U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 01:10 PM

939 posts, read 1,260,957 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Jews,

What are your plans for Shavuot? I'm planning to go to the synagogue for services and dinner for erev Shavuot and go attend their beit midrash. Then I'll eat a lot of cheese and ice cream, even more than I usually do! And of course "shmooze" with people at the synagogue I haven't seen in a while. Unfortunately my employer does not grant a lot of holidays, but I am going to try my best to limit my mechallel yom tov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 01:27 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,339,069 times
Sounds nice, Usario.

We have Mincha at 8pm at shul. I'll bring my older boys to shul with me for the davening. My wife will be home finishing the cheesecake and getting the babies off to bed. Maariv is at 9pm, then we'll walk home for dinner with my wife. She'll then head off to bed while my boys and I clean up after dinner. At midnight my shul starts all night learning. We have 4 group shiurs one after the other that go from midnight to alos hashakar (maybe 5:45am?), at which point we'll daven sharcharis. Historically, not the greatest kavana for tefillah when we've all been up all night, but I've always loved the feeling of walking home from shul after a night of learning and a couple hours of davening at roughly the same time the general public is heading off to work in the morning. I'll probably crash until lunch is ready, then be sure my wife gets a good afternoon shluff in. Then back to shul at 8pm the next night. Rinse and repeat.

The only thing I like better than 2-day Yom Tov's are 3-day Yom Tov's. My kids have so much fun playing with their neighborhood friends. I love unplugging from the grid. My wife gets to sleep in each day, which she loves. And spending time with my fellow minyanaires, sending our tefillos to hashem in a group effort - priceless!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:28 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,385,836 times
We'll be spending a large part of it at the synagogue. There's a "cheesecake and blintz cookoff" before service tonight, and the study session afterward.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:40 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,339,069 times
Also, I'd like to wish all of you a chag semeiach for the 3,325th anniversary of Matan Torah!

Nice snippet of an article here:

Quote:
Once, after Reb Sholom Shwadron gave a speech a few days before Shavuos, one of the audience came over to him. He had a few issues in Yiddishkeit that didnít sit well with him. He was a very smart and intelligent person who had once been non-religious, now he had become observant and attended shiurim. Therefore Reb Sholom understood that he looked disturbed about the issues, but he meant well and really wanted to understand.

ďReb Sholom. You rabbis know how to bend everything your way. Iíve heard much about the importance of learning Torah and how it has to be the center of oneís life. This type of talk sounds a bit exaggerated to me, but I understand. However, this time I think you went too far. You talked about the holiday of Matan Torah and how we learn the whole night, and how important it is to learn all night. I donít understand this at all. How did you manage to bend everything to learning Torah?
Click here to see the rest:

Chag Sameiach from Matzav.com, 3,325th Anniversary of Matan Torah Ľ Matzav.com - The Online Voice of Torah Jewry

Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM

3,827 posts, read 3,511,004 times
Services and late night learning with ice cream on wed.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
I'll be nearby. A group of us will be at Beth Israel later and have a late night together off of Garth for a few days.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM

2,591 posts, read 6,000,750 times
Wine and cheese gathering for us heathens. Learned conversations on important issues. Cheesecake for dessert. Chag Sameach to everyone.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:46 PM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Since currently I am on a temporary overseas assignment where is no Jewish community, I bought cheese and had a vegetable pizza to celebrate the holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism