Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,513 times

Advertisements

What siddur(im) (Jewish ritual prayerbook) do you use or would recommend?

I like the Koren Sacks siddur, it's easy to read and compact yet contains everything. The commentary is informative and not overly ideological. I wish there was an interlinear version!

I don't really like the Conservative Sim Shalom because the translations are often politically correct and inaccurate, as though they're counting on the people reading it to not understand what the Hebrew is actually saying.

Artscroll is okay, and I like their interlinear versions. However their commentary is very idealogical ("women should not" instead of "women are exempt") and assumes an ultra-Orthodox worldview, as though it was THE worldview of everyone who follows the Torah. I'm not comfortable with their Ashkenazified transliteration, which is even present in their Nusach Sefard edition!

I'm interested in knowing about other siddurim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
I can't really help.

I've used the same ones you have listed, as well as the Conservative's Siddur Hadash. It is only for Shabbat and festivals, and suffers from the same issues that are found in Sim Shalom.
Out of the ones I have, I prefer the Koren Sacks.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Siddur Avodat Israel printed by Sinai Publishing in Israel.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM

864 posts, read 870,631 times
Quote:
Artscroll is okay, and I like their interlinear versions. However their commentary is very idealogical ("women should not" instead of "women are exempt") and assumes an ultra-Orthodox worldview, as though it was THE worldview of everyone who follows the Torah.
It was the worldview of the Anshei Knesses Hagdolah who compiled the Siddur.

My recommendation, for what it's worth, is to learn to read Hebrew so you don't need a transliterated Siddur at all. As per instructions, "women are exempt" or "women should not" I don 't know what instructions you're referring to, unless it's the bracha "shelo asanu isha", in which case it IS 'women should not' recite this bracha.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:27 PM

I don't need transliteration, however my Hebrew is not so great that I can do without a translation. I know a lot of Modern Hebrew but I'm not completely fluent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
My recommendation, for what it's worth, is to learn to read Hebrew so you don't need a transliterated Siddur at all. As per instructions, "women are exempt" or "women should not" I don 't know what instructions you're referring to.
I'm referring to מצוות עשה שהזמן גרמא "mitzvot aseh shehazman grama" (positive time-bound commandments) like wearing tallit (prayer shawl) and tefillin (prayer boxes). Women were traditionally exempt from performing these commandments but IMO it's a chiddush to say that women wearing them is assur (forbidden).

Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM

864 posts, read 870,631 times
So censor your siddur. Cross it off and change the words to "exempt". I don't see what the big deal is. One needs a siddur for davening. Everything else is superfluous. Decide how you want to daven--nusach sfard or ashkenaz and buy a siddur accordingly.

If they used the words "assur" without providing a source, call them up and ask them why they used the word "assur".

Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
I'm no help. I love Sim Shalom.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 PM

83 posts, read 135,669 times
I use Tehillat Hashem (Nusach Ha-Ari Zal), though I've never heard of this anywhere else. Is it out of print now?

My mom gave me this a long time ago, and now it proves helpful for many different occasions.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:53 PM

That's the Chabad siddur. You can find it at every Chabad House, or at their publishing house, Kehot.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
I'm a goy, but, for what it's worth, I like Ha Siddur Ha Shalem by Philip Birnbaum and Daily Prayer Book by the late Dr. Joseph Hertz, Chief Rabbi of the British Empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism