Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardley View Post

Bad idea?
Not at all.

Quote:
What should I know about Judaism before I start that I'm not going to learn in a documentary or educational program?

Do you have any suggestions of videos or books I should look at to start with?
Juliet Bravo posted a great list of books; any rabbi you talk to will recommend LOTS more!

Quote:
Any advice at all?
Yes! 1.) Buy a bookcase to hold all your new books, and 2.) Don't be surprised if the rabbi(s) you approach are not wild about your interest in converting at first. Most reform rabbis don't make you do the dance since the conversion process itself is so lengthy and arduous that if you're not totally serious about it, you'll probably drop out anyway. Conservative rabbis may refuse to work with you at first, but it's a test. Ask again and again. They almost always relent. Orthodox rabbis will be much more difficult to persuade.

Judaism does not seek converts and we do not believe that someone must be Jewish in order to be good with g-d. Some reform congregations are embracing conversion outreach programs though. There's at least one synagogue in Dallas that is not actively seeking converts, but is extremely helpful if you approach them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Judaism does not seek converts and we do not believe that someone must be Jewish in order to be good with g-d.
First, welcome to the forum BigDGeek. Stick around - looks like you have lots of good stuff to add to this forum.

Second, your quote above is exactly correct.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM

191 posts, read 560,137 times
Talk to a rabbi at a synagogue or Temple in your area. Attend Friday night and or Saturday morning services.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Conservative rabbis may refuse to work with you at first, but it's a test. Ask again and again.
My impression is that most C rabbis will not refuse to work with a would be convert, but will consider a warning about the problems of antisemitism, the difficulties encountered by Jews by Choice, and the nature of halachic obligation, to be sufficient to meet their own halachic obligation to turn away converts.

That obligation probably has less historically to do with selecting for "people who truly have a Jewish neshama" than with avoiding infiltration by informants during Roman times. Note how in the amidah prayer we pray for righteous converts in close proximity to our prayer to ward off the designs of informants.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My impression is that most C rabbis will not refuse to work with a would be convert, but will consider a warning about the problems of antisemitism, the difficulties encountered by Jews by Choice, and the nature of halachic obligation, to be sufficient to meet their own halachic obligation to turn away converts.
I converted under a conservative rabbi, and he never formally turned me away. But did make a habit of ignoring my calls and he canceled our first three appointments.

He always seemed surprised when I called to rescheduled.

Even after I started workig with him, he would constantly ask if I was sure I really wanted to convert and we often discussed the potential hardships of being Jewish in a largely Christian society.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
I converted under a conservative rabbi, and he never formally turned me away. But did make a habit of ignoring my calls and he canceled our first three appointments.
That could have been in fulfillment of his obligations to "turn away".

Or he could just have been completely disorganized. It happens.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
That could have been in fulfillment of his obligations to "turn away".

Or he could just have been completely disorganized. It happens.
It definately does. And, after getting to know him, I'd say it was most likely his way of turning me away.
Even if he never did admit to it.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:19 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,529 times
Excuse me to intrude. I think this topic is interesting and I have a question. Why does Judaism not believe into converting people?
Please explain it in simple words so a noob like me can understand. What is it about the "Jewish law" that would scare converts away?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
Excuse me to intrude. I think this topic is interesting and I have a question. Why does Judaism not believe into converting people?
Please explain it in simple words so a noob like me can understand. What is it about the "Jewish law" that would scare converts away?
Actually, Judaism has always accepted converts and there are specific steps to complete the process. The difference between Judaism and proselytizing religions (such as Christianity) is that there isn't a requirement to be Jewish. We believe that Judaism is for Jews, and other groups have their own way of working towards God. Someone who chooses to convert to Judaism does so because we feel a connection with the Jewish people and the rituals and beliefs of their religion.

As for Jewish law, it is all encompassing. It dictates how and what we can eat, how we form relationships and treat others, how we act in public and private. A non-Jew who eats a cheeseburger or doesn't say a blessing before eating bread hasn't done anything wrong. But the Jew who does the same thing has.

And the convert accepts the responsibility of following the law and teaching it to their children. It becomes the foindation for how we live and how we interact with the world.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
Actually, Judaism has always accepted converts and there are specific steps to complete the process. The difference between Judaism and proselytizing religions (such as Christianity) is that there isn't a requirement to be Jewish. We believe that Judaism is for Jews, and other groups have their own way of working towards God. Someone who chooses to convert to Judaism does so because we feel a connection with the Jewish people and the rituals and beliefs of their religion.

As for Jewish law, it is all encompassing. It dictates how and what we can eat, how we form relationships and treat others, how we act in public and private. A non-Jew who eats a cheeseburger or doesn't say a blessing before eating bread hasn't done anything wrong. But the Jew who does the same thing has.

And the convert accepts the responsibility of following the law and teaching it to their children. It becomes the foindation for how we live and how we interact with the world.
Thank you for the explanation. It does not sound too bad to me. As a good Christian you should also follow certain rule. Most people today don't but that is their fault.

Same with some Jewish people I am sure. I had a Jewish coworker. He never said blessings and jumped from relationship to relationship. He also was not trustworthy. A bad example. I wish all people would live by the law of their religion.

I respect Jewish people lots and would love to visit a Synagogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism