Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times

Advertisements

The custom I grew up with, like many American Jews, is to light the shammas, start saying the blessing, and to light AS the blessing is said.

My Baal Tshuva Masorti child has reminded me that, as with any other mitzvah, you say the complete blessing first, and THEN you light.

Discuss.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 12-12-2012 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
As a Mizrahi we were taught to say it during the lighting.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,051 times
My first rabbi, an Israeli of Turkish descent, taught me to recite the blessing and then light candles.

And it's almost impossible to get my kids to actually wait until the blessings are done.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,152 times
We light the Shamash, then say the blessing, then light the candles. I'm no expert, though. I think I read that on Aish. com

Do you all use oil? I am thinking of doing that next year.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
We light the Shamash, then say the blessing, then light the candles. I'm no expert, though. I think I read that on Aish. com

In general, one has not fulfilled their obligation if they light with candles. The most likely issue is that candles do not burn long enough. It is WAY more preferableto light with oil. Just remember, when Chanukah is over, if there is any leftover oil, the oil is kaddosh (holy), so the only way to despose of it is to burn it.

1+1: it's not too late to improvise and light with oil tonight and for the remaining nights. Just get some glass cups, put some water and olive oil in it (they will separate and the oil will float to the top) and get some wicks from the local arts/crafts store, and boom, you're off to the races...

Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
In general, one has not fulfilled their obligation if they light with candles. The most likely issue is that candles do not burn long enough.
My understanding is that this is only an issue on shabbat, since the lights must still be lit one half hour after sundown, which, since lighting on friday night must occur before shabbat begins, means they must burn longer than one half hour. Standard small candles will not burn that long.

However the fancier long candles that are now widely available will burn somewhat longer, and freezing them will make them burn more slowly.

On nights other than erev shabbat, many have the minhag to light promptly at nightfall - but IIUC that is not halachically required.

I note that Chabad, which always uses oil for their own chanukkiot, regularly hands out boxes of small candles as part of encouragement to people to keep the mitzvah.

(obviously there are many Jews who light chanukkah lights who are not shomer shabbat - however one would usually not want to encourage the observance of a mitzvah in a way that violates shabbat)

Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
This linik below has some nice info on the halachos of Chanukah, specifically as it relates to women:

The Custom for Women to Abstain from Melacha » Matzav.com - The Online Voice of Torah Jewry

Quote:
The Shulchan Aruch (O.C. 670:1) mentions the custom of women abstaining from doing melacha while the lights of the menorah are burning.

The Taz (O.C. 670:2) says that the custom for women to abstain from doing melacha on Chanuka is similar to their custom of abstaining from melacha on Rosh Chodesh. The basis for the custom on Rosh Chodesh is that since the women did not participate in the sin of the Golden Calf and refused to donate their jewelry for it, they were rewarded with the Yom Tov of Rosh Chodesh. Similarly, since the miracle of Chanuka was brought about through the heroic actions of a woman, it is a worthy custom for women to commemorate this by abstaining from melacha, just like on Rosh Chodesh. Accordingly, this custom only applies to women.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:20 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post

Nahhh. We use a YouTube video for each night.

Chanuka, Oh Chanukah! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism