U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:34 PM

21,380 posts, read 24,159,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Then why invoke "loshon horah." Tell it like it is: your personal attacks are in violation of the TOS.
I invoked the mitzot that were violated and not L"H, read the thread again.

So you personally attack me for commenting on the following post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflipflop
A guy in my town (many I'm sure) davens at all the Orthodox shuls in the neighborhood. He stays just long enough at each to build relationships, but not long enough to be expected to pay dues.
Then in the name of "achdus," he packs up and starts davening at the shul down
the street. In reality, we all know he's just a schnor, ...I know that people like these are just "takers,"...
Calling a person a schnor ((actually spelled schnorrer) is a freeloader) and a taker are derogatory comments. The poster goes further and generalizes by saying many are like him is L"H since now he has stated an entire group of people to a community of people.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 05-17-2013 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 02:39 PM

3,966 posts, read 3,349,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Calling a person a schnor ((actually spelled schnorrer) is a freeloader) and a taker are derogatory comments. The poster goes further and generalizes by saying many are like him is L"H since now he has stated an entire group of people to a community of people.
Pruzhany, again you show no grasp of the halachos of lashen hara. Iwish gave a really nice link in the previous post to yours. If you're going to accuse somebody of L'H, it might help if you actually understand what is and what is not lashen hara. Click the link. I dare you to learn something.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Pruzhany, again you show no grasp of the halachos of lashen hara. Iwish gave a really nice link in the previous post to yours. If you're going to accuse somebody of L'H, it might help if you actually understand what is and what is not lashen hara. Click the link. I dare you to learn something.
Per the link:

Quote:
It is forbidden to speak Lashon Hara against one another, even if the
information is true, and even if told to only one person - all the more so is it
forbidden to speak L"H before a group of listeners. The greater the number
of listeners that one gathers to hear his L"H, the greater his sin, for the
subject is further disgraced by the heightened publicity against him.
Also, the speaker causes more people to sin by putting them in the position to
listen to L"H.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 PM

3,966 posts, read 3,349,384 times
Excellent job, Pruzhany. Keep up the learning. It would be my deepest pleasure if you could build a solid, well founded Torah argument to prove me wrong. You're not there yet, but certainly off to a good start.

Hint: you still have not defined what L'H is, who it applies to, etc...

Old 05-17-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post

Hint: you still have not defined what L'H is, who it applies to, etc...
Start a thread after Shabbat.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Jewish unity and preventing divisions among us ...

....How can we work toward a united Jewish people?
By the Charedi being more open minded and not creating and not re-creating new rules to fit their lifestyle or by trying to force others to follow theirs. By accepting people for being Jewish and assuming nothing by just looking at them. To give you an example, I was in Boro Park in NY for the past few days. Yesterday as I was walking down 14th Ave a group of Yingerman were walking near me and starting making insults about me since I was not wearing black. They made a few nasty comments thinking I wouldn't understand them. I turned around confronted them and spoke a few choice sentences in Yiddish which included a list of mitzvot they violated. They were shocked and didn't know what to say. They didn't even offer apologies for their comments. But I hold no ill will against them, because this is the way they were brought up and this is one of the reasons I left the Hassidic community. I've lived on both sides and the actions of many UOs, but the rest of the Jews get the punishment for it. One just has to look at YouTube and would see most civilian violence done against Arabs are done by people with peyas and wearing tzitzit. Yet walk through seculat areas and there no issues between Jews and Arabs.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Does this sound like unity?

Quote:

Jerusalem - Dozens of haredim threw stones at two haredi IDF soldiers
Jerusalem - Dozens Throw Stones At 2 Haredi Soldiers In Mea She'arim -- VosIzNeias.com

or this?

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish men stone Israeli police officers injuring 8 -

Last edited by Pruzhany; 05-19-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM

864 posts, read 734,487 times
Terrible, just terrible!
I find it strange that all you see on the accompanying video are police pushing and dragging chareidim who seem quite happy to be arrested. One draggee is yelling how they (police) beat children.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Terrible, just terrible!
I find it strange that all you see on the accompanying video are police pushing and dragging chareidim who seem quite happy to be arrested. One draggee is yelling how they (police) beat children.
The poor innocent youths:

Quote:

Throughout
the rally, a group of several dozen youths heckled police and
at times threw stones, concrete blocks, dirty diapers and metal bars at riot
police, while also setting trash cans on fire. Whereas a Palestinian
demonstration would have been attacked after the first stone, police stood idly
by through three hours of speeches, with two of them getting injured.

http://972mag.com/tens-of-thousands-protest-plan-to-draft-ultra-orthodox-into-israeli-army/71636/

So its OK for Haredi youths to try to kill fellow Israelis, but its an issue for them to join the IDF to protect fellow Israelis. And you don't see a problem here???

Last edited by Pruzhany; 05-19-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 AM

Don't tell me I'm not Jewish

Quote:
No one has the right to tell me I’m not Jewish. It may be easy for to the haredi
and Orthodox public to claim that liberal Jews are not actually Jewish from its
isolated “private home for haredi Jews”, as some of its members see it. However,
the 1,714,000 million Reform American Jews, 1,297,000 Conservative American Jews
and more than a million other American Jews who do not associate themselves with
a specific denomination, some of whom are Israel’s most dedicated advocates and
financial backers, most certainly disagree
Don't tell me I'm not Jewish - Israel Opinion, Ynetnews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism