Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,725,981 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

A friend gave me a compliment on my house, and then mentioned it's a mitzvah to keep it so clean. Is this just a figure of speech, or is it really a mitzvah to maintain a pleasant environment for others? I didn't see anything like this on the 613 mitzvot I read. I do notice, though, every time I go to a Jewish friend's home, we seem to take particular care to have everything just right in our homes when we can. The practice is not limited to Judaism, of course, but there is a subtle difference I've noticed in culture.

Sorry for the odd (notice, I didn't say stupid, because I'll get lectures that there is no stupid question ) question.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,344,941 times
I'm not aware of any mitzvah to keep one's house clean. However, a Jewish husband has an obligation (you'll see this often written directly into a kosher Ketubah when two orthodox Jews get married) to ensure his wife is not overwhelmed by the cleaning of the house, and often times this means he has an obligation to purchase a "cleaning person" to help his wife get the house clean.

With a large families, this often manifests itself in the husband either pitching in himself and taking some of the house cleaning burden, or forking out the cash for the cleaning person - no matter how tight dollars are. In my own case, I do significantly more than 50% of the house cleaning, and my wife takes a leading position on raising the children properly and cooking (that is our deal - we both like this arrangement. She cooks and I clean). We also have a once-a-week cleaning lady.

I suspect in more secularized Jewish homes, there are simply less children to mess up the homes, and therefore it's easier to keep the house clean. Once you get past 5 or 6 kids, it's a never-ending battle to keep cheerios off the floor, stains off the carpet and you know what off the toilet rims... Nice trade-off, IMO, for the delight that a large family can bring the parents.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I think the term "mitzvah" gets used a lot, leaving the newly Jewish a bit confused at times.

Sounds like you have a great arrangement in your home.

When your kids are older, it's so much easier to keep things clean. I think younger children are always better off in a more "lived in" home that is real, and full of love, than a place that is clean but no one is comfortable in. I've been in both, and much prefer the former.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Hi all,

A friend gave me a compliment on my house, and then mentioned it's a mitzvah to keep it so clean. Is this just a figure of speech, or is it really a mitzvah to maintain a pleasant environment for others? I didn't see anything like this on the 613 mitzvot I read. I do notice, though, every time I go to a Jewish friend's home, we seem to take particular care to have everything just right in our homes when we can. The practice is not limited to Judaism, of course, but there is a subtle difference I've noticed in culture.

Sorry for the odd (notice, I didn't say stupid, because I'll get lectures that there is no stupid question ) question.

Thank you!
depending on the speaker the person could be using it in the more colloquial sense of "its a good deed" rather than something explicitly mandated by halacha. Though my sense is that the common usage, even by secular jews or those who do not follow halacha as a system, is for the kinds of good deeds that DO overlap with halacha, and with aggadic ethics. "You helped that blind man find his way on the subway, what a mitzvah!" Using it for a clean house - an accomplishment, something to be proud of - but a mitzvah? A MORALLY or ethically worthy act (again, when not used in its halachic sense)? Odd.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,611,948 times
Deuteronomy 23:14

14 Keep your camp ritually clean, because the Lord your God is with you in your camp to protect you and to give you victory over your enemies. Do not do anything indecent that would cause the Lord to turn his back on you.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 AM

Thanks, all.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,123,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
depending on the speaker the person could be using it in the more colloquial sense of "its a good deed" rather than something explicitly mandated by halacha. Though my sense is that the common usage, even by secular jews or those who do not follow halacha as a system, is for the kinds of good deeds that DO overlap with halacha, and with aggadic ethics. "You helped that blind man find his way on the subway, what a mitzvah!" Using it for a clean house - an accomplishment, something to be proud of - but a mitzvah? A MORALLY or ethically worthy act (again, when not used in its halachic sense)? Odd.
One of my bubbies would call everything I did to help around the house a mitzvah. "You put your clothes away, what a mitzvah!" "You helped mom in the kitchen, what a mitzvah!"

Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
One of my bubbies would call everything I did to help around the house a mitzvah. "You put your clothes away, what a mitzvah!" "You helped mom in the kitchen, what a mitzvah!"
Aw, she sounds cute.

Spending more time with this lady, I now see she is the same way. My kids were washing their hands in the temple bathroom and she told them to use more soap. The kids later said they thought she'd say it was a mitzvah to use lots of soap. She likes things really, really clean.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 AM

67 posts, read 81,933 times
My question is how many of the 613 mitzvah are still followed?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlonemillion View Post
My question is how many of the 613 mitzvah are still followed?
As many as we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism