U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 AM

377 posts, read 498,820 times

Advertisements

The more I think of what a Jew is, the more I agree with 4 Maccabees. It's a shame that Jewish Psychiatrists don't make use of his analysis of the Jewish Psyche historically. I even think he's the Baruch Spinoza of his day. I think he memorializes the reason we celebrate Hanukkah.
Thank goodness the Protestants rescued this Biblical Book in the Common English Bible. It's been hard to discuss this book with any one because it's not included in many bible versions.

First of all Hanukkah is NOT a TaNaKh event. It is inspired by the Apocrypha events described in 1 and 2 Maccabees which are only in the Christian bible not the Jewish Bible. The Dreidl is a creation to modify human behavior when the gambling game of tops was invented by the Germans. Those Hebrew letters were created from the German letters of how the game was played.

My story. Chabad in the late 1990's told us Jews and Christian adults taking first year Hebrew class that it was used back in Persian times. At the same time, the Israeli teaching the same course told us the true story. I was astonished. How could she? So I looked it up in my book form Encyclopaedia Judaica and discovered to my complete anger that she was right!! How could I trust any one again without looking everything up myself from then on.

Hence my feelings about 4 Maccabees being entirely necessary for our young Jewish kids to meet up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,302,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
The more I think of what a Jew is, the more I agree with 4 Maccabees. It's a shame that Jewish Psychiatrists don't make use of his analysis of the Jewish Psyche historically. I even think he's the Baruch Spinoza of his day. I think he memorializes the reason we celebrate Hanukkah.
Thank goodness the Protestants rescued this Biblical Book in the Common English Bible. It's been hard to discuss this book with any one because it's not included in many bible versions.
You may want to check this link,

Why were the Books of Maccabees excluded from the Christian Bible? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 09-09-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You just saved me!! it's been hard to see this in print. That is the missing link in my whining for the past ten years about the difference between Protestants and Catholics and that Catholics had all the original books of the Bible until Martin Luther came along with his politics. The full grapevine for me was that when he accomplished this, he expected that Jews would accept Jesus as their Messiah and the whole world would be repaired in the Jewish way, aka, Tikun Olam. When the Jews didn't accept his ideas, he became the model Jew-Hater. Scholars are soft-peddling this but I don't mind. I just am glad that last year we've all got a united Christianity with the Common English Bible.

Texas folks aren't too happy with that kind of thinking about Common English Bible. Immediately say don't pay attention to that Bible.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:48 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,302,730 times
Quote:
You just saved me!! it's been hard to see this in print. That is the missing link in my whining for the past ten years about the difference between Protestants and Catholics and that Catholics had all the original books of the Bible until Martin Luther came along with his politics. The full grapevine for me was that when he accomplished this, he expected that Jews would accept Jesus as their Messiah and the whole world would be repaired in the Jewish way, aka, Tikun Olam. When the Jews didn't accept his ideas, he became the model Jew-Hater. Scholars are soft-peddling this but I don't mind. I just am glad that last year we've all got a united Christianity with the Common English Bible.

Texas folks aren't too happy with that kind of thinking about Common English Bible. Immediately say don't pay attention to that Bible.
Not only is the Common English Bible unacceptable to nearly every one of the 35,000 Protestant/Fundamental denominations it is not acceptable as to Jews either.
A follower of it is not following Judaism.

I will say no more on this matter. It is not my place to comment any further.

If any of the Jewish members of this forum have something to add, may they do so now.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:03 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,434,904 times
Quote:
I just am glad that last year we've all got a united Christianity with the Common English Bible.
Are you messianic? I'm not sure why else you'd be so concerned with having a united Christianity with the Bible.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Are you messianic? I'm not sure why else you'd be so concerned with having a united Christianity with the Bible.

Because I'm Jewish and all the books in the Common English Bible were written by circumcised Jewish males except for Luke. I've never been corrected about this. So it simply helps me understand the contribution of all Jews to Western Culture and Civilization.

My bias is that the translation is the best translation of the Hebrew portion of this bible and it includes all the books. Now other Hebrew experts may disagree with me. I've had the opportunity in Temple Emanu-El in Talmud group to see two different Jews read Hebrew from the same page differently and even in Hebrew it makes a difference. One was reading it in the droning way, another repeated it in an upbeat way. So that's what I mean about the Common English Bible. It's upbeat, man!! It rocks and it's scientific too. Because of this I trust their Koine Greek into English translation.

The Talmud considers Hebrew the most Holy Language and Koine Greek the second most Holy language. Remember to create the Hebrew Canon, they selected from both the Hebrew and Koine Greek canons. There were both Greek and Semitic cultured Jews back then in the Mediterranean market place. Hence the importance of Josephus's KISS to the culture: Antony, Cleopatra, Arab and Jew.

You'll never understand unless you learn to read the Old Testament in Hebrew. You'll never understand the Koran until you own HaKoran.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 AM

584 posts, read 505,049 times
Quote:
Remember to create the Hebrew Canon, they selected from both the Hebrew and Koine Greek canons.
No, they did not, but I'd be more than a little interested in your source for this preposterous claim.

Quote:
You'll never understand unless you learn to read the Old Testament in Hebrew. You'll never understand the Koran until you own HaKoran.
I'm sorry, macneitspingal, but would it not be best for you to learn such basics as the meaning of b'nai mitzvah before presuming to instruct others on the importance of Hebrew?

And, by the way, the preferred term is Tanakh, not 'Old Testament.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism