U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:23 PM

111 posts, read 133,152 times

Advertisements

What do israelis look like then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,434,688 times
Please permit me to say that I believe this conversation is going nowhere.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM

864 posts, read 734,210 times
[quote=bellr098;29391688]Thanks, I used to live near a jewish area called Stanford hill which has a large hasidic population. When passing a lot of people would argue with me in Yiddish roughly translated they would ask why I wasn't dressed properly? They also used to speak yiddish to my siblings in an equally confrontational manner. /quote]

Rubbish!

Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 PM

10,554 posts, read 15,639,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
My parents moved to Italy from the UK during the 1920's. Me and my siblings were raised as Catholic however when we got older our parents revealed facts about their life in Italy. Simply put they used to be Jewish. My father was born to Sephardi Jews who converted to Catholicism although they retained some traditions such as his name Raffaele which was originally Reafeli which is Hebrew. My mother's story is more nuanced; her father was an Italian catholic of Jewish origin going back to forced conversions by the Inquistion whilst her mother was an Austrian Jew with the surname Fischer which is a common jewish name. Both my parents concealed this in Italy by adopting new surnames. When they moved to England they were nicknamed Ebreos (italian for jews) by their fellow immigrants.And we lived near Golders Green a heavily Jewish populated area so unsurprisingly we used to visit quite often. When me and my sister went shopping there people used to speak to us in Yiddish and when we responded in English they always used to be so shocked and say "But you look really Jewish!" To be fair we all have the stereotypical looks that people ascribe to Jews; big noses, large foreheads, etc so its not really shocking for people to think so. Even to this day in both Italy and England Jews speak to me in Hebrew or Yiddish. However, am I actually Jewish?It seems so tenuous to call myself Jewish. I'm grateful for any of your views

Jewish or Jew? Jewish can be full blood Negro and be Jewish, as in Jewish religion follower.
Jew can be only person born to a Jew mother. They used to claim it by the paternal blood line, but changed it to maternal blood line.
Thing is, blood has imperative impact here. It is a long and very philosophical discussion, beyond this thread, but ethnicity and much much more, comes with blood. This is why pharaohs used to merry only to their sisters. This is why it is very common amongst Jews to interbreed only. It is question of blood preservation.
This is why owners of most of the world, London Rothschilds, keep their business ONLY withing their close blood line.
So, who was your mother? If she was a Jew, you are a Jew. If she was not - you are not.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 PM

939 posts, read 1,262,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Baloney. Maybe in your world, not in mine.
How would you know? Are you a Jew of Color? Listen, I despise racism and especially racism in the Jewish community but I'm not going to close my eyes and pretend it doesn't exist. Having non-White active members of the synagogue doesn't mean that they feel 100% accepted as Jews all the time. My mom is Ashkenazi but my dad is Vietnamese-Canadian and I get the "you don't look Jewish" line all the time, and people think it's a joke when they say it, well they're not the ones getting denied an aliyah at Orthodox synagogues they visit.

My comment about looking "Jewish" but not Israeli is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. I'm making fun of the harmful stereotypes that both non-Jews and Jews, even religious and Zionist ones who should know better, have about what a Jewish person is supposed to look like. For example, two actors: Jason Biggs (the guy in American Pie) looks "Jewish" while Brian George (plays angry Indian guy on Seinfeld) does not. Yet Jason Biggs is 0% Jewish while Brian George is 100% ethnically Jewish on both sides (not sure if he practices Judaism) and was in fact born in Israel.

If other Jews agree with what I'm saying but think that what I've posted is a chillul hashem, feel free to PM me and I'll ask for my posts in this thread to be deleted.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 AM

[quote=iwishiwerethin;29398049]
Quote:
Thanks, I used to live near a jewish area called Stanford hill which has a large hasidic population. When passing a lot of people would argue with me in Yiddish roughly translated they would ask why I wasn't dressed properly? They also used to speak yiddish to my siblings in an equally confrontational manner. /quote]

Rubbish!
how?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,434,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
How would you know? Are you a Jew of Color? Listen, I despise racism and especially racism in the Jewish community but I'm not going to close my eyes and pretend it doesn't exist. Having non-White active members of the synagogue doesn't mean that they feel 100% accepted as Jews all the time. My mom is Ashkenazi but my dad is Vietnamese-Canadian and I get the "you don't look Jewish" line all the time, and people think it's a joke when they say it, well they're not the ones getting denied an aliyah at Orthodox synagogues they visit.

My comment about looking "Jewish" but not Israeli is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. I'm making fun of the harmful stereotypes that both non-Jews and Jews, even religious and Zionist ones who should know better, have about what a Jewish person is supposed to look like. For example, two actors: Jason Biggs (the guy in American Pie) looks "Jewish" while Brian George (plays angry Indian guy on Seinfeld) does not. Yet Jason Biggs is 0% Jewish while Brian George is 100% ethnically Jewish on both sides (not sure if he practices Judaism) and was in fact born in Israel.

If other Jews agree with what I'm saying but think that what I've posted is a chillul hashem, feel free to PM me and I'll ask for my posts in this thread to be deleted.
I took your statement the wrong way, based on my own stereotypes. Pleace accept my apology. I assumed (wrongfully) that you were a "traditional" Jew that didn't accept others based on what they look like. I admit I've seen the same reaction to African-American Jews in our synagogue at times, and I am very verbal when I hear of negative talk. It's not always talk, though, it's just a look sometimes, or a failure to get to know or welcome someone that looks different.

My son is adopted, and he is Central American/Indian and black. We are raising him as a Jew. I'm happy to report that we have been fully accepted, but you never know what it will be like when he grows up, I realize.

If any Jew was denied an aliyah, I'd be beyond upset.

Last edited by 1+1=5; 05-03-2013 at 07:59 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM

8,816 posts, read 10,722,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Like "universally-accepted conversions" and "a Jew is a Jew, there are no labels", the myth of Jews of all races and appearances being able to "fit in" is true in theory, but not in practice.

while I dont want to speak for Jews of color, I think its true that communities do vary in their approach. While I would be reluctant to deny that color prejudices exist even in a community like my own that I think IS welcoming, I would be hesitant to speak of communities ive never been a part of.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM

8,816 posts, read 10,722,515 times
Quote:
What do israelis look like then?

natalie portman.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
natalie portman.
do you think we could pass of as israeli?

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps587abed2.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...pse617e579.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps83008fc2.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3cf21873.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9e695b3c.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psff53ae2d.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps96b7acb7.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism