U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM
 
864 posts, read 733,607 times
Reputation: 251

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
I've always felt a strong affinity towards Judaism so reconnection I guess. We live in quite an antimsemitic area actually
You can't be too far from a Jewish area where you can begin visiting and/or shopping, familiarizing yourself with the customs of Jewish people. Judaism, Torah and Jewish Info - Chabad Lubavitch is a great website for beginners. (I am not lubavitch, but still think it's a good site). One thing will need to another.

Rule of thumb: the stronger your knowledge of what Judaism is or isn't, the less likely you are to fall prey to charlatans. Hatzlocha Rabah.

Just keep an open mind. It might be determined by those who review your genealogy and are well versed in the laws of conversion that you aren't Jewish at all, at which point reconnection is not possible, only conversion, which is another topic entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 AM
 
111 posts, read 133,024 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
You can't be too far from a Jewish area where you can begin visiting and/or shopping, familiarizing yourself with the customs of Jewish people. Judaism, Torah and Jewish Info - Chabad Lubavitch is a great website for beginners. (I am not lubavitch, but still think it's a good site). One thing will need to another.

Rule of thumb: the stronger your knowledge of what Judaism is or isn't, the less likely you are to fall prey to charlatans. Hatzlocha Rabah.

Just keep an open mind. It might be determined by those who review your genealogy and are well versed in the laws of conversion that you aren't Jewish at all, at which point reconnection is not possible, only conversion, which is another topic entirely.
Cousins of mine have converted without a hitch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM
 
111 posts, read 133,024 times
Reputation: 18
Does this seem to be a good indication?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM
 
864 posts, read 733,607 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
Does this seem to be a good indication?
Indication of what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
 
111 posts, read 133,024 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Indication of what?
A successful conversion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 03:36 PM
 
864 posts, read 733,607 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
A successful conversion
We know neither your cousins nor the details of their conversion, so opining about either would be senseless. A hitch-free conversion (whatever that means), on the other hand, doesn't ring plausible. That's why the best advice anybody here can give you is to contact a local orthodox Rabbi for guidance. In London this should not be hard to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM
 
111 posts, read 133,024 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
We know neither your cousins nor the details of their conversion, so opining about either would be senseless. A hitch-free conversion (whatever that means), on the other hand, doesn't ring plausible. That's why the best advice anybody here can give you is to contact a local orthodox Rabbi for guidance. In London this should not be hard to do.
Thanks for your detailed advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Reputation: 39865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
But she converted to catholicism before I was born. What type of jew are you?
"Jewish" is a race and a religion.

You are of Jewish heritage and are therefore Jewish.

However, your religion is Catholic so you are not a practicing or religious Jew.

If you wanted to be considered Jewish in race and religion all you have to do is see a Rabbi and begin instruction on learning about your new religion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
 
111 posts, read 133,024 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
"Jewish" is a race and a religion.

You are of Jewish heritage and are therefore Jewish.

However, your religion is Catholic so you are not a practicing or religious Jew.

If you wanted to be considered Jewish in race and religion all you have to do is see a Rabbi and begin instruction on learning about your new religion

Do I need documentation? And besides I'm scared that I won't fin in physically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 PM
 
864 posts, read 733,607 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
Do I need documentation? And besides I'm scared that I won't fin in physically
You'd need to speak with an orthodox Rabbi. He'll be able to tell you what is the halachic protocol to establishing Jewishness. Jews come in all shapes, sizes and color. So why wouldn't you fit in physically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top