Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
I believe Mightqueen was joking.
Of course I was, and I believe theflipflop knew that but just took the opportunity to say what he wanted to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:31 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Christianity is not a sect of Judaism. You could argue that Ebionites, who see Jesus as the messiah but NOT God, and who follow the Judaism of the Pharisees, as Jewish. But other kinds of Christianity, including "Messianic Judaism" are not Jewish.
That is correct. The only reason to attempt to connect Judaism and Chrstianity, two entirely unrelated belief systems, is to mooch some respect onto Chrstianity by using deceptive words in an attempt to lend credibility to Chrstianity. Not cool that guy Paul.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Quote:
Christianity is not a sect of Judaism. You could argue that Ebionites, who see Jesus as the messiah but NOT God, and who follow the Judaism of the Pharisees, as Jewish. But other kinds of Christianity, including "Messianic Judaism" are not Jewish.
I know a lady who is Messianic and feels Jewish due to her grandma being Jewish. Somehow she found a Messianic congregation which has now closed so she goes to the Orthodox and feels the connection of the Jewish teachings, but she doesn't follow anything but the reading, I think. It's in her heart and soul.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I don't think I would describe it being "called", but I do think that some of us are certainly drawn toward Judaism. For me, there came a point in my studies where I started to see things through a more Jewish perspective and I felt like it was the only place I could feel at home. While people convert for many reasons, I do think think that some of us, for what ever reason, identify most strongly with it.

It's written that every Jew who "ever was, is, or will be" was present at Sinai, which would include those of us who choose to become Jewish. I don't know; maybe we're born with Jewish souls.

Doesn't HaShem say that He will gather Israel from the four corners of the earth?...Would that include descendants of Jews who were forced to convert in various ways and eventually lost their identities?...

Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I doubt G-d wants more people to become Jews. We just need to be better at being Jews. If you're non Jewish, you're most likely fine the way you are. It's only the very rare and very special gentile who is a real candidate for becoming Jewish.

So how does the Jewish population become like the stars of the heavens?...

Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
God calls no man- Man must call to God.

What about Abram?...

Old 08-07-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Being part of the old Jewish sect called Christianity...is as close as I am going to get.

You mean the people of the Way...

Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:

I would say that The Way began as a sect of Judaism, just as Pharasee, Zealots, Essenes and Sadducces, and ended up being severely Hellinized and Westernized...As far as Yeshua is concerned, He was not the only one referred to as Mashiach...

Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So how does the Jewish population become like the stars of the heavens?...
According to chazal (our Jewish sages), that passage refers to the mitzvos we do - not the number of Jews. We become like the stars of the heavens by performing mitzvos, which is the only sure thing that brings us closer to Hashem.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,436 times
Quote:
Christianity started as an early Jewish sect. Messianic Jews are Jews who believe in Jesus as the Messiah based on from the Messianic Prophecies from the Hebrew Bible and Hebrew Scriptures. Messianic Jews are not Christians because they are not baptized, nor do they go to church or celebrate Christian holidays. Messianic Jews believe that you could still be Jewish and believe in Jesus because the Jews were originally God's chosen people but no longer unless you believe in Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism