly incorrect:

These statements above aren't just wrong - they're downright offensive. And I won't even respond to robertpolygot's offensive-post-of-the-year. Shocking! Buts Mods, please don't take his post down, as it's a good road marker for all in this forum to see where he is coming from in his posts. All of these posts, for that matter.
Lying is also wrong and offensive. What you quoted of my post is truth - and you (as well as several rabbis of various persuasions - including the Orthodox rabbi I first heard it from) have confirmed in the past.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,855,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Thank you all for responding to my thread; the responses have been interesting. Robertpolyglot: yes, conversion can be an issue unless the man in an non-observant Jew. You say, for the observant Jew, he would demand conversion--probably, more often than not. But I wonder if he would be open to allowing his wife to remain an observant Christian provided she does not desire to convert him? Personally, as a Christian woman, myself (with possible Jewish ancestry back a couple generations), I would never want to convert a Jewish person (out of respect). Are synagogues generally accepting toward a Jewish man who has his Christian wife attend services with him?
It really depends on the person. I doubt an observant conservative Jew would be fine with it, but an observant reform Jew might very well be.

As for synagogues, it will depend. I attend a Conservative congregation, and it is very welcoming to inter-faith couples. But there are restrictions: our rabbi will not officiate an inter-faith wedding, the non-Jewish partner cannot become a member of either the congregation or the board, they cannot be called to the Torah or participate in some religious rituals. We also require any children born to a non-Jewish mother to be formally converted to Judaism.

It really will depend on the congregation, the community, and the rabbi.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
It really depends on the person. I doubt an observant conservative Jew would be fine with it, but an observant reform Jew might very well be.

As for synagogues, it will depend. I attend a Conservative congregation, and it is very welcoming to inter-faith couples. But there are restrictions: our rabbi will not officiate an inter-faith wedding, the non-Jewish partner cannot become a member of either the congregation or the board, they cannot be called to the Torah or participate in some religious rituals. We also require any children born to a non-Jewish mother to be formally converted to Judaism.
I agree. I don't believe in converting to accommodate a marriage. Let me digress into politics for a second, because it's relevant. I think Ann Romney wasn't too invested in her Episcopal upbringing to make such a drastic change to Mormonism. If one marries someone of another faith, you take that spouse for what they are and attend different religious services. If they have kids, then it will be a problem. For me, it wouldn't work, so I've never dated outside of my religion.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,285,296 times
Quote:
To put it simply, I stopped believing in Jesus. I still believed in God, but nothing that I had been taught as a Christian held true. My wife stopped identifying as a Christian several years ago as well.
You already answered this. Look back a few posts.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:24 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,855,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You already answered this. Look back a few posts.
You asked why I converted to Judaism. That is the answer.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:54 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,726,786 times
Quote:

It really will depend on the congregation, the community, and the rabbi.
True. Many Conservative Rabbis will not convert a person married to a gentile, either. It creates the problem of an interfaith marriage.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 AM

377 posts, read 574,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Wow, nearly every post on this page (except for 1+1's and Juliet Bravo's) state some kind of blatant misconception, or outright libel, about what Orthodox Jews believe. I'm so saddened. Are you folks just not reading what I say? Or are your pre-conceptions so strong, that what I say isn't getting through to you? Everyone of these ideas is uterrly incorrect:

These statements above aren't just wrong - they're downright offensive. And I won't even respond to robertpolygot's offensive-post-of-the-year. Shocking! Buts Mods, please don't take his post down, as it's a good road marker for all in this forum to see where he is coming from in his posts. All of these posts, for that matter.
Todah Rabah!! The more the merrier for identification purposes!! That's what's so wonderful about Freedom of Information. Find out freely whom to trust. Depend on your own brain more&more. However, for me, a lot of these things said about Jewish women are actually true and have been said to me because the old Jewish males didn't know they were dancing with a Jewish female. So believe all this stuff is really part of the USA Jewish social scene.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 AM

377 posts, read 574,178 times
When my son was engaged to a gentile woman, he asked her to convert to Judaism. She took Hebrew in college immediately. The Hillel Rabbi at Rutgers was a Reconstructionist. It was his first wedding and first conversion. That's how I came to know about Reconstructionist. The Hillel Rabbi advised them to have an Orthodox Rabbi to participate in the conversion. They did.

It was a fun wedding, full of Jewish education, and 95 percent of the attendees were Christians. (We had a reception a week later in our state.) The Rabbi told my then daughter-in-law "You are now a card-carrying Israeli Jew." That meant my grand daughter is a Jew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism