U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 PM
 
864 posts, read 734,055 times
Reputation: 251

Advertisements

Quote:
If you meant this statement for me, then read #12 until it sinks in that I'm an ex-hasid.
Then you should know that derogatory postings on anonymous forums are not loshon harah (however you wish to spell it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2013, 04:05 AM
 
Location: Long Island
1,721 posts, read 1,389,387 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Although we all have demands on our more left-wing and theological brethren, what responsibility do we more observant Jews have toward those who are more liberal than we are? Both as a community and as individuals?

It's fine for the Conservatives to protest against Reform endorsing patrilineal descent, for the Modern Orthodox to protest the Conservatives letting women be rabbis and count in a minyan, and for the Haredim to oppose the Modern Orthodox for not studying enough Torah and seeking too many kulot, but what about us who baruch hashem are following the Torah precisely as God wanted us to*? How can we work toward a united Jewish people?

*I hope the easily-offended can pick up on the hints of sarcasm
I think that the way to works towards unity is to understand that we all are working towards the same goal. And encouraging others to embrace and follow Torah is a wonderful thing, provided it is done in a way that actually motivates people in that direction rather than pushes them further away.

Show others how a life full of mitzvot embodies the love and peace of God, how it encourages compassion, fellowship, thoughtfulness, shalom and shalem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 AM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,592 posts, read 12,346,799 times
Reputation: 15498
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I think that the way to works towards unity is to understand that we all are working towards the same goal. And encouraging others to embrace and follow Torah is a wonderful thing, provided it is done in a way that actually motivates people in that direction rather than pushes them further away.

Show others how a life full of mitzvot embodies the love and peace of God, how it encourages compassion, fellowship, thoughtfulness, shalom and shalem.
Well put.

A good start, in my opinion, if people (in this case Jews) could just be more kind and tolerant of one another. One should not be chastised for being "a fanatic" or "too strict" neither should one be chastised for being "not observant enough" or "a fake and improper Jew."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,371 posts, read 24,126,995 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Then you should know that derogatory postings on anonymous forums are not loshon harah (however you wish to spell it).
But on C-D per the TOS they are personal attacks, even if the person is not a member of C-D.

And some reading for you:

http://www.kolshofar.org/docs/LawsofLashonHara.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,538 posts, read 4,693,948 times
Reputation: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Then you should know that derogatory postings on anonymous forums are not loshon harah (however you wish to spell it).
I disagree with this. It seems contrary to the spirit of lashon hara. Unkind words breed negative attitudes. If your truthful but negative words are not meant warn someone of a real potential danger what's the point? What are you trying to accomplish by sharing? I tell my kids that if your words are not helping someone to be a better person, if you dont truly have another's well-being in mind, then it's better left unsaid. Internet or not.

Sorry for barging in w/o an introduction. I usually stay away from religious or political forums...too nutty. I've been lurking for a few days and the natives seem pretty friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 01:23 PM
 
864 posts, read 734,055 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
But on C-D per the TOS they are personal attacks, even if the person is not a member of C-D.
Then why invoke "loshon horah." Tell it like it is: your personal attacks are in violation of the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM
 
3,964 posts, read 3,346,023 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Then why invoke "loshon horah." Tell it like it is: your personal attacks are in violation of the TOS.
Personal attacks on an anonymous web board may violate the TOS of this forum, but they are clearly not the same thing as violating a mitzvah d'oraisa (from the Torah). I was accused of lashen horah, which would indeed be violating a mitzvah d'oraisa if it were true. It's an awefully big accusation, but thankfully the accuser clearly has no grasp of the halachos, so I'll be dan l'kaf z'chus (give my fellow Jew the benefit of the doubt) and assume he made this accusation out of ignorance of the halacha, not out of ill intent.

Quote:
Sorry for barging in w/o an introduction. I usually stay away from religious or political forums...too nutty. I've been lurking for a few days and the natives seem pretty friendly.
Pegotty, we've had a very calm and informative forum going here for much of the last year. A negative influence has recently sprung up that has been derailing the forum, but I know the Mods will get this back under control again shortly. Please stick around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,538 posts, read 4,693,948 times
Reputation: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Personal attacks on an anonymous web board may violate the TOS of this forum, but they are clearly not the same thing as violating a mitzvah d'oraisa (from the Torah). I was accused of lashen horah, which would indeed be violating a mitzvah d'oraisa if it were true. It's an awefully big accusation, but thankfully the accuser clearly has no grasp of the halachos, so I'll be dan l'kaf z'chus (give my fellow Jew the benefit of the doubt) and assume he made this accusation out of ignorance of the halacha, not out of ill .
So forthose of us less educated, can you explain the halacha? I know it means evil speech...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 02:08 PM
 
3,964 posts, read 3,346,023 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
So forthose of us less educated, can you explain the halacha? I know it means evil speech...
I doubt you're less educated, you just have not been exposed to the awesome writings of an influential early 19th century Lithuanian rabbi - Yisrael Meir Kagan - nicknamed the Chofetz Chaim (after the famous book of the same name he wrote).

The discussion on what is and what is not lashen hara should be it's own thread. I would suggest starting one if you are truly interesting in learning more. I can't give you a summary in a few sentences. I can tell you, where the other poster erred, is that lashen hara can only be levied between Jews, and that the person spoken ill about must be a real person, and not an anonymous person on a web board where nobody knows anybody's true identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 02:15 PM
 
864 posts, read 734,055 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
So forthose of us less educated, can you explain the halacha? I know it means evil speech...
http://torah.org/learning/halashon/#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top