Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,942 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here known of anyone who was brought up Orthodox but not as strict and doesn't follow the ways, and they change to the Reform place of worship~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM

864 posts, read 870,883 times
Doubt such an animal exists.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:43 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,864,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Has anyone here known of anyone who was brought up Orthodox but not as strict and doesn't follow the ways, and they change to the Reform place of worship~?
Much of my congregation, actually. The synagogue was orthodox until the mid 90's when it shifted to conservative. And in the last few years it's started moving towards reform.

We're a military town, and much of population are transplants to the area. Many of our members were raised orthodox or very conservative up north but have gradually move to reform. Even our current rabbi grew up orthodox before moving into the more liberal streams.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Google the phrase "off the derech." Sadly, there are far too many Orthodox Jews who lose their Yiddishkite. But very very few actually become Reform. The vast majority just end up becoming nothing. For somebody raised Orthodox, going to a reform shul can be an uber bizzare experience.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,980,478 times
Anyone read a book by Deborah Feldman?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 AM

864 posts, read 870,883 times
Quote:
Couldn't read past the introduction 'cuz I know her personally.

Quote:
The synagogue was orthodox until the mid 90's when it shifted to conservative.
The question is: Were the people orthodox?

I agree with Flip Flop. OTD's just become loose canons. They're not looking for watered down versions of Judaism. As for belonging to a community, they sort of hang around together.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Doubt such an animal exists.

I know someone who attends the Reform from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Much of my congregation, actually. The synagogue was orthodox until the mid 90's when it shifted to conservative. And in the last few years it's started moving towards reform.

We're a military town, and much of population are transplants to the area. Many of our members were raised orthodox or very conservative up north but have gradually move to reform. Even our current rabbi grew up orthodox before moving into the more liberal streams.

Sounds like a congregation here that has gone from Orthodox and then switched to Conservative in recent years....from what I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Google the phrase "off the derech." Sadly, there are far too many Orthodox Jews who lose their Yiddishkite. But very very few actually become Reform. The vast majority just end up becoming nothing. For somebody raised Orthodox, going to a reform shul can be an uber bizzare experience.

And yes it is bizzare, but there are all types of people in this world~! I've known Orthodox people growing up of which they have turned their back or their upbringing....and later come back into it....somewhat....and others who don't....and another ending up at a Christian Church and he calls himself a "Christian Jew".....and that is bizarre~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I have and I've got the book. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot that I didn't know about the ultra Orthodox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Couldn't read past the introduction 'cuz I know her personally.

The question is: Were the people orthodox?

I agree with Flip Flop. OTD's just become loose canons. They're not looking for watered down versions of Judaism. As for belonging to a community, they sort of hang around together.

If you know Deborah personally, has she totally left Judaism or does she now belong and practice Conservative or what~?

Anyways, the person I know who grew up Orthodox wasn't brought up in the traditional ways like you would see say in NYC. They ate out in non-kosher restaurants growing up but they didn't eat meat....maybe they did, I don't know that part. They didn't go to Day School, but a Public Elementary School and stayed out of school for only the High Holidays. They worked on the Sabbath and etc. Later in life I ran into her and she told me that she's been going to a Reform Congregation from time to time and really enjoyed it.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 AM

I take it you didn't care for the book or Ms. Feldman? ( Iwish)
I am not going to pass judgement on either.
To me it was an interesting topic. Some of the utube clips of her speaking arrangements were hard for me to watch.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
To write a book and attempt to say there's something good about what she did is a big desecration of Hashem's name. It's fine if she wants to go off the derech. But she should have kept that a private matter.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Veggie,

I can't say I enjoyed her book, but I did read it and some of her blogs. This was a while back.
It takes all kinds.
Iwish, do you know if she is happier in her life now?
Flip, that is certainly your view and opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism