U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
No, most Jews believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old.
If that is true, then I am very surprised. I thought almost all Jews would believe in evolution.

In many ways, this forum has really opened my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 03:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,560,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If that is true, then I am very surprised. I thought almost all Jews would believe in evolution.

Jewish people comes in all forms and sects. There are atheist Jews, orthodox Jews, liberal Jews, Messianic Jews, etc. A Jew is a person born of Jewish mother or a convert to Judaism.

Atheist Jews believe in evolution, while most other religious Jews reject it and believe that God created the universe and Earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure if you polled American Jews (all of them), you would see about 85% believe in evolution, lock stock and barrel. A significant majority of Reform and Conservative Jews are going to believe in it.

With Orthodox Jews, the prevailing idea I hear is that the earth was created in 6 days, but we are not sure how long a day is - possibly a day in the Torah corresponds to a billion years by how we currently calculate days. Then on Shabbos (the 7th day of creation), the way we understand a day today began. Just a guess, but I would think Jews believing the Earth is exactly 5773 years old (calculated by today's definition of a day) is perhaps 5% of Jews, or less.

From reading the Chrstianity forum, it appears there are quite a few Chrstians who believe in a young earth.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:35 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,688,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I'm pretty sure if you polled American Jews (all of them), you would see about 85% believe in evolution, lock stock and barrel. A significant majority of Reform and Conservative Jews are going to believe in it.

With Orthodox Jews, the prevailing idea I hear is that the earth was created in 6 days, but we are not sure how long a day is - possibly a day in the Torah corresponds to a billion years by how we currently calculate days. Then on Shabbos (the 7th day of creation), the way we understand a day today began. Just a guess, but I would think Jews believing the Earth is exactly 5773 years old (calculated by today's definition of a day) is perhaps 5% of Jews, or less.

From reading the Chrstianity forum, it appears there are quite a few Chrstians who believe in a young earth.
Absolutely. Most Jews are pretty mainstream in their ideologies.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:49 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,560,499 times
Quote:

If a Jew believes in evolution then they do not believe in God. According to Judaism, God created Earth and no "big bang" thing.

Schockingly, there are more atheists Jews than in any other religion. Most Jews do not even belong to a synagogue, and I wouldn't be surprised if Judaism would die out (except the culture and the name) if it was not of the rapid growth of Orthodox Jews who have lots of kids and strict about Torah observant.

David Silverman, the President of American Atheist is Jewish himself indeed.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 AM

3,404 posts, read 2,249,298 times
Quote:
If a Jew believes in evolution then they do not believe in God. According to Judaism, God created Earth and no "big bang" thing.
This is a silly thing to say... Jews are not bound to a literal interpretation of their own holy writings any more than any other religion. Just as Christians interpret, "... go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." figuratively, so too can the creation story be interpreted in non-literal ways.

-NoCapo

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Schockingly, there are more atheists Jews than in any other religion. Most Jews do not even belong to a synagogue, and I wouldn't be surprised if Judaism would die out (except the culture and the name) if it was not of the rapid growth of Orthodox Jews who have lots of kids and strict about Torah observant.

David Silverman, the President of American Atheist is Jewish himself indeed.
Lo kasha ( not a proof ).

Most Jews believe hashem created the world. Some think in a literal 6 days, but most think in billions of years. Does not make them athiest.

And there's zero evidence to suggest Judaism is dying out. That's your own desires speaking. Stick to the truth please.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Most Jews believe hashem created the world.
But do you think they believe in evolution?

For example, I believe my mother gave birth to me and another female gave birth to her. I come from a long line of females.

I believe my female ancestor who lived 10 million years ago probably looked like a monkey. The one who lived 250 million years ago was more like a weasel. My ancestor who lived 600 million years ago may have been a fish.

Do you think most Jews agree with me?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
But do you think they believe in evolution?
Let me say it more clearly. A vast number of Jews believe G-d created evolution. Where the religious and non-religious Jews disagree is how to define a day. Oh, and the monkey/fish bit.

I do not think my ancestors had gills, nor did they eat bananas and make monkey sounds. Although my first ancestor (Adam Rishon) did have an opaque body. So I guess that's just as space alien a concept as believing the insanity that we came from monkeys.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 AM

23,991 posts, read 32,798,789 times
Quote:
Jewish people comes in all forms and sects. There are atheist Jews, orthodox Jews, liberal Jews, Messianic Jews, etc. A Jew is a person born of Jewish mother or a convert to Judaism.

Atheist Jews believe in evolution, while most other religious Jews reject it and believe that God created the universe and Earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th.
That's ridiculous. As ridiculous as being a Messianic Jew. A "messianic Jew" is a Christian. (Someone had to say it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism