Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,061 times

Advertisements

To conservative, reform, and non-religious Jewish men: would you ever consider marrying a gentile woman (especially if you both are older and raising children is not an issue)?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,362,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
To conservative, reform, and non-religious Jewish men: would you ever consider marrying a gentile woman (especially if you both are older and raising children is not an issue)?
That was wise not to ask this question of Torah Observant Jews... I guess you know my answer already...

Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 AM

377 posts, read 575,792 times
As a divorced female Jew, I never considered marrying a non-Jew. In fact, I couldn't find Jewish males who were content to date by going to Shabbat services. That was my filter. The two relationships I had, one refused and the other fell asleep They also had to know Hebrew so I could learn from them. Still can't happen intellectually. Even with males in their 80's.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,885 times
The ladies have the power to stem epochal changes, I think that if she is pretty attractive and kind can get great results, at last but not the least the female astuteness is a divine gift.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:57 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
I'll give you my California observations as a gentile.

Jewish guys with the "way cool" looks (Robert Downey Jr. types, he's part Jewish) in SoCal have NO problems dating "shixas" (gentile girls). In fact, they prefer them to the girls who are identifiable as Jewish merely by appearance. I know several blondes who married these guys, even converting to Judaism, when they were very indifferent to the Protestantism or Catholicism in which they were raised. I knew of a few (better looking) girls in my Catholic HS that went this route, and suddenly became devout, chucking out the Christmas tree.

Smart, nerdy, beta Jewish guys, typically up in the Bay Area, have no problem marrying Asian women. Beta Jewish guys and Chinese gals are "two peas in a pod" in the Bay Area, so much so that people comment on it. I have a Jewish friend, recently married to a Jewish woman, and living on San Francisco's peninsula who said the places he'd frequent required beating off Chinese women with a stick. I already knew "the answer," but asked him "Why's that?" He said, "Because Jewish men know how to make money." Funny, because he doesn't. He's a glad hander with a low attention span for detail and not enough stick-to-it-iveness.

I'd say half the Jewish men I know are married to non-Jewish women.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:05 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,362,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'd say half the Jewish men I know are married to non-Jewish women.
And none of their children will be Jewish. Hence why the statistics show that progressive forms of Judasim will all be gone from the earth in less than 100 years.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And none of their children will be Jewish. Hence why the statistics show that progressive forms of Judasim will all be gone from the earth in less than 100 years.
Hey, if these guys like good looking blondes, and not girls with the unattractive large nose/weak chin combination, then more power to them. I think they are secular Jews to begin with, so they don't care. They care about who's in bed next to them, first and foremost.

FWIW: there was one "Jewish look" in girls in SoCal that WAS attractive. It was the Sandra Bullock look, who I don't think is minimally Jewish. However, some Jewish brunettes whose features approximated hers were living in the Southland and were sought after. Whether their suitors were Jewish, gentiles or atheists, I don't know.

BTW: I'm not being shallow, just observant of social phenomenon. People watching is a kick.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Only if her conversion was already in the works.

I'm currenty in an inter-faith marriage (due to my conversion -we were both Christian when we were married), and the only reason it's possible is because we agreed that our home would be Jewish once I made the decision. And my wife attends services and celebrates Holy Days; I don't think it will be long before she converts as well.

In joining the Jewish people, I assumed Jewish concerns like assimilation and raising a Jewish family in a Jewish home. My spouse needs to feel the same.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
Only if her conversion was already in the works.

I'm currenty in an inter-faith marriage (due to my conversion -we were both Christian when we were married), and the only reason it's possible is because we agreed that our home would be Jewish once I made the decision. And my wife attends services and celebrates Holy Days; I don't think it will be long before she converts as well.

In joining the Jewish people, I assumed Jewish concerns like assimilation and raising a Jewish family in a Jewish home. My spouse needs to feel the same.
Why did you switch, especially when BOTH of you were Christians? I didn't even bother asking the Irish-Catholic or Italian-Catholic girls I went to HS with, because I "knew" the reason. Suddenly, Jesus never existed.

Growing up in America's 2 largest metro areas, I can sort of see this if one was RAISED Jewish. But to "buy in" at 25, or 35, or 45 tells me there's more to this than meets the eye.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:51 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Why did you switch, especially when BOTH of you were Christians? I didn't even bother asking the Irish-Catholic or Italian-Catholic girls I went to HS with, because I "knew" the reason. Suddenly, Jesus never existed.

Growing up in America's 2 largest metro areas, I can sort of see this if one was RAISED Jewish. But to "buy in" at 25, or 35, or 45 tells me there's more to this than meets the eye.
To put it simply, I stopped believing in Jesus. I still believed in God, but nothing that I had been taught as a Christian held true. My wife stopped identifying as a Christian several years ago as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.