Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Depends. I'm not so interested in my kids getting too much secular influence in their lives. Of course, this limits them from spending too much time with about 85% of the Jews out there as well, so it's not specifically a non-Jewish thing.
We're obviously at different stages/levels of observance in our Judaism, but I'd feel much better overall having my kids play with any secular Jews than Christian kids, who in my experince have been prostheltizing to my kids and telling them they're not going to heaven if they don't accept *their* beliefs, and wonder constantly why we go to "church" on Saturday vs. Sunday ("It's just weird!"). The Christian boys also hunt and kill birds for "fun". Even the most secular Jews are still Jews and don't tend to engage in behavior which break our code of ethics.

Of course, there are always exceptions.

Last edited by 1+1=5; 04-04-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,934 times
Quote:
Depends. I'm not so interested in my kids getting too much secular influence in their lives. Of course, this limits them from spending too much time with about 85% of the Jews out there as well, so it's not specifically a non-Jewish thing.
I know in your other thread you stated you were orthodox. Are you modern orthodox or ultra orthodox? Also, is it common in your level of observance to have arranged marriages?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,362,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I know in your other thread you stated you were orthodox. Are you modern orthodox or ultra orthodox? Also, is it common in your level of observance to have arranged marriages?
I'm just a plain old fashioned orthodox Yid. And I've never once heard of an arranged marriage. That's SO fourteenth century.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM

I guess I was referring more to Shidduch

Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I guess I was referring more to Shidduch
Shidduchim happen all the time in my "world," but that's FAR from an arranged marriage. It's more like an "arranged date." Nobody is forced into any marriage where both parties are not a million percent consenting. People have to be careful with their word choice, as words can appear very loaded. There's a big gap between an arranged date and an arranged marriage.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:16 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
As someone who briefly (in my childhood) was a Christian and never was a Jew, I have to say that I would feel it was an insult to say I was practicing in a way that honored the Jewish tradition. I honestly don't believe that if one wasn't raised in Judaism and/or hadn't practiced for a good, long time (we're talking in terms of years), that that person could say "My Christianity truly honors the Jews!"

I feel that lessens the amazing and very long tradition of Judaism. It's like going to Hawaii and putting on a lei and taking three hula lessons and then saying, "I'm proud to say I'm a real Hawaiian now!" That's just my personal take.

I also find it very, very weird when Christians "magnanimously" acknowledge, like, two or three Jewish traditions even though they've come to "superior" Christianity. What the...? Without Judaism there wouldn't be Christianity!

Again, just my personal take.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:02 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,916 times
JerZ - exactly.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
I'm just a plain old fashioned orthodox Yid. And I've never once heard of an arranged marriage. That's SO fourteenth century.

Im familiar with them among the hasidim - yes, the young people can turn down the match, but its much more than an arranged date. Exactly how much pressure there is to marry at that age, and to accept the suggested partner, will vary from family to family, from what i can see.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Ya that was my understanding as well

Old 04-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im familiar with them among the hasidim - yes, the young people can turn down the match, but its much more than an arranged date. Exactly how much pressure there is to marry at that age, and to accept the suggested partner, will vary from family to family, from what i can see.
It's likely a VERY small population of Jews for which this applies. The Chasidim are a sub population among orthodox Jews, and at that, there are varying sub populations within the sub populations. The inflammatory nature of highlighting something like this harms ALL Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism