U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 AM

578 posts, read 756,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
My parents moved to Italy from the UK during the 1920's. Me and my siblings were raised as Catholic however when we got older our parents revealed facts about their life in Italy. Simply put they used to be Jewish. My father was born to Sephardi Jews who converted to Catholicism although they retained some traditions such as his name Raffaele which was originally Reafeli which is Hebrew. My mother's story is more nuanced; her father was an Italian catholic of Jewish origin going back to forced conversions by the Inquistion whilst her mother was an Austrian Jew with the surname Fischer which is a common jewish name. Both my parents concealed this in Italy by adopting new surnames. When they moved to England they were nicknamed Ebreos (italian for jews) by their fellow immigrants.And we lived near Golders Green a heavily Jewish populated area so unsurprisingly we used to visit quite often. When me and my sister went shopping there people used to speak to us in Yiddish and when we responded in English they always used to be so shocked and say "But you look really Jewish!" To be fair we all have the stereotypical looks that people ascribe to Jews; big noses, large foreheads, etc so its not really shocking for people to think so. Even to this day in both Italy and England Jews speak to me in Hebrew or Yiddish. However, am I actually Jewish?It seems so tenuous to call myself Jewish. I'm grateful for any of your views
Have they ever spoke to you in Ladino before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 AM

27,970 posts, read 15,053,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
Thanks, I used to live near a jewish area called Stanford hill which has a large hasidic population. When passing a lot of people would argue with me in Yiddish roughly translated they would ask why I wasn't dressed properly? They also used to speak yiddish to my siblings in an equally confrontational manner. The irony is I feel i look more sephardic whilst my siblings look more azkhenazi. I have trouble working out what my mother is though.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...pse617e579.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9e695b3c.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps587abed2.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...pse617e579.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psff53ae2d.jpg
http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3cf21873.jpg

Wow! You look exactly like my grandmother!...It is eery...

Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,391,414 times
Depends on what definition you are using. The question "who is a Jew" is very broad and something that not all Jews agree on.

In ancient Israel Jewishness was passed through the father, it was changed to Maternal descent during Roman time as many Jewish women were raped and the child of a Roman mother was considered to be a Roman citizen. This is a practice that the Jews adopted (this is all fact. To deny it is to deny history).

Many Jews, especially Orthodox like to quote scripture from Exodus where Moses tells the Israelit men not to take the gentile women in the land as wives, and not to give their sons to them. They misinterpret this to mean that Jewishness is passed through the mother, and not to intermarry with non Jews. But it's actually referred to not marrying pagans, not gentiles in general, and back during Moses' time women were not of the same standing as men, so Jewishness was not passed Materially.

So the question if you're Jewish comes down to being Jewish in what way? In terms of ethnicity you are part Jewish (yes there is such a thing, DNA proves it and the dictionary even uses Jewish descent as a definition and there are MANY Jewish atheists). In terms of religion, no as you have to convert to Judaism. To which each different branch will have its own standards and practices.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:44 PM

864 posts, read 733,701 times
Quote:
Depends on what definition you are using. The question "who is a Jew" is very broad and something that not all Jews agree on.
It's actually quite simple. If your mother is Jewish, so are you, and all Jews agreed to that when we said "naaseh v'nishma" at Mt. Sinai.
“You shall not intermarry with them; you shall not give your daughter to his son, and you shall not take his daughter for your son, for he will cause your child to turn away from Me, and they will worship the gods of others” (Deuteronomy 7:3–4).
The implication is that children from such a union will be torn away from Judaism. Since the verse states “for he (i.e. a non-Jewish father) will cause your child to turn away . . . ,” this implies that a child born to a Jewish mother is Jewish (“your child”), whereas if a Jewish man marries a non-Jewish woman, the child is not Jewish—and as such there is no concern that “she,” the child’s mother, will turn the child away from Judaism.

The original exegesis appears in the Talmud, Yevamot 23a and Kiddushin 68b, and Pesikta Zuta on this verse.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 558 times
I am curious on how to find out if my family is of Jewish decent. Most of my family has passed away and I have no one to ask about our family history.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I am curious on how to find out if my family is of Jewish decent. Most of my family has passed away and I have no one to ask about our family history.
Let's begin here. What made you curious about this?

Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurablzk219 View Post
DNA test...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
DNA test...
Yeah. Test for the Jew gene.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 AM

21,365 posts, read 24,104,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
DNA test...
For most it will only tell the poster where in the world others have have a similar high percentage of genes. They may end up with a country, but rarely a lineage. They would have a better chance going on FaceBook and contact people with the same/similar last name and look for family trees.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
For most it will only tell the poster where in the world others have have a similar high percentage of genes. They may end up with a country, but rarely a lineage. They would have a better chance going on FaceBook and contact people with the same/similar last name and look for family trees.
Ashkenazi Jew...Genetic...Kohanim gene...genetic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism