Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 AM

5,340 posts, read 5,067,614 times

Advertisements

For the Jews here, would you live in Israel/Palestine if you had the means/opportunity to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 AM

15,830 posts, read 21,340,569 times
I would make Aliyah in a second if I had a job waiting for me that promoted peace between Israel and Palestine. My dream job would be working in environmental health/water issues as an advocate for the Palestinian people. But to do anything other than full-time work to make things better? No interest.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,629,268 times
Since I have a different perspective then most on C-D, I have no issue with visiting Israel twice a year (Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur and then Pesach) since I work primarily in the Arab regions (Live in US) then "No" I would not live in Israel. The Israel of today is not the Israel of the 70's. Most that make Aliyah now are either the religious who primarily end up in the settlements with subsidized housing living in communities similar to themselves or are youths who come with the vision of the Israel of the past, go into military service where the rose colored glasses come off and many of them return to the countries they emigrated from. Having the means makes living there easier but living within the system based on the British model does not. Most of the expenses of living there would make a NYr cringe at the sight of seeing prices so high that would make them think living in NY is cheap and never complain ever again about spending hours at a gov't office in the US.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,346,694 times
By living in Palestine, I assume you mean Gaza or portions of the West Bank? My friend, those areas have been ethnically cleansed of their Jews by the Arabs living there. To go into those areas would be my death sentence. I wanna live!

If you meant make aliya to Eretz Yisroel. I'm not terribly interested in that at this time in my life. But I would hope some of my kids will go there to sit and learn in Yeshiva or Beis Yaakov one day, to at least get the amazing experience of living with a bunch of religious Jews who are very similar to themselves.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,726,786 times
No.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM

938 posts, read 1,510,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Most of the expenses of living there would make a NYr cringe at the sight of seeing prices so high that would make them think living in NY is cheap and never complain ever again about spending hours at a gov't office in the US.
If you're trying to raise Jewish children and live a Jewish life then Israel is MUCH cheaper. Do you know how much day school tuition for 2 kids costs? Living in Israel means that most food is kosher, your kids will speak Hebrew, and you can attend synagogue (albeit only Orthodox) for free and not have to worry about paying thousands of dollars in dues. And you don't have to worry about your kids marrying Christians, though there's a chance they may marry a Muslim.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
If you're trying to raise Jewish children and live a Jewish life then Israel is MUCH cheaper. Do you know how much day school tuition for 2 kids costs? Living in Israel means that most food is kosher, your kids will speak Hebrew, and you can attend synagogue (albeit only Orthodox) for free and not have to worry about paying thousands of dollars in dues. And you don't have to worry about your kids marrying Christians, though there's a chance they may marry a Muslim.
Most of the Jews live a secular life. Secular public school there is the same as in the US except the primary language is Hebrew and the secondary is English. The secular schools are not yeshivas. I'm usually in Israel for about six weeks out of the year. I have use on an apartment, a car and I shop there. I know the cost of living there. I go to a synagogue in Hod Hasharon and I can tell you there is no way these people are remotely Orthodox. The US has dues and Israel has suggested donations. As per the OP, the OP asked if one had the means/profession. With my LLC all I need is a computer and I could run it from anywhere and I still wouldn't want to live there FT.

I do understand your thoughts, and the wish to be around fellow Jews. But they are as rude as far west enders are in Richmond.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
By living in Palestine, I assume you mean Gaza or portions of the West Bank? My friend, those areas have been ethnically cleansed of their Jews by the Arabs living there. To go into those areas would be my death sentence. I wanna live!

I've driven through numerous areas in Judea/Samaria and as long as you stay away from the areas where the settlers are near Arab villages you're pretty safe. Even if you take the WB as a whole, there are very few incidents that actually occur. Its more media created than reality created. So you know the settlers are not innocent in every situation. They incite violence also.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:00 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,027,067 times
I wouldn't want to live there~! They are always fighting and can't live in peace. You just don't know when you will get caught up in the cross-fire~!

Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,874,015 times
No, not even in Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism