U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,282,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
You don't need to be there to see what happened... I told you what happened. Nobody said that I asked for prayers, and I go to church for prayers. America is not the Middle East, so you cannot compare it.

I'm mad and disappointed that they called a police and send him to my house after I turned my back from them and our nice conversation.

Another possibility to look at. There is a possibility they did not call the police. You said you had a cross hanging in your car. Someone from homeland security could have seen the cross. Got suspicious that you might be some kind of Radical, took your license number and called the police.

Thinking about it, it would be rare for any police to take much interest in a call from a synagogue unless the person was still in it or there was an allegation the person did some damage.

If I parked my car, with a Kalimath hanging from the mirror, in front of a Synagogue or even some Churches I would not be surprised if I got a visit from the police. I would not even think the call came from someone in the Synagogue or Church. My first thought would be Homeland Security.

A question: Has there been any vandalism of Synagogues in the state you live in? Synagogues are often targeted for vandalism by Neo-Nazi and KKK type groups, both of which seem to take pride in displaying crosses.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 PM

797 posts, read 977,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Another possibility to look at. There is a possibility they did not call the police. You said you had a cross hanging in your car. Someone from homeland security could have seen the cross. Got suspicious that you might be some kind of Radical, took your license number and called the police.

Thinking about it, it would be rare for any police to take much interest in a call from a synagogue unless the person was still in it or there was an allegation the person did some damage.

If I parked my car, with a Kalimath hanging from the mirror, in front of a Synagogue or even some Churches I would not be surprised if I got a visit from the police. I would not even think the call came from someone in the Synagogue or Church. My first thought would be Homeland Security.

A question: Has there been any vandalism of Synagogues in the state you live in? Synagogues are often targeted for vandalism by Neo-Nazi and KKK type groups, both of which seem to take pride in displaying crosses.
The police told me that they got my license plate number and felt uncomfortable. Yes, several synagogues were vandalized in my area few years ago. The victim was not Christian.
Somebody cut the fingers of Virgin Mary statue last year at our church, and we did not call the police. We prayed and forgive those who did it.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,432,423 times
It's unfortunate that you were judged unfairly based on fear. It happens all of the time and it really is unfortunate. I hope you get your school project done and you can move on now. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM

797 posts, read 977,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
It's unfortunate that you were judged unfairly based on fear. It happens all of the time and it really is unfortunate. I hope you get your school project done and you can move on now. Good luck!
Thank you. I needed some pictures but did not have chance to take one.

Last thing; If they were suspicious about me, why did they talk with me outside for 30 min and did not call the police while I was there? Also those who attack synagogues do not go in and talk with anybody.. They attack without shoving their face.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM

12,023 posts, read 16,765,337 times
For one, I am Jewish - complete with a Star of David around my neck at basically all times - and I would not be able to get into any local synagogue on the High Holy Days without a ticket. I might have a chance at one of the local university's services - maybe. Tickets locally are over $100 a seat, but I have gotten fee reductions in the past for financial need. Still, the tickets situation has absolutely, 100% nothing to do with your faith. You could have been the Mossiach himself and you still would have needed a ticket. :P

On the rest - I really don't know what to say. So much of it has to do with presentation. There are some Christians I am completely comfortable discussing religion with and bringing with me to services/Jewish events, but there are others who would make me uncomfortable. Also, even if the people who were out in the lobby were not actively praying, bringing you into the sanctuary could be disruptive.

In the future, just give a call or email. To me, it seems incredibly strange to come visit for a school project without reaching out to leadership first. That would throw up all kinds of red flags for me personally, especially if combined with an attitude that could make me uncomfortable (not saying you were - but "being friendly" can mean a range of things and come across in many ways!). Even as a Jew myself, I always ALWAYS reach out to the rabbi or other leadership of the synagogues I have visited to worship in unless I am being accompanied by a member. A place of worship is both very public and also very personal and for me, it feels very forward to step in unannounced. My parents and grandparents are the same way. I do not think most Christians see their places of worship in the same way, which could be why you are so confused.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Last thing; If they were suspicious about me, why did they talk with me outside for 30 min and did not call the police while I was there? Also those who attack synagogues do not go in and talk with anybody.. They attack without shoving their face.
I don't know. Sorry this happened to you. If you live as a Jew, you would understand more. That's all I can tell you. I was a gentile once, and there is a world of difference of what we face every single day.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
For one, I am Jewish - complete with a Star of David around my neck at basically all times - and I would not be able to get into any local synagogue on the High Holy Days without a ticket. I might have a chance at one of the local university's services - maybe. Tickets locally are over $100 a seat, but I have gotten fee reductions in the past for financial need. Still, the tickets situation has absolutely, 100% nothing to do with your faith. You could have been the Mossiach himself and you still would have needed a ticket. :P
I have to state my experience on the ticket situation. I have never once been asked for money for a ticket, but I've only attended 4 synagogues. All of mine just wanted my name and purpose for visiting. They were all free. The last time, now I'm a member of the synagogue, but when I was new to town they mailed me the tickets without any mention of money.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:

You say "they" as if the whole synagogue were in cahoots. I'm certain that it wasn't the Russian couple who called the police. It was probably busybody Yenta sitting in her car looking for a specific type of geriatric trouble.

I must have missed the part about photographs before. That absolutely would make me consider calling the police if you had not called in advance. It's one thing to photograph historic synagogues, but not during services. If a stranger walked into one of the run-of-the-mill, 1980s style architecture synagogues that I have been a part of with a camera, I would find that very worrisome. Particularly after the events of the past 2 weeks (where two Jewish/Jewish-affiliated universities were put under lockdown in Boston, with increased protective presence at most major synagogues in the region).

Old 04-28-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't they accept pictures of the outside of the temple? As a former professor, I would never require any of my students to take pictures on the inside of a religious institution. I might require a lengthy, well-thought out paper detailing your impressions or comparison of religion, however. That would be a much more useful learning experience.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I have to state my experience on the ticket situation. I have never once been asked for money for a ticket, but I've only attended 4 synagogues. All of mine just wanted my name and purpose for visiting. They were all free. The last time, now I'm a member of the synagogue, but when I was new to town they mailed me the tickets without any mention of money.
It is partially a regional thing, I think. Not sure where in the South you are, but the local synagogue that recently opened in my parents' area of the deep South does not charge for tickets because the population is smaller. Now living in Boston, there is simply not enough room if all of the synagogues maxed out their capacity for all of the Jews who would be interested if it was free. By charging a fee, the synagogues are able to get service attendees who are demonstrably committed (either financially or reaching out despite financial need) to the congregation.

I do believe at least some of the synagogues give tickets for free to members of the synagogue and only charge non-members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or