Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Which comment are you talking about? I don't see where theflipflop committed L''H. I'm sure he's read Chofetz Chaim so he wouldn't be slandering other Jews.
The site is nonsectarian as it carries information only. By stating its Christian and the ramble that follows fall into the gray area of L"H.

FYI, per the TOS if you are going to use Hebrew/Yiddish words please place in parenthesis the translation for other C-D posters to understand your comments.

For C-Drs: Chofetz Chaim is a book from the late 1800s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chofetz_Chaim

FWIW TFF should not be slandering anyone even if they are not Jews.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The site is nonsectarian as it carries information only. By stating its Christian and the ramble that follows fall into the gray area of L"H.

FYI, per the TOS if you are going to use Hebrew/Yiddish words please place in parenthesis the translation for other C-D posters to understand your comments.

For C-Drs: Chofetz Chaim is a book from the late 1800s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chofetz_Chaim

FWIW TFF should not be slandering anyone even if they are not Jews.
FWIW, I'm beginning to feel attacked by your accusations of lashen hara, when clearly you have not even stated which Jew I committed it against. And there is no halacha that procludes lashen hara against a non-Jew, but I can't see where that has happened here either. You need to knock off your unfounded accusations right now.

And with regards to Hebrew and Yiddish words, this forum has a chazaka (and established pattern) of allowing such speech patterns, since they are intrinsic to the forum's very nature of being a Jewish forum. The moderatoes of this forum have been clear in the past that we have some flexibility in not having to translate every non English word we use in our posts. Were we to have to do so, it would become unnecessarily prohibitive.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
FWIW, I'm beginning to feel attacked by your accusations of lashen hara, when clearly you have not even stated which Jew I committed it against. And there is no halacha that procludes lashen hara against a non-Jew, but I can't see where that has happened here either. You need to knock off your unfounded accusations right now.

And with regards to Hebrew and Yiddish words, this forum has a chazaka (and established pattern) of allowing such speech patterns, since they are intrinsic to the forum's very nature of being a Jewish forum. The moderatoes of this forum have been clear in the past that we have some flexibility in not having to translate every non English word we use in our posts. Were we to have to do so, it would become unnecessarily prohibitive.
Not naming the person does not release you from L"H. You slandered a person as a "taker" yet you don't know him personally. That in itself falls into the gray area of personal attacks per the TOS.

Why do you think this sub-forum should have special consideration for using non English words, yet on the Islam sub-forum none are used?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 AM

This is a thread about posting on Shabbos. If you would like to discuss the halachos of lashen hara, I suggest you create a new thread.

FYI folks, in case any of you are not aware, tonight begins the holiday of Shavous, where we Jews celebrate matan Torah (the giving of the Torah). In actuality, what happened historicaly on this date is the Jews heard the haceros hadibros (the 10 utterances) - Hashem speaking directly to the Jewish nation.

Since the laws of yom tov are nearly identical to those of Shabbos, I would ask that we all refrain from posting on this forum from tonight at sundown until Thursday night at sundown. Thanks in advance to all of you who will join me in this request.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
This is a thread about posting on Shabbos. If you would like to discuss the halachos of lashen hara, I suggest you create a new thread.

Then this thread should have ended in October when it was in the early 30's. You made statements then and they carry on still now. Don't scapegoat others for your own misdeeds.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:
Since the laws of yom tov are nearly identical to those of Shabbos, I would ask that we all refrain from posting on this forum from tonight at sundown until Thursday night at sundown. Thanks in advance to all of you who will join me in this request.
I'm with you.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:

No its not. The only things prescribed is not doing work during it, reading the Torah from sundown to sunup, reading the Book of Ruth and eating dairy.

BTW Outside of Eretz Yisrael it is two days and not one.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No its not. The only things prescribed is not doing work during it, reading the Torah from sundown to sunup, reading the Book of Ruth and eating dairy.

BTW Outside of Eretz Yisrael it is two days and not one.
"not doing work" - Better described as not doing malacha, which includes writing, manipulating electricity, driving, etc. Almost identical to Shabbos. The only major differences are the ability to cook (with a static flame) and no eruv issues.

"reading the Torah from sundown to sunup, reading the Book of Ruth and eating dairy" - none of these are proscribed activity on Shavous. They are all minhagim (customs).

Should one live in a land where yom tov sheini (two days of yom tov) is not observed, like eretz yisroel, then clearly that person has no obligation the refrain from posting on the second day of yom tov. But in the US, it's a Torah obligation incumbant upon all Jews, no matter their level of Torah observance.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
It's a dispute among the poskim if a born Jew who espouses anti-Torah ideals can consider himself a Jew or not. Because it's a makloikes, I used the softer term "risk" instead of saying they are "davka" not Jewish. I'm trying to be respectful to any Jewish apostates who may post in this forum.
The poskim may be your ultimate authority, they are not, however, the authority for all Jews - and even you say that it's a dispute among the poskim.

If you are concerned, as you have expressed in earlier posts, that in future generations our children's children will not be Jewish, declaring Jews who do not espouse your exact understandings to be non-Jews (as opposed to "bad" Jews) will likely not help.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:

Yes there is a TOS that prohibits the use of non-English. However I am very sensitive to the fact this is a thread about Judaism words and there are terms/words unique to Judaism that are an integral part of many who call themselves Jews.

It would not be a Judaic forum if some degree of Hebrew and Yiddish were not allowed.

I am starting a sticky thread called "Hebrew and Yiddish Judaic phrases" Please help me with this task. Read the thread and you will see were you can help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism