U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,345,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Should we count the amount of Mitzvot you violated just by this post. Three come to mind just by your statements:
Not to wrong any one in speech (Lev. 25:17)
Not to carry tales (Lev. 19:16)

Followed by:
To love all human beings who are of the covenant (Lev. 19:18)
I thought you said you were yeshiva educated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:12 PM

21,371 posts, read 24,120,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And you were agnostic. Your pendulum swung 180 degrees, mine swung 45 degrees. I see your memory is starting to come back and maybe remember I spent my early years in the Ger community.

For C-Drs who don't know what Ger is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ger_(Hasidic_dynasty)

Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Instead of editing this comment, I'd rather say that I take this back. You brought a Torah "proof" to make your point, and although its a weak proof, you made your moral point by using the Torah. Well done!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 PM

864 posts, read 733,948 times
Quote:
Should we count the amount of Mitzvot you violated just by this post. Three come to mind just by your statements:
Not to wrong any one in speech (Lev. 25:17)
Not to carry tales (Lev. 19:16)
Since nobody here can figure out whom TFF is talking about, he violated nothing. Sorry if your post was just a joke

Thankfully, we have a Torah as a guide, so all one has to do is follow the Torah and behave the way it teaches. Is there a specific mitzvah "promoting achdus"? I don't think so.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Since nobody here can figure out whom TFF is talking about, he violated nothing. Sorry if your post was just a joke

Thankfully, we have a Torah as a guide, so all one has to do is follow the Torah and behave the way it teaches. Is there a specific mitzvah "promoting achdus"? I don't think so.
Then you have no understanding of Lashon Hara since what I bolded is an insult by it. Achdus is not the issue, the comments that follow it was. Read TFFs comment in #6 a few times and think about it. Those of us who came from a true Orthodox community did not have fixed "dues". We had a hand shake honor system, so those who could afford to pay more paid more and visversa. Those who could not were never looked down upon.

If you want more insight on TFF, then read his posts from a year ago and especially look for the threads that were closed because of him. Most of the posters back then no longer post in this sub-forum as we've moved to another site where Judaism can be spoken about more freely amongst Jews who come from other backgrounds. Keep in mind that he represents himself as a Kohen or Rav on this sub-forum.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:20 AM

939 posts, read 1,262,183 times
Let's stick to the topic. What can us Jews who observe the Torah do to promote achdus with those who do not yet observe as many mitzvot as we do, either through ignorance or through their flawed hashkafah?

Is it enough for us to study the Torah and live our lives full of mitzvot, and to claim that those who break with the mesorah are the ones who are threatening the Jewish people? Or are we also accountable for them and should we be doing more? When the Conservatives say "it's okay to drive on Shabbat", or Open Orthodox rabbis hold interdenominational and interfaith events against the psak of R. Moshe Feinstein ztz''l, is it them threatening to tear klal Yisrael apart, or is it a failure of the whole Jewish people, the shomer Shabbos people included?

Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Let's stick to the topic. What can us Jews who observe the Torah do to promote achdus with those who do not yet observe as many mitzvot as we do, either through ignorance or through their flawed hashkafah?

Is it enough for us to study the Torah and live our lives full of mitzvot, and to claim that those who break with the mesorah are the ones who are threatening the Jewish people? Or are we also accountable for them and should we be doing more? When the Conservatives say "it's okay to drive on Shabbat", or Open Orthodox rabbis hold interdenominational and interfaith events against the psak of R. Moshe Feinstein ztz''l, is it them threatening to tear klal Yisrael apart, or is it a failure of the whole Jewish people, the shomer Shabbos people included?
Thanks for the insightful post, Usario.

IMO, shomer shabbos Jews hold as much, if not more responsibility for the current failure of the Jewish people to properly observe Torah. The Tinokim know not what they do and it's difficult to hold them accountable for their untorahdik actions. Those Jews with significant Torah knowledge but corrupted hashkafos - I simply have no idea what the solution is with those folks. But the observant Yid, we must focus on perfecting ourselves and our observance of the mitzvahs, (and by doing so, perfecting the world), to ensure that there is and will always be a core of Yidden who connect with Torah and mitzvahs, in order to fulfill our people's committment with hashem. We know 90% of the Jews refused to leave Bavli to return to Yerushalayim at the end of galus. These Jews eventually vanished from the earth. We are in a long dark galus today, and I suspect when moschiach comes, the same dynamic will apply. Hopefully we all can affect one or two Yidden each to come join us to return to Torah, as we jews value every single Yid who we can save. Save one Jew, it's as if you've saved the world.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM

For those who don't understand what is being covered in the past few posts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lashon_hara

Old 05-14-2013, 03:26 PM

864 posts, read 733,948 times
Quote:
For those who don't understand what is being covered in the past few posts:
Wiki is not the place to learn hilchas loshon horah. Study sefer Chofetz Chaim and Shmiras Halashon.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Wiki is not the place to learn hilchas loshon horah. Study sefer Chofetz Chaim and Shmiras Halashon.
If you meant this statement for me, then read #12 until it sinks in that I'm an ex-hasid. If you meant it for the general C-D public telling people to read books from the 1800's is useless since you're not linking to a short explanation of what the words mean. This is a sub-forum that covers multiple topics. This is not a religious stand alone forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism