U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM

8,816 posts, read 10,725,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Tribe affiliation follows the father but if your father is not Jewish then I'm not sure. You're probably Ashkenazi.

It is very hard to find non-Ashkenazi communities in the U.S. and the UK so you might as well start reducing your non-potato vegetable intake now.

technically we call that minhag affilliation. by tribe, we are all either Judah or Levi, these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I don't mean to discount others here, but I would suggest you ask your local Orthodox rabbi, not just any rabbi. If your goal is to be universally accepted as Jewish, it won't help much to ask a Reform or Conservative rabbi.

That will not come over well to my fellow posters here, but I give you the brutal honesty in order that you follow the correct path.

To be brutally honest, modern O conversion is no guarantee either.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,348,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
To be brutally honest, modern O conversion is no guarantee either.
For what it's worth, there's an Orthodox Beis Din (one M.O. rabbi, one Israeli Sephardi rabbi and one other I don't know so well) in my town that was just "fired" by the RCA, and they are no longer able to perform universally accepted conversions any more. Truth is, it's not easy to convert to Judaism and have everybody accept your conversion as valid.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM

111 posts, read 133,158 times
Quote:
For what it's worth, there's an Orthodox Beis Din (one M.O. rabbi, one Israeli Sephardi rabbi and one other I don't know so well) in my town that was just "fired" by the RCA, and they are no longer able to perform universally accepted conversions any more. Truth is, it's not easy to convert to Judaism and have everybody accept your conversion as valid.
Will the italian documentation be satisfactory?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:03 PM

864 posts, read 734,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
Will the italian documentation be satisfactory?
It's highly unlikely that Italian documentation would be proof of Jewishness. An orthodox Rabbi who meets you in person is the best person to ask. Beware of anybody who charges money. If you tell us where you live, we might be able to help you.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Im not sure even an RCA accepted conversion would be accepted by all the Israeli haredim. but they may have more pressing concerns right now http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/1308...ultra-orthodox

Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,348,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
but they may have more pressing concerns right now http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/1308...ultra-orthodox
It must be so frustrating to live in the land where the Shechinah once resided, where the Beis Hamigdosh once stood, where the kosel remains - and have to put up with that fool Yair Lapid.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
It's highly unlikely that Italian documentation would be proof of Jewishness. An orthodox Rabbi who meets you in person is the best person to ask. Beware of anybody who charges money. If you tell us where you live, we might be able to help you.
The documentation lists my parents ethnicity as ebreos or jewish. I live in London

Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM

864 posts, read 734,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
The documentation lists my parents ethnicity as ebreos or jewish. I live in London
London has a large Jewish population. Do you have an orthodox Jewish acquaintance--a neighbors, colleague, or shopkeeper you'd feel comfortable talking to? The answer is probably no, since you've posted your question online, but I ask anyway.

A local chabad house is a good place to start. I'm sure there's one in London.

What is your goal, at this point? Are you just researching genealogy, or are you interested in reconnecting?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
London has a large Jewish population. Do you have an orthodox Jewish acquaintance--a neighbors, colleague, or shopkeeper you'd feel comfortable talking to? The answer is probably no, since you've posted your question online, but I ask anyway.

A local chabad house is a good place to start. I'm sure there's one in London.

What is your goal, at this point? Are you just researching genealogy, or are you interested in reconnecting?
I've always felt a strong affinity towards judaism so reconnection I guess. We live in quite an antimsemitic area actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism