U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM

939 posts, read 1,262,183 times

Advertisements

Not sure whether this should go in the Food section of C-D, but since food is such an important part of our religion and culture, I think it is worthwhile to open a thread in davka the Judaism part of C-D.

We can talk about favorite holiday or Shabbat foods or simply foods that Jews enjoy.

I love spicy food so there aren't a lot of options in Ashkenazi cuisine. When I visited Israel, I discovered harissa, this hot sauce from North Africa that I love putting on everything. Unlike most American hot sauces, it doesn't have an overpowering vinegar taste, and has spices in it other than chili, which is what I love about it. I love ptitim (Israeli "pearl" couscous) and falafel on laffa (which I always put hot sauce on). Laffa is like pita bread but it's larger. I also enjoy chocolate balls and shakshuka, a North African Jewish dish of poached eggs in spicy tomato sauce.

I do enjoy Ashkenazi food from time to time, never passing on having a good bagel or potato kugel. But I can't stand their gefilte fish or pickled herring. Ugh! Thankfully I'm trying to go vegetarian so I won't need to eat those, though I do miss lox and brisket, staples of the Ashkenazi diet. And kneidelach (matza balls) doesn't taste as good with vegetable stock .

What are your favorite Jewish religious or cultural foods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,345,152 times
#1: Chulent (preferrably made by a Jew of Morrocan or Syrian decent).

#2: Any other Chulent

Old 05-28-2013, 02:25 PM

21,371 posts, read 24,120,799 times
Borakus, Baba Ganush, Matza Brei, Kugel, Kishka

Old 05-28-2013, 04:04 PM

864 posts, read 733,948 times
Latkes, gefilte fish, knaidlach (matzoh balls), challah

Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 PM

2,591 posts, read 6,004,694 times
Felafel, Israeli salad, hummus, lox, corned beef, pastrami

Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM

32,094 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Matzo Balls in chicken soup as well as lox with bagels and cream cheese are among my favorites. I also like challah and much refer an Israeli salad over an American salad. Shakshuka and couscous served by North African Jewish Israelis are also food that I like to eat sometimes. (On a side note, the Chinese have a similar dish to shakshuka that they serve with rice, but it has different spices than the North African style shakshuka but it is also quite good.)

Old 05-28-2013, 05:52 PM

939 posts, read 1,262,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
#1: Chulent (preferrably made by a Jew of Morrocan or Syrian decent).

#2: Any other Chulent
Someone on this board really likes cholent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
pastrami
How could I forget pastrami! One of my favorite Ashkenazi foods. To parody the famous saying: Es iz shver, a vegetarier tzu sein! (is that how you say vegetarian in Yiddish?)

Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,518,128 times
Challa
Falafel s
Israeli salad
Matzoh ball soup, but the balls have shreds of chicken.
Tsimmes
Every meal during Passover. Especially when sharing with other people, their recipes.
Home made chocolate toffee walnut covered matzah.

Tuna fish. ( Not just any tuna fish) The one served at our Oneg Shabbat in our synagogue.
The ladies will not give me their secret recipe.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,679,310 times
-potato knishes
-bagels and cream cheese
-bialies (not sure if they're Jewish or just NY)
-challah
-falafel
-noodle kugel - my SIL's recipe
-potato kugel

Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,107,223 times
I hate to rain on the parade, but it seems to me that there is a lot of mixing of essentially middle European food staples, the application of Yiddish to most, with a smattering of foods that are truly Jewish in origin. For example the ubiquitous bagel is of 17th century Polish origin, where that origin is Jewish is highly speculative at best and that is just one example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism